Many private hospitals ready to offer quick Covid-19 jabs - expect to pay 2,000 baht a dose

webfact

25 minutes ago, Naguu said:

It is true that China and Russia are totalitarian states. But ... Here we discuss the pandemic and how to deal with it. Asian states have prevented the pandemic from spreading much better than Western democracies. This is a fact that Western countries are reluctant to acknowledge. People still live in a world of imagination where all things are done right only in the West. It can also be seen in this vaccine debate. I am a strong supporter of demogratian, but the pandemic has shown the weaknesses of Western demogratian to prevent the spread of the pandemic. After all your own mistakes, it is pointless to blame China, for example. Countries could have closed borders a year ago and life would be normal as well as free.

I take your point. The post I was referring to I felt went a bit further than just saying we shouldn't blame China, or that China handled the pandemic well,  and said that it isn't fair for Australia to criticise China as totalitarian. The inference being that Australians had to deal with human rights abuses similar or worse than in China. I strongly disagree with that. 

I'll defend Australia's actions in the pandemic. People may argue the lockdowns were a bit harsh but, linked with targetted government support such as jobkeeper payments, it saved a lot of lives and kept many people and businesses going to the point that the Australian economy is doing well with few covid deaths. 

I'll take an imperfect democracy than a totalitarian regime even if it may at times be less efficient. 

I googled demogration but it's not a word - not trying to be smart just wasn't sure what you meant - probably democracies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yet the UK manufacturer is selling the vaccine at $5 a shot (OK $7.50 to South Africa).

Why can't the Thai hospitals buy it at the open market rate?

It is quite possible they will be. We only have the word of a source saying 17 to 40 Dollars. they can then cream more profit without looking greedy.

The purchase of the quality vaccines, shipping, storage, proper set up of facilities, appointments and staff to initiate the shots all come at a cost.

People unwilling to spend about 100 bucks on a potential life saving vaccine that may also save the life of friends, family loved ones and others they come into contact with.  

Seems cheap, shameful and selfish.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, bkk6060 said:

The purchase of the quality vaccines, shipping, storage, proper set up of facilities, appointments and staff to initiate the shots all come at a cost.

People unwilling to spend about 100 bucks on a potential life saving vaccine that may also save the life of friends, family loved ones and others they come into contact with.  

Seems cheap, shameful and selfish.

A government not wanting to protect their population at cost price also seems cheap, shameful and selfish to me.

But when it comes down to it, I'm not employed to protect everyone, but the government supposedly is.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

People may argue the lockdowns were a bit harsh but, linked with targetted government support such as jobkeeper payments, it saved a lot of lives and kept many people and businesses going to the point that the Australian economy is doing well with few covid deaths. 

Not discussing political blame-games.

But stating that Australian lockdowns were 'a bit harsh' must be the understatement of the year.

And then I am not even discussing the fact whether lock-downs are the appropriate response.

Imo they are based on the completely unproven assumption that they will keep the virus from spreading - a laughable statement if the consequences of that non-measure were not so devastating for society.  And don't get me started on the mask-nonsense...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yet the UK manufacturer is selling the vaccine at $5 a shot (OK $7.50 to South Africa).

I'm sure that they are, then you add profiteering Thai owners and this is what you get...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

That would be too sensible for Thailand. LOL!

19 hours ago, webfact said:
Many private hospitals ready to offer quick Covid-19 jabs - expect to pay 2,000 baht a dose

static.reuters.jpg
FILE PHOTO: Small bottles labeled with a "Vaccine COVID-19" sticker and a medical syringe are seen in this illustration taken taken April 10, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

Sources in the Thai business media have suggested that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will likely soon give approval for private hospitals to offer their own Covid-19 vaccinations.

The hospitals say there is huge demand - as much as 10 million doses - for people to pay rather than wait for the government to get its act together and jab people for free.

Hospitals are queuing up to offer the service - and of course make money in the process. 

Some of the biggest names are among those interested.

They will present documentation to the FDA whereby they will act as legal  importers of vaccine. 

Among the hospital groups believed to be onboard are the Thonburi Group, Ramkhamhaeng Hospital, Bangkok Hospital (BDMS) and Kasemrat Group. 

All manner of vaccine will be available including Pfizer, Moderna, Sinopharm, Sputnik and Johnson and Johnson, suggested the sources.

Hospitals want to offer a variety to give patients choices.

A source at Thonburi suggested that they would buy vaccine at a cost of $17 to $40 a dose.

When the cost of sending it and service charges are added they expected to offer the vaccine to patients at 2,000 baht per dose.

Having the recommended two doses would therefore cost 4,000 baht or a little under 100 UK pounds or about $US 133.

Well here's a question. I would happily pay to get the vaccine here in Thailand for me, my wife and any staff, especially if, as they are saying, Songkran is going ahead, one of the busiest times for Soi 7 Pattaya and hopefully a kickstart to reopening Soi 7. Now, also due to other circumstances, due to fly back to the UK  where they have offered a free jab. Question is is their any benefit in having two, separate Covid jab from different manufactures or pointless? Not sure there is much information on it...

19 hours ago, robblok said:

I have no problem paying for this, let them make some profit it gets you in front of the line. I dont think 4000 bt is too much for this.

I think many people would have no problem in paying for the shot, but when you consider the price of the ''Oxford'' Astra Zeneca vaccine is priced as around $5 USD, that's around 150 Baht, the hospital wants to charge 2000 Baht, that is a big RIP OFF!!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

static.reuters.jpg
FILE PHOTO: Small bottles labeled with a "Vaccine COVID-19" sticker and a medical syringe are seen in this illustration taken taken April 10, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/Illustration

Sources in the Thai business media have suggested that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will likely soon give approval for private hospitals to offer their own Covid-19 vaccinations.

The hospitals say there is huge demand - as much as 10 million doses - for people to pay rather than wait for the government to get its act together and jab people for free.

Hospitals are queuing up to offer the service - and of course make money in the process. 

Some of the biggest names are among those interested.

They will present documentation to the FDA whereby they will act as legal  importers of vaccine. 

Among the hospital groups believed to be onboard are the Thonburi Group, Ramkhamhaeng Hospital, Bangkok Hospital (BDMS) and Kasemrat Group. 

All manner of vaccine will be available including Pfizer, Moderna, Sinopharm, Sputnik and Johnson and Johnson, suggested the sources.

Hospitals want to offer a variety to give patients choices.

A source at Thonburi suggested that they would buy vaccine at a cost of $17 to $40 a dose.

When the cost of sending it and service charges are added they expected to offer the vaccine to patients at 2,000 baht per dose.

Having the recommended two doses would therefore cost 4,000 baht or a little under 100 UK pounds or about $US 133.

..so, everyone will opt for J&J.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

I think many people would have no problem in paying for the shot, but when you consider the price of the ''Oxford'' Astra Zeneca vaccine is priced as around $5 USD, that's around 150 Baht, the hospital wants to charge 2000 Baht, that is a big RIP OFF!!!

But receive with service with a smile (perhaps) under the mask

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

probably looking closer to 10,000 for the full treatment: -

2x doses

2x OPD visits

Paracetamol (imported)

Anti-inflammatory pills 

Antibiotic pills

Allergy pills

Anxiety and depression pills

All the medications except the vaccines of course you can buy OTC saving thousands of baht.

13 hours ago, Thorgal said:

Quote from link:

“In response to the Brazilian clinical trials, Sinovac Biotech has defended its vaccine. They said that the participants in its Phase III trial in Brazil – the largest one for the vaccine undertaken worldwide – were medical workers who tended to COVID-19 patients, arguing that they faced higher exposure to the highly infectious pathogen.

"The vaccine's ability to protect medical workers in active outbreaks could significantly improve if they are administered between 21 and 28 days," said the company in a statement.

Experts also agreed that the overall result is good enough considering almost all the trial participants in Brazil were high-risk front-liners, as reported in the Global Times.“

https://theaseanpost.com/article/chinas-sinovac-results-doubt

The Global Times is the Official mouthpiece of the Chinese Communist Party to spread CCP propaganda all over the world it is strongly suggested.  Do you believe anything in the Global Times ?  I dont.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Not discussing political blame-games.

But stating that Australian lockdowns were 'a bit harsh' must be the understatement of the year.

And then I am not even discussing the fact whether lock-downs are the appropriate response.

Imo they are based on the completely unproven assumption that they will keep the virus from spreading - a laughable statement if the consequences of that non-measure were not so devastating for society.  And don't get me started on the mask-nonsense...

Peter there is no logic in this post.

This disease spreads because of contact, lockdowns limit contact. Hence less spread. Its so easy i can't understand why people dont get it. Isolation is standard practice for those with a disease that is infectious. Lockdowns are a form of isolation when you dont know who is carrying so you lock down a larger area.

I know you have your ideas and say it has not be proven. That is because you can't prove certain things because the experiments to really prove it would be unethical. There have just been some psuedo studies of non comparable countries and groups that said lockdowns dont work. As someone with a brain you know that this is the lowest form of research and proof. Its like saying cars started to develop and people started to live longer. So its the cars. I mean correlation and causation are not the same. Same goes for that research you shown. You can't use it as the two groups are not identical and the situation is not identical so its a guess at best and goes against logic and what we know. These are things scientists know.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, robblok said:

I have no problem paying for this, let them make some profit it gets you in front of the line. I dont think 4000 bt is too much for this.

I will pay for the Jand J dose, one shot and was tested in South Africa during the developement of a variant

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I would pay to get the vaccine of my choice. I believe the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is only one shot? But I’d probably go for Pfizer as it’s been around longer and appears to be very effective with few if any side effects. 

I wouldn’t want the Chinese or Russian vaccines, I just trust western medicines more ... both appear to be safe and work well.

I would have a little concern with Pfizer considering the extremely low temperatures of minus 70 degrees c I understand it requires for storage and has been a logistic nightmare.  Not sure how Thai hospitals could manage it.. some others require standard refrigeration... I have had astra zennecca  no side effects and have the second in early May booked... Now looking for Thailand to agree return without ASQ...... Interestingly several European countries are buying the Russian and Chinese jabs as the are desperate

19 hours ago, AlexRich said:

I would pay to get the vaccine of my choice. I believe the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is only one shot? But I’d probably go for Pfizer as it’s been around longer and appears to be very effective with few if any side effects. 

I wouldn’t want the Chinese or Russian vaccines, I just trust western medicines more ... both appear to be safe and work well.

My 90 yo mother had the Pfizer vaccine in UK. My daughter (nurse) had Moderna vaccine in USA. Both OK with typical reported side effects.  Think I'd go for Pfizer or JnJ given the choice. I don't trust the testing and approval regimen of Chinese or Russian vaccine or who the vaccine was tested on.

Well the news that Private and  International Hospitals would supply the vaccine at a cost is not a surprise as most people were expecting this and are probably more than willing to pay

There is no way the Thai Government are going to let expats ect have it free so its a personal matter of choice 

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They have to pay that much or they will go to the back of the line. Astra Zeneca is not delivering the contracted amounts to the EU.. but for $40, I am sure Thailand could get some.

Surprised it took 3 months for bidding for vaccines to start

19 hours ago, Jingthing said:

They are buying on an open international market. Seems to me mistakes could be made unintentionally. As I already mentioned the special storage needed for Moderna and Pfizer add a risk element in any country arguably much more so in a country like Thailand. 

For the Pfizer jab looks like it can now be stored in more conventional freezers.

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-update-fda-allows-more-flexible-storage-transportation-conditions-pfizer

Apologies if this has already been posted, only on page 3...