Many private hospitals ready to offer quick Covid-19 jabs - expect to pay 2,000 baht a dose

webfact

Just now, KhaoYai said:

What's wrong with that is that ability to pay determines your elgibility to good health - that can never be right.

And how is that different from health care availability now? Answer. Not at all.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, VBF said:

Of course, no Westerner living in or visiting Thailand should have an expectation of free health care anyway - should they?

Indeed not.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

You think i'm the only one with that answer...........what planet are you on?

No I don't think that at all - I'm gobsmacked at the amount of people that feel that way but I think I can guess which country many come from.

It does not surprise me however, that more humans are selfish than are altrusitic - that doesn't make the majority right.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Haha 1

Just now, KhaoYai said:

No I don't think that at all - I'm gobsmacked at the amount of people that feel that way but I think I can guess which country many come from.

You need to get out more if you're gobsmacked about something like that.

I reckon about 90%++ people would give the same answer as i did.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Thailand is NOT charging any money for the jabs. You just have to wait your turn. Just like back home.

So why has the Public Health Ministry suggested private companies be allowed to import another 15-20 million doses, which is the shortfall on the vaccines needed.

Edited by Bkk Brian

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I reckon about 90%++ people would give the same answer as i did.

I don't know where you're from but there's a video - probably available on youtube that illustrates exactly what's wrong with your kind of thinking - and as it happens, how selfishness can backfire.

The video is from the start of the UK lockdown last year.  It shows a nurse in tears, she arrives at a supermarket after finishing a very long shift treating Covid patients and finds that selfish panic buyers have emptied the shelves. Think about that.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

I don't know where you're from but there's a video - probably available on youtube that illustrates exactly what's wrong with your kind of thinking - and as it happens, how selfishness can backfire.

The video is from the start of the UK lockdown last year.  It shows a nurse in tears, she arrives at a supermarket after finishing a very long shift treating Covid patients and finds that selfish panic buyers have emptied the shelves. Think about that.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

If you always want to put people before yourself there's a good chance you'll be walked all over quite a few times throughout your life.

If paying for something to jump the line is an option, i'm in like Flynn.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

What's wrong with that is that ability to pay determines your elgibility to good health - that can never be right.

But it's the current reality. You should know that.  I'm not saying it's good. Just the current reality globally.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

So why has the Public Health Ministry suggested private companies be allowed to import another 15-20 million doses, which is the shortfall on the vaccines needed.

I'm guessing because they didn't pay the big money western countries did to get first crack at the jabs.  And Thailand is far from the only one like this.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:22 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The way I look at it, you can wait until who knows when to get the (probably) Chinese vaccine via the TH government program....

Or, you can get the vaccine of your preference in the pretty immediate future by paying a bit of money... The way things are looking, I'll take the get sooner, have my own choice, pay option.

yeah and make sure you save a bed when you get covid-19 after the vaccines. You will be getting the Chinese vaccines which is under 60% efficient.- the Chinese point of view. who care about few million people.

Astra Zeneca is being down grade in Europe. People in Italy and Germany does have confidence in the vaccine, The US has not approved it. 

It is OK for 3rd world countries 

money loaded like you can afford spending the money. expect to paying more than the Bht 4k.. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, the green light said:

yeah and make sure you save a bed when you get covid-19 after the vaccines. You will be getting the Chinese vaccines which is under 60% efficient.- the Chinese point of view. who care about few million people.

Astra Zeneca is being down grade in Europe. People in Italy and Germany does have confidence in the vaccine, The US has not approved it. 

It is OK for 3rd world countries 

money loaded like you can afford spending the money. expect to paying more than the Bht 4k.. 

China's transparency with regards to the jab is lacking. With that being said. Unless you do a side by side test, at exactly the same time, with a similar population, it's impossible to compare the jabs. Impossible.

Thailand will be manufacturing the AZ jab. And with private hospitals offering alternatives, it's quite nice being here. 4k is peanuts.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Thanks.

You think i'm the only one with that answer...........what planet are you on?

You're not - it may not be the politically-correct answer but it's the realistic one!

What was it Orwell wrote...."All men are created equal, but some are more equal than others"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, jonnit said:

Moderna, which I've had 2 jabs already, is easier to store and transport than Pfizer. 

Moderna Announced Longer Shelf Life for its COVID-19 Vaccine at Refrigerated Temperatures. Vaccine candidate now expected to remain stable at standard refrigerator temperatures of 2° to 8°C (36° to 46°F) for 30 days, up from previous estimate of 7 days
November 16, 2020 at 6:52 AM EST

Yeah I see that now.

Between Moderna and JJ,  I'm really not sure.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:00 PM, MadMac said:

You never need to wait long to see the greed popping up in this country. Big money to make easily.

Aka , known as Thai Culture .

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah I see that now.

Between Moderna and JJ,  I'm really not sure.

Apples and pears. The JJ is a workhorse that could end the pandemic in USA within weeks or months.  It's good.

If given a choice, I think everyone would want the Moderna vaccine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the green light said:

yeah and make sure you save a bed when you get covid-19 after the vaccines. You will be getting the Chinese vaccines which is under 60% efficient.-

I think you totally missed the/my point...

One big reason for choosing the private hospital/pay yourself option (if it ever becomes available with the government's blessing) is to be able to choose the approved vaccine of your choice, presumably one of the several well-rated, western-developed and tested ones.

Why in the world would anyone go to a private hospital and pay money for the Chinese Sinovac vaccine, when it's likely going to be available to them thru the government's free vaccine program at some point, either Sinovac or the AstraZenica one....

(One reason might be simply wanting to jump to the front of the vaccine line vs. farangs being at the tail end of the line under the government's program. But if a farang type is gonna pay for a vaccine at a private hospital, odds are, they're not going to be choosing the Sinovac one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

For me, generally speaking, I don't want to risk contracting a serious illness requiring heavy duty medical care in Thailand, if I can possibly avoid it, which would include spending a bit of money on an effective western vaccine -- the price of which pales in comparison to a Thai hospital stay, especially a serious illness one.

Good point. See it as a form of insurance, if you catch covid, even an asymptomatic case in Thailand means a 2 week at least stay in hospital. Better to pay the 3/4k fee for a good vaccine and have less to worry about.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 3:21 PM, BritManToo said:

Yet the UK manufacturer is selling the vaccine at $5 a shot (OK $7.50 to South Africa).

Why can't the Thai hospitals buy it at the open market rate?

Israel paid US$10-23 for Pfizer vaccine.

• Like 1