Yellow and Blue House Book for a Condo

When buying a condo in Thailand, normally one gets the blue house book, a book that states who is living at that address. My understanding is that only Thai names can be entered into the blue book. A yellow house book is used for entering foreigner names.  Why are new condos sold to foreigners without a yellow and a blue book? Why do there have to be 2 different books?

It should be a legal requirement to provide both books to a foreigner purchasing a condo in Thailand.

14 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Why are new condos sold to foreigners without a yellow and a blue book? Why do there have to be 2 different books?

Because once upon a time somebody in the Thai government decided that this is how they handle it.

14 hours ago, Banana7 said:

It should be a legal requirement to provide both books to a foreigner purchasing a condo in Thailand.

A yellow book is only issued once a foreigner gets registered there, so a developer can't really have a yellow book at the point of purchase.

7 hours ago, jackdd said:

Because once upon a time somebody in the Thai government decided that this is how they handle it.

A yellow book is only issued once a foreigner gets registered there, so a developer can't really have a yellow book at the point of purchase.

So why can the developer have a blue book at the point of purchase? A Thai may never get registered there.

Just now, Banana7 said:

So why can the developer have a blue book at the point of purchase? A Thai may never get registered there.

Because a blue book is always issued (I assume when the Chanote is issued or so), even if nobody is registered as living there.

9 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Do you have a Yellow Book? Do you want one? Contact your district office it can be easy or difficult depending on their attitude. The problem is farangs disappearing or selling the property without following through by returning the Yellow Book,  which causes them to have dead files or some kind of issue. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

Do you have a Yellow Book? Do you want one? Contact your district office it can be easy or difficult depending on their attitude. The problem is farangs disappearing or selling the property without following through by returning the Yellow Book,  which causes them to have dead files or some kind of issue. 

It's very difficult to get a yellow book from Pattaya City Hall. See attachment for requirements. I know of no other district office that requires Item 4 and 6.

PattayaYellowBook.jpg

• Thanks 1

You can get it in muang Chiang Mai. They certainly require 4.) and two Thai witnesses. I heard in other districts like Hang Dong 15 minutes away it is almost impossible. Then if you have it if you go to the drivers license place or others they can demand a certificate of residence anyway. MFA translation is quite a hoop to jump. They let you in the country without a passport translation! Next they will say your witnesses have to be current Thai government employees.

Edited by Captain Monday

I have owned some condos in Bangkok for many years and never had a blue book. Just before covid I took the  chanotes  to the district offices  and was issued with the blue book without difficulty. I was  amazed .. I was also asked if I needed a yellow book to which I said no as I already had one for the house I lived in in another area.. you only have  your name in one yellow book at a time.  Getting a yellow book in my district in Chiang Mai was interesting as I had to make friends with the local head man .. was worth it !

On 3/6/2021 at 3:37 PM, Banana7 said:

It's very difficult to get a yellow book from Pattaya City Hall. See attachment for requirements. I know of no other district office that requires Item 4 and 6.

I think these are the standard requirements which every office will ask for, nothing special.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:21 PM, Banana7 said:

When buying a condo in Thailand, normally one gets the blue house book, a book that states who is living at that address. My understanding is that only Thai names can be entered into the blue book. A yellow house book is used for entering foreigner names.  Why are new condos sold to foreigners without a yellow and a blue book? Why do there have to be 2 different books?

I never bought a new condo from a developer, but I doubt they provide a blue book which has nothing to do with ownership. The chanot is issued by the land department whereas the blue book by the district office. 

The blue book is just a registration of address, every Thai person MUST be registered in one from the day of birth, but no such requirement for non Thai (except for PR's).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2021 at 5:21 PM, Banana7 said:

When buying a condo in Thailand, normally one gets the blue house book,

Even if you buy a used condo from a private Thai person,  not from a developer?

Would  the seller give you the blue book??

Or should you request a new one at the Amphur?

On 3/8/2021 at 6:53 AM, LukKrueng said:

I never bought a new condo from a developer, but I doubt they provide a blue book which has nothing to do with ownership. The chanot is issued by the land department whereas the blue book by the district office. 

The blue book is just a registration of address, every Thai person MUST be registered in one from the day of birth, but no such requirement for non Thai (except for PR's).

I have, and they did provide one. Every house needs one if they want to get connected to electricity I think.

On 3/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, Kiujunn said:

Even if you buy a used condo from a private Thai person,  not from a developer?

Would  the seller give you the blue book??

Or should you request a new one at the Amphur?

The seller should give you the book, it belongs to the house.

• 8 months later...

A few years ago I  got a  brand  new blue book for my  old condo  ,  from the main council office at  North  Pattaya  Rd in about 5 minutes and at a cost of 50 baht .

I have now bought  another old condo  but this time  the  Pattaya  council  office now  wants me to get a yellow book  instead  , which is more complicated and expensive .

Can someone tell me if things have now changed and the blue book  has been replaced  by the yellow book

for expats ?

On 12/12/2021 at 2:08 PM, Jack100 said:

A few years ago I  got a  brand  new blue book for my  old condo  ,  from the main council office at  North  Pattaya  Rd in about 5 minutes and at a cost of 50 baht .

I have now bought  another old condo  but this time  the  Pattaya  council  office now  wants me to get a yellow book  instead  , which is more complicated and expensive .

Can someone tell me if things have now changed and the blue book  has been replaced  by the yellow book

for expats ?

Assuming that you are using some kind of visa/extension and aren't a permanent resident:

I guess for the old condo you had a blue book, but you weren't registered as resident in it.

For your new condo you should also be able to get a blue book, even though you can't be registered in it. Actually you should have gotten the blue book from the seller.

If you want to be registered as resident at your condo, this would be done in a yellow book.

• Like 2

Thanks Jack dd  I should have mentioned that I do have a retirement visa . 
I also got the old blue book from the expat seller but have been told by others and also at Pattaya City Office , North Road that I would need to get a yellow book. I would prefer to avoid this if possible.