Many private hospitals ready to offer quick Covid-19 jabs - expect to pay 2,000 baht a dose

webfact

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Well the news that Private and  International Hospitals would supply the vaccine at a cost is not a surprise as most people were expecting this and are probably more than willing to pay

There is no way the Thai Government are going to let expats ect have it free so its a personal matter of choice 

Expats have to pay at govt hospitals always so I'll just wait until it's available there.

I will only go private if in July when my 1 year extension is applied for and immigration rules that I have to be vaccinated.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, phetphet said:

I received a polling email from B'Grad over a week ago, asking if I would be interested in getting a COVID vaccination.

I wonder if they will also issue a certificate of vaccination as proof for any potential future travel.

Not if it's going to eat into their obscene profits they won't.

There are a few medical outlets that will give you 50% off if they can re use the needles and add water to the vaccine (as they do sometimes with vodka in bars). Hee hee

I say make China pay for the worlds vaccine distribution.

After SARs, Bird flu, and now this Covid, they need to be made responsible...

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The privates want to. They've no doubt been making plans and inquiries in those directions...

If and when the government will actually give them permission to do so, and for what particular vaccines, remains unknown for now.

The unelected "PM" and his soldiers will give them permission alright as long as the brown envelopes keep coming.

15 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Private hospitals are business's so yes it's about making money.

Nothing wrong with any businesses making money, that's what it is all about, but there is such a thing as fairness, and there is not much of that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MadMac said:

You never need to wait long to see the gr eed popping up in this country. Big money to make easily.

Nearly as short a wait for farang kee niaow to find something new to whine about.Private hospitals are businesses and they’re offering a service, they’re not charities for economic refugees. Do you expect them to purchase the vaccine and equipment as well as employ personnel to administer the vaccine as a gift for cheap Charlies? Then join the mile long queues just like people do in Europe and America.

Happy to pay for the convenience even if my insurance didn’t pay 80% ... which it does. But then insurance isn’t free either.

• Like 1

I wonder where and how these hospitals will be able to obtain the vaccines? The EU is in turmoil trying to obtain bulk consignments, they stopped a consignment being shipped to Australia earlier this week. Africa is in desparate need of vaccines -- but Thai hospital chains will be able to buy quantities and keep in stock 5 or 6 different 'varieties' to give customers a choice!

I assume that each vaccine will have a different price tag -- the Sinovac surely will be cheaper than the Pfizer.

Perhaps those clever Chinese could even provide the Sinovac in 'different packagings'? Cheap to print labels with Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, AZ, etc.  A good moneymaker!

There are some who are unscrupulous enough to see a lucrative opportunity here!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yet the UK manufacturer is selling the vaccine at $5 a shot (OK $7.50 to South Africa).

Why can't the Thai hospitals buy it at the open market rate?

How would you pay for the brown envelopes?

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yet the UK manufacturer is selling the vaccine at $5 a shot (OK $7.50 to South Africa).

Why can't the Thai hospitals buy it at the open market rate?

They forgot to mention the money that the government officials will be needing to collect from each dose for “allowing” this. 

• Like 1

I would take any vaccine available for the simple reason that, from a financial point of view, it would be preferable for my loved ones that I live another 8 years. So 4k, upwards, would be like paying some insurance premium.

This said, what is at stake here  is to get the whole population of our beautiful planet vaccinated as fast as possible.

Edited by Boomer6969

23 hours ago, robblok said:

I have no problem paying for this, let them make some profit it gets you in front of the line. I dont think 4000 bt is too much for this.

Not for the mRNA vaccines maybe.

But for the AZ vaccine it should be 700 baht per shot max.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:00 PM, MadMac said:

You never need to wait long to see the greed popping up in this country. Big money to make easily.

Doses of the vaccine will be scarce. If not allocated by prices, how would you prefer to allocate it?

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Nearly as short a wait for farang kee niaow to find something new to whine about.Private hospitals are businesses and they’re offering a service, they’re not charities for economic refugees. Do you expect them to purchase the vaccine and equipment as well as employ personnel to administer the vaccine as a gift for cheap Charlies? Then join the mile long queues just like people do in Europe and America.

Happy to pay for the convenience even if my insurance didn’t pay 80% ... which it does. But then insurance isn’t free either.

Agree totally.

Only been to two hospitals here (in 15yrs)

Govt one was like crowded 2star hotel in downtown,  poor English, slow etc.

Other was Paolo, and was like visiting the Hilton....smartly uniformed , efficient staff, 5 star surroundings,  good Polite English and prompt, world class treatment. 

(Doctor's qualification was from Edinburgh !)

So, 6 stitches, meds, betadine etc and followup visit, B6000.

Worth every satang 

So, B5~10,000 for the vaccine of my choice? A no brainer (and I'm 70)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, orchidfan said:

Agree totally.

Only been to two hospitals here (in 15yrs)

Govt one was like crowded 2star hotel in downtown,  poor English, slow etc.

Other was Paolo, and was like visiting the Hilton....smartly uniformed , efficient staff, 5 star surroundings,  good Polite English and prompt, world class treatment. 

(Doctor's qualification was from Edinburgh !)

So, 6 stitches, meds, betadine etc and followup visit, B6000.

Worth every satang 

So, B5~10,000 for the vaccine of my choice? A no brainer (and I'm 70)

Well said. I'm happy to pay. 

22 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Free to whom? Tax payers?

I think you've come close to something there that no one else on this whole thread has addressed.

Most countries (especially Western ones) will probably offer a free vac to all legal residents.

But, owing to Thailand's peculiar visa structure, maybe the "powers that be" might assume that everyone who started out on some sort of non-immigrant visa, may be considered to be merely a visitor, and thus not included. So from their perspective, there's no difference between a Retiree and a Tourist.  After all, you're both given finite dates by which to leave or extend, with conditions applied.

I'm not saying this is right, so don't shoot the messenger, but it might be how it ends up.

Of course, no Westerner living in or visiting Thailand should have an expectation of free health care anyway - should they?

Edited by VBF