Sophon a pain ita are Tmn any better?

keithsimmonds

Sophon are becoming more and more unreliable.imho. Cutting channels and sighting rain sometimes as an excuse for not broadcasting on there sports channels,picture freezing on Thai Channels and even PPTV36 comes up with a blue screen saying insert card? Today i was about to watch the Liverpool v Chelsea game (a replay at 9.30am on Astro Sport 3HD) and a  message came up saying ..."you have not prescribe to this package"  Ring Sophon and then talk to a brick wall. Nearly every weekend is the same...get the build-up to a premier league game then when its about to start or even has started....broadcast turns into Downhill Skiing on all 5 of there sports stations......Nice.

My question is simple ......are TMN any better?

15 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Sophon are becoming more and more unreliable.imho. Cutting channels and sighting rain sometimes as an excuse for not broadcasting on there sports channels,picture freezing on Thai Channels and even PPTV36 comes up with a blue screen saying insert card? Today i was about to watch the Liverpool v Chelsea game (a replay at 9.30am on Astro Sport 3HD) and a  message came up saying ..."you have not prescribe to this package"  Ring Sophon and then talk to a brick wall. Nearly every weekend is the same...get the build-up to a premier league game then when its about to start or even has started....broadcast turns into Downhill Skiing on all 5 of there sports stations......Nice.

My question is simple ......are TMN any better?

I tend to agree that Sophon have been a bit unreliable of late and more recently. I lost all the channels last week for over 24 hours. They also seem to retune their channels too often which requires a fair effort for me to set back everything to as it was. 

I am a bit perplexed by the request for  a card or update of package you get... I can only imagine that actually comes from wherever they are getting the signal from, perhaps not legitimately. I have no box and my TV simply tunes in all the digital channels. I even have a splitter in the roof space to supply to a bedroom TV.

I also have their invoice (3000 baht for the year) sitting on my table wondering whether to renew. I have been with them a long time and believe they supply many more English language channels than the competition. 

7 hours ago, Ninafarm said:

TMN is terrible, most channels are so snowy they are unwatchable,, including Golf Channel and BBC news, but most Thai channels are nice and clear.

Try cleaning the screen...TMN picture fine here just off 3rd road :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have BTV and have had many issues this year and I think Covid is to blame. They, and others, will have lost a lot of customers and their revenue has suffered greatly. I pay 250 a month, and have not had a price increase in 4+ years, so don't expect a top notch service. They are doing their best with what they have.

Sophon provide a great service for the price. I only really watch the news channels myself, Sky, Al Jazeera and CNA, but the GF, of course, wants the Thai TV and music channels, as well as the Pattaya channel which I keep on forgetting is there. Quite a few channels are HD quality now, which with 4k upscaling makes for a perfect picture. I'm impressed.

A few years ago, I noticed that the picture on the TV in my bedroom was getting really poor, while the same channel on the living room TV was perfect, so I assumed the cable feed to the bedroom had a fault. Sophon technicians came, free-of-charge, to check it out but couldn't find anything wrong with the cable. They blamed the TV, which I thought was typical of a lazy Thai technician, but I was wrong and they were right. About 3 months later, the TV suddenly started switching itself on and off all the time. As it was almost 10 years old, the GF took it to a cheap TV repair guy in Laem Chabang, rather than the Samsung service centre, and he replaced a whole circuit board, as well as putting in new speakers as the old ones were shot (not necessary, really, as it's connected to a home cinema system when it's here). Cost was 3,000 Baht and when the TV came back to my bedroom the picture was perfect, the Sophon guys had been spot on, it was the TV that was causing the poor picture quality.

The OP should note this tale, it can be a hardware fault at your end as easily as the cable company's fault, so try taking your TV to someone else's place if you can and see if it's better or just the same there.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Cost was 3,000 Baht and when the TV came back to my bedroom the picture was perfect, the Sophon guys had been spot on, it was the TV that was causing the poor picture quality.

You could have simply swapped the TVs round temporarily to nail down the problem!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Guderian said:

Sophon provide a great service for the price. I only really watch the news channels myself, Sky, Al Jazeera and CNA, but the GF, of course, wants the Thai TV and music channels, as well as the Pattaya channel which I keep on forgetting is there. Quite a few channels are HD quality now, which with 4k upscaling makes for a perfect picture. I'm impressed.

A few years ago, I noticed that the picture on the TV in my bedroom was getting really poor, while the same channel on the living room TV was perfect, so I assumed the cable feed to the bedroom had a fault. Sophon technicians came, free-of-charge, to check it out but couldn't find anything wrong with the cable. They blamed the TV, which I thought was typical of a lazy Thai technician, but I was wrong and they were right. About 3 months later, the TV suddenly started switching itself on and off all the time. As it was almost 10 years old, the GF took it to a cheap TV repair guy in Laem Chabang, rather than the Samsung service centre, and he replaced a whole circuit board, as well as putting in new speakers as the old ones were shot (not necessary, really, as it's connected to a home cinema system when it's here). Cost was 3,000 Baht and when the TV came back to my bedroom the picture was perfect, the Sophon guys had been spot on, it was the TV that was causing the poor picture quality.

The OP should note this tale, it can be a hardware fault at your end as easily as the cable company's fault, so try taking your TV to someone else's place if you can and see if it's better or just the same there.

Yeah i know...sometimes better the devil you know..frying pan fire and all that... But when your sitting there about to watch a film that is just starting and then suddenly "They Sophon" start searching for another channel or film and completely take over your TV...well those 3 words just ring out "Four  <deleted>** Sa**"

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You could have simply swapped the TVs round temporarily to nail down the problem!

Yeah, in hindsight that's what I should have done, but at the time I was in denial (not the river in Egypt, lol) about my old Samsung TV developing a serious fault and was certain that it was Sophon''s cables causing the problem. I'm older and wiser now, and more sceptical of Samsung TV"s, at least I hope so.

1 minute ago, Guderian said:

Yeah, in hindsight that's what I should have done, but at the time I was in denial

Well I had to do it recently myself... swapped the TVs, made a point, and suggested the guy fixed the satellite problem now! ????

I've been with TMN for a few years, have their cable tv & internet, never had too much of a problem, I have 2 smart TV 's most of the channels are digital broadcasts, but if you are using an old analogue telly expect problems, on DTV I have hundreds of channels.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The movie ends and you see the guys computer desktop, watch while he moves the mouse around and selects another movie.

Similar on Sophon, sometimes you get to see him fast forwarding through things you would like to see, and often the Thai soundtrack is selected on an English channel. I still wonder if the competition supports English as well as Sophon.... In the old days people were swapping around based on who had got their hands on Premiership football. 

On 3/6/2021 at 8:32 AM, Ninafarm said:

TMN is terrible, most channels are so snowy they are unwatchable,, including Golf Channel and BBC news, but most Thai channels are nice and clear.

"snowy" ... lol. by now everyone should be able to watch the digital channels?

did you try that? there is no snow on the digital channels, and the golf channel is even shown in almost high resolution, much prettier than the analog channel.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

None of the Fox Sport channels are working today or Setanta......"we know" is the extremely useful and helpful response from Sophon...shower of you know what.

rain.....????

I'm not a big T.V. watcher we have I guess the basic package with Sophon I noticed the last few days although I've scanned my T.V. a number of times the few channels I do watch like FoxLife, FX, shows GoodDoctor, Voice, American shows is gone basically a bland screen.

I click the remote and ran through all the channels available the ones I watch  have just a blank screen with  " E16 is currently " ?

Thanks

Edited by thailand49

On 4/5/2021 at 8:35 AM, thailand49 said:

I'm not a big T.V. watcher we have I guess the basic package with Sophon I noticed the last few days although I've scanned my T.V. a number of times the few channels I do watch like FoxLife, FX, shows GoodDoctor, Voice, American shows is gone basically a bland screen.

I click the remote and ran through all the channels available the ones I watch  have just a blank screen with  " E16 is currently " ?

Thanks

Have you phoned Sophon?

I have just got back from Chaiyaphum and i see that 8 channels in total are not working from last Friday ....and will be phoning them 1st thing tomorrow for (1) a refund or (2)new channels instead? (3 )cancellation and refund....simples.

If everyone else did likewise then maybe just maybe we might get the service we paid for.....but i doubt it.

11 hours ago, keithsimmonds said:

Have you phoned Sophon?

I have just got back from Chaiyaphum and i see that 8 channels in total are not working from last Friday ....and will be phoning them 1st thing tomorrow for (1) a refund or (2)new channels instead? (3 )cancellation and refund....simples.

If everyone else did likewise then maybe just maybe we might get the service we paid for.....but i doubt it.

Funny to make sure I wasn't dreaming or making stuff up. I went in my son room and ran through his channels many as you noted were missing but the one channel I wanted was FoxLife, and it was there.

Then I took another T.V. panaonic ran through the channels and like my Samsung they were missing I scanned the channels and surprise I got so many more channels I mean a lot more from 1-225, funny my Samsung no matter how much I scanned I got around 60, there is also a difference in the channel numbers although the programs are the same. Like Fox news on my Samsung it is 27, the Panasonic it is 133, on the Panasonic I lost Bloomberg.

So I went down to the office and explained the problem the best I got was "  they do have a problem give us a few days "  I remember a few years back something like this similar and someone on the board pointed out something to do with contract?

Thanks for responding!

On 4/2/2021 at 11:18 AM, keithsimmonds said:

None of the Fox Sport channels are working today or Setanta......"we know" is the extremely useful and helpful response from Sophon...shower of you know what.

Typical lost the sport at the weekend so missed the MotoGP. They are still out, have they gone for good?

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

Typical lost the sport at the weekend so missed the MotoGP. They are still out, have they gone for good?

I could say what do you expect for 300 baht a month.....

They Sophon have no bloody clue as to if and when those Fox Channels may or may not come back.....straight from the horses mouth.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2021 at 2:53 AM, keithsimmonds said:

I could say what do you expect for 300 baht a month.....

They Sophon have no bloody clue as to if and when those Fox Channels may or may not come back.....straight from the horses mouth.

Sadly you are right!  I'm still waiting!

Going to cancel on Tuesday....they are a shower of <deleted>. Went to the TMN office on Friday they are having the same problems with Fox but there Fox channels did at least have a picture,so was watchable. 3 month 1000baht...why not.!!

• 1 month later...

Sophon has got to be the worse,  lost all the Fox channels including my favorite Fox life a month ago got it back scanned the channels and even got more but daily and I mean daily problems right now as I type usually watching tonight The Good Doctor but for hours every channel gone " no signal "  Fox news entertaining but for last month every minute the signal gone or lock screen.  What a way to run a business? 

Time to do some research to move on!  Bye!????