Yellow Book Requirements by Pattaya City Hall

Banana7

Went to Pattaya City Hall attempting to obtain a yellow house book for a condo. Attached is a list requirements from Pattaya City Hall to obtain a yellow house book. The blue house books are only for Thais, the yellow book is for only  foreigners. When you buy a condo, you only get the blue.

Why does Pattaya City Hall require items 4 and 6 on the list to issue a yellow house book?

Other municipalities/cities/regions in Thailand don't require item 4 or 6.

PattayaYellowBook.jpg

If I look at all the requirements I cannot get rid of the feeling that for whatever reason they are not happy if you want a yellow book. You can get a visa, open bank accounts, get a Tax ID, get a driving licence, buy a condo, pay taxes for your property and income. But to get a yellow book seems to be one of the hardest challenges. I have been here almost 30 years. Never had the motivation to fulfil all the many requirements. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I have been here almost 30 years. Never had the motivation to fulfil all the many requirements. 

Yes, I wonder why some pursue something they have not yet needed and is difficult to procure.....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I hope I do not ever need to go groveling to any of those types in a swanky office,

Yes, I think in your case, you'd have no choice but to grovel. ???? Crawl in your knees, man. Even so, it might be futile. Perhaps, as our many TVF Macho Men would recommend from the safety of their keyboards, walk into the Mayor's office in your Speedo as if you own the place, curl your lip into a sneer, thrust your papers in front of the Mayor, and demand he sign immediately 'cause your time's so valuable. We see that going on all the time at the Immigration office, now don't we. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yes, I think in your case, you'd have no choice but to grovel. ???? Even so, it might be futile. Perhaps, as our TVF Macho Men would recommend from the safety of their keyboards, walk into the Mayor's office in your Speedo as if you own the place, curl your lip into a sneer, thrust your papers in front of the Mayor, and demand he sign immediately 'cause your time's so valuable. We see that going on all the time at the Immigration office, now don't we. 

What on are you talking of... I have no need of a yellow book that I am aware of and hence no need to share your position under the desk. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

In my case, mere politeness sufficed. Under the desk might work for you, as you've anticipated, but I also gave you a recommended alternative.  And as noted earlier,

Sorry, your quotes are coming up blank.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, I wonder why some pursue something they have not yet needed and is difficult to procure.....

I didn't  find it  difficult to procure, in Bangkok or  Prachuap Khirikhan once in 2007 and again in 2013 altho0ugh they didn't  know what to do down South, Wife showed them. Use it when renewing driving licence.

20210306_135153.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

I didn't  find it  difficult to procure, in Bangkok or  Prachuap Khirikhan once in 2007 and again in 2013 altho0ugh they didn't  know what to do down South, Wife showed them. Use it when renewing driving licence.

20210306_135153.jpg

You are right. In every other city in Thailand, it's easier to obtain than it is in Pattaya. Pattaya city hall process for obtaining a yellow book is the most onerous and difficult in all of Thailand.

Not only Pattaya where the Yellow Tabien Baan house book requires a little let work and hoop jumping to obtain....  In my area of Bangkok too.

It was a minor task....

1) Book and wait for an appointment (about 6 weeks wait)

2) Obtain Notarised Copy of Passport (from Embassy)

3) Obtain Translation of Copy of Passport (Translation service at MFA)

4) Obtain MFA Verification of Copy of Passport 

5) Wife + Blue Book & ID go to Amphur Office

6) Witness go to Amphur office (at same time)

7) Sit and wait for 2 hrs while Amphur Officer does all the paper work

8.) Yellow Tabien Baan house book issued

9) Get a Pink ID card (an additional 20mins)

Why go through all that ? (it wasn’t really that much of a hassle).

Ease of carrying around a government issued ID rather than passport

Can use at the Bank (rather than getting passport out of the safe) 

Can use in any location when ID is asked for (*i.e. a bar - not all accept and want a passport)

Can use at a Hospital in lieu of a Passport

Can use at a hotel check in (I usually have my passport then anyway)

I have used for renewal of DL and Motorcycle Licence instead of having to go to Embassy and obtain an Affirmation of Residence 

Used it to Open another Bank account

Yellow Book and Pink ID... Not a need to have, but a nice to have and I can see things heading in the direction that any long term foreigner living here on a Non-Immigrant Visa needs to be registered this way (thats not to say it will, but I can see things heading that way). 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I hope I do not ever need to go groveling to any of those types in a swanky office,

While the rest of us simply meet the paperwork requirements and have standard interaction with Thai Civil Servants at an Amphur office jacko45k seems to think he is would be held in such low regard he owl need to grovel...  

Or, is it that jacko45k sees any bureaucratic process where a little effort is required is considered grovelling.. 

..... either way, rather a strange projection of what he thinks is required... :whistling:

-------

Just for the record jacko45k... no grovelling required... Just a minor tolerance for bureaucratic process and not to act like a superior tool when interacting with those around you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not only Pattaya where the Yellow Tabien Baan house book requires a little let work and hoop jumping to obtain....  In my area of Bangkok too.

It was a minor task....

1) Book and wait for an appointment (about 6 weeks wait)

2) Obtain Notarised Copy of Passport (from Embassy)

3) Obtain Translation of Copy of Passport (Translation service at MFA)

4) Obtain MFA Verification of Copy of Passport 

5) Wife + Blue Book & ID go to Amphur Office

6) Witness go to Amphur office (at same time)

7) Sit and wait for 2 hrs while Amphur Officer does all the paper work

8.) Yellow Tabien Baan house book issued

9) Get a Pink ID card (an additional 20mins)

Why go through all that ? (it wasn’t really that much of a hassle).

Ease of carrying around a government issued ID rather than passport

Can use at the Bank (rather than getting passport out of the safe) 

Can use in any location when ID is asked for (*i.e. a bar - not all accept and want a passport)

Can use at a Hospital in lieu of a Passport

Can use at a hotel check in (I usually have my passport then anyway)

I have used for renewal of DL and Motorcycle Licence instead of having to go to Embassy and obtain an Affirmation of Residence 

Used it to Open another Bank account

Yellow Book and Pink ID... Not a need to have, but a nice to have and I can see things heading in the direction that any long term foreigner living here on a Non-Immigrant Visa needs to be registered this way (thats not to say it will, but I can see things heading that way). 

I wish it was that easy in Pattaya. Pattaya needs 2 Thai witnesses with house papers and they want a translated document certified by foreign affairs, stating your names, parent's names and date of birth, see item 4 and 6 in the attachment. 

I am not married so is the process more complicated in your Amphur?

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

While the rest of us simply meet the paperwork requirements and have standard interaction with Thai Civil Servants at an Amphur office jacko45k seems to think he is would be held in such low regard he owl need to grovel...  

Or, is it that jacko45k sees any bureaucratic process where a little effort is required is considered grovelling.. 

..... either way, rather a strange projection of what he thinks is required... :whistling:

-------

Just for the record jacko45k... no grovelling required... Just a minor tolerance for bureaucratic process and not to act like a superior tool when interacting with those around you.

To whom are you talking here... anybody who would listen? 

It is a paperwork requirement for something I have no requirement of.... 

Just for the record ... I am familiar with Thai  bureaucratic process and often, (not always), one is messed around from pillar to post and treated with poor consideration. Then sometimes they surprise you by being helpful. Only a fool would go though any of it unnecessarily. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2021 at 3:44 PM, Banana7 said:

I wish it was that easy in Pattaya. Pattaya needs 2 Thai witnesses with house papers and they want a translated document certified by foreign affairs, stating your names, parent's names and date of birth, see item 4 and 6 in the attachment. 

I am not married so is the process more complicated in your Amphur?

Pattaya City Hall wants everything in the original first post of this thread and copies of;

1. if you are the owner of the condo, the Chanote and

2. the blue house book for the condo and

3. the transfer contract/document issued by the Land Office when the condo was purchased.

Of course nobody in City Hall will tell you about the above 3 requirements until you arrive with the 6 requirements in the first post.  Also all documents presented, must be signed by the applicant. Be sure your name on the Chanote and the legalized MFA translation of your passport name is exactly the same.

On the initial visit, the documents are examined by 3 different officers, before being accepted. First by the information desk (2 thick bars, 1 thin bar on her shoulders), then by the 3 full stripe corner office officer, then another officer at a processing window on the third floor at City Hall. All the documents must be consist, your name and other details must be exactly the same in every document.

The 2 Thai witnesses must have copies of their ID cards and house books, signing all pages. The witnesses are questioned in depth. One of the questioning officers even asked the girlfriend, has she had any babies with me, were we married, how did you meet, where did we meet, what is the date you met, how long have you known him, do you live in his condo, are you working, where did you work, how long did you work at your last job, how do you know the other witness, how long have known the other witness, etc. etc. etc..

One person said the entire process to obtain a yellow book takes several weeks at Pattaya City Hall. After the documents are taken in, there will a minimum of 2 additional visits. Next visit will be with the"big guy" which  must be attended by the 2 Thai witnesses. City Hall will phone to arrange the second appointment, undetermined time frame and meeting agenda. When and if the "big guy" approves, the yellow book will be issued at the third appointment.

All I can say is there may be an opportunity to improve, streamline and improve efficiency and reduce the timeline.

Does anyone know why Thai witnesses are required?

Comments?

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, johng said:

????  Why do you think they wont want property taxes after getting a yellow book ?

They may want it but he shouldn't have to pay as it supposedly proves he is living there and as long as value less than the threshold whatever it is and his only property.......

On 4/19/2021 at 5:24 PM, johng said:

????  Why do you think they wont want property taxes after getting a yellow book ?

Just because you have yellow book doesn't mean you'll get an exemption. You also have to register it in the property tax department. The lady at the property tax office, as she recorded the details of the yellow book into her computer, said no more property taxes for you.

The yellow book helps convince the property tax department that the condo it is my residential house (first). The residential house, without property, valued at 10,000,000 baht or less is exempt. For those with a house and land used for residential purposes, the value has to be less than 50,000,000 baht. According to Thai law, a foreigner can't own property in Thailand.

Most foreigners who live in a house with land, created a company, and made themselves as the managing director.  These guys will be paying the commercial property tax rates, higher than residential. 

If your condo is valued at over 10,000,000, you'll be taxed.

In the attachment below, are more details.

ThailandPropertyTax.jpg

Edited by Banana7

10 hours ago, mogandave said:

Can you not use the yellow book in place of a certificate of residence to renew your driver license and whatnot?

Apparently yes... although sometimes (rarely) a member of staff there is unaware of this and may refuse. Unless one can get around that person the alternative is a long drive and a lot of time wasted. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Apparently yes... although sometimes (rarely) a member of staff there is unaware of this and may refuse. Unless one can get around that person the alternative is a long drive and a lot of time wasted. 

My last renewal (about six months ago) I used my yellow-book & pink ID and did not have show my passport or visa, nor did I need a certificate of residence.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/19/2021 at 5:09 PM, Banana7 said:

Finally obtained the yellow book, took 12 business days. Also registered it in the property tax department, so no more property taxes next year.

what was the total cost of going to the trouble of getting the yellow book?

I asked an agent if they could get and they said cannot, too difficult, don't do!!!

I want one to avoid the stupid condo tax but the ridiculous requirements just aren't worth it

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

what was the total cost of going to the trouble of getting the yellow book?

I asked an agent if they could get and they said cannot, too difficult, don't do!!!

I want one to avoid the stupid condo tax but the ridiculous requirements just aren't worth it

The total cost depends on which original documents you have available and also where you live. I didn't have a copy of my long form birth certificate that states my parent's name etc., so I incurred more costs. Next, the ministry of foreign affairs office is in Nonthaburi (almost Bangkok), so travel costs will vary. It is near a MRT station so once in Bangkok, travel costs can be reasonable.

I estimate my total cost was about 3,500 baht, excluding travel and embassy fees. Translations were 400B per page, 60b extra for mailing the MOFA documents to me. Immigration letter, 300 baht. MOFA fee, I don't remember but it wasn't much, maybe 500b.

You're right, the requirements are ridiculous and most people won't even try to get the yellow book or they give-up part way through the process. I was able to finish all business in Bangkok in one day, so costs were reasonable. I'm retired and visit Bangkok every month, so I had lots of spare time, nothing better to do with my time than learning the process and saving some money in the future. 

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1