Many private hospitals ready to offer quick Covid-19 jabs - expect to pay 2,000 baht a dose

webfact

On 3/6/2021 at 10:58 AM, tandor said:
When the cost of sending it and service charges are added they expected to offer the vaccine to patients at 2,000 baht per dose.

Having the recommended two doses would therefore cost 4,000 baht 

Wow, I just learned that 2000 x 2 = 4000.

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 3:00 PM, MadMac said:

You never need to wait long to see the greed popping up in this country. Big money to make easily.

Well, you also could say they are very business minded which sounds much more positive. And to be honest: if I could I would sell it, too. 

1 hour ago, josephbloggs said:

So the private businesses (hospitals) got it free did they?  Please post a source for this claim.

Not sure about the rest but I read that China donated the first batch free of charge to several countries. This is one of the links.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Philippines-receives-first-batch-of-COVID-19-vaccine-donated-by-China

4 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Not sure about the rest but I read that China donated the first batch free of charge to several countries. This is one of the links.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Philippines-receives-first-batch-of-COVID-19-vaccine-donated-by-China

I didn't realize the Philippines was a private business (hospital).

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

That is a donation to a government, not a donation to private enterprise.  Is that really so hard to get your head around?

4 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That is a donation to a government, not a donation to private enterprise.  Is that really so hard to get your head around?

You think that the private hospitals don't get it from the government?

I need to fly to the UK in June, I can get it for free in the UK, just need to be sure that I can fly and not sure what the requirements will be from airlines and UK goverment regards quareentine so will pay for the vacinne here in Thailand and 4,000 baht is not expensive, thought they would charge a lot more.

8 minutes ago, EricTh said:

You think that the private hospitals don't get it from the government?

As has been clearly reported, private hospitals are contracting their own purchases from the manufacturers.  

41 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh God, no, I don't think the donations get given to private hospitals for free.  I also don't think they get given to them at all.  As has been specified the private hospitals are sourcing their own vaccines just as you would expect a private business to do.

I really think you should stop digging - that hole is getting pretty big now.

The current  price for the Astrazeneca vaccine , to the Thailand government , is 150 baht per dose so a private source may well be in that region and that leaves 3700 baht change from the 4000 baht 2 dose cost , they must be paying their nurses well . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunG said:

As has been clearly reported, private hospitals are contracting their own purchases from the manufacturers.  

Do you think that manufacturers have enough to meet all the demand in the first place?

There is no indication that the government will only distribute to public hospitals with the limited supply since some were donated in the first place.

To be fair, the government would distribute to both public and private hospitals first. After all, they are all Thai citizens.

Why should government give only to public hospitals? Do you have the link to prove that?

Edited by EricTh

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

<snip>

Do you have the link to prove that?

Yes.  The very first post of this thread, which you apparently didn't read.  From the post the private hospitals say:

They will present documentation to the FDA whereby they will act as legal  importers of vaccine. 

<snip>

A source at Thonburi suggested that they would buy vaccine at a cost of $17 to $40 a dose.

As a previous poster suggested, you really should quit digging.  The hole is getting pretty deep.

Edited by KhunG
  • Like 1

Isn't there a fundamental flaw in this whole thread.

Where exactly are these private hospitals going to source the shots from?

Governments across the world have secured contracts with the vaccine suppliers for millions  of doses locking in supply for the next year or so.

The idea that Hospital Nakorn Backoybeyond is going to have shots to sell at any price is just a fantasy.

....and by the way I have  a bridge I'd like to sell upfront selling price 10 gazillion $$

7 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

You need two shots.  2 x 2,000 = 4,000.  Sorry, let me put it like you:

You need TWO SHOTS !!!!!  2 x 2000 = 4,000 !!!!!!!!!    There, that's better.

well i never knew 2 times 2 equals for......thanks for telling me how to do maths !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some vaccines only require on shot so one times one equals WHAT ???

On 3/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, VBF said:

I don't live in Thailand - I'm a regular and frequent visitor from UK, which is indeed, compared to Thailand, "a high paying environment," of course. I do have several Western friends living in various parts of Thailand. 

My contention is that in general, Westerners  living in Thailand (particularly retirees) should have put by sufficient funds such that 4000 THB is affordable. I didn't consider your situation - to be clear, are you saying you are in the same position as Thai people financially? If so, and presuming you paid Thai taxes would you not qualify for a free vac if it was offered to Thais?  I'm not criticising by any means, just interested. 

Foreigners seem to get dumped after 63 years old, I don't get retirement pension from them, all they did was pay back half of my social security payments, and took away my free medical card. 

Luckily I qualify for a UK pension from 21 years working in the UK and I have an injury pension, I did not become a Thai citizen so I am an outsider as far as the system is concerned. (unlike many other countries that take care if you work for a certain number of years) 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Why should I take a vaccine for something I've probably had already?

Because having a natural infection with a virus, especially if it was a mild infection (as it would have to have been if you're not sure you had it) does not provoke anywhere near as robust an immune response as a vaccine does.

It's been shown in studies that a viral load of only some thousands of viral particles is enough to cause a CoViD-19 infection. So your immune system only has to produce enough antibodies for those few thousands of particles, to fight it off. The effect of a mild infection on the cellar immune response (B and T cells) would also be correspondingly less.

The vaccines on the other hand  expose your immune system to literally billions of particles that although innocuous in and of themselves, still cause your immune system to produce enough antibodies, T cells and B cells to destroy them all. (The Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, for instance, has 50 billion particles in just one dose).

This obviously provokes a much, much more robust and longer-lasting immune response than exposure to just a few thousand viral particles would.

That's why you should still get vaccinated, even if you're sure you had an infection - and it's even more highly recommended if you're not sure.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1