Dr Seuss rockets up US charts after books pulled over racist portrayals

19 minutes ago, DrDave said:

Unfortunately, some misguided, self-anointed "social re-engineers" will not permit these books to stand the test of time.

Everything has it's place and time.

I wouldn't advocate removing the books currently being discontinued, but it is good that the issues contained within them are being discussed.

Thankfully rationally by most people, who do not need hyperbole to express an opinion...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, billd766 said:

You can overwrite history which is what they are trying to do, to sanitise history to their way of thinking, because they KNOW better than the people who lived the history at the time.

Not the silliest comment ever, but I would award you a "participation medal".

You do realize that "they" are not burning the books, or banning them? Still in your public library, assuming the local militia hasn't stormed that yet.

I do find it funny that the right wing media seems consumed with Dr. Seuss and Mr. Potato Head, while much of the country deals with a pandemic and econimic downturn. #importantstuff

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr Seuss Enterprises, which preserves the late Theodor Seuss Geisel’s legac

https://www.seussville.com/statement-from-dr-seuss-enterprises/

If anything, this action draws more attention, good and bad, to the books, and fosters a discussion which is long overdue. We've never really come to terms with our history of racial injustice, perferring to pretend it never happend, that is wan't a big deal, that some of my best friends are..., and we should all move on. Until we acknowledge what we did, we'll never really make any headway.

Regarding these books, which I grew up with, and if it were up to me, I would re-contextualize the specific six books, and with a lot of input, annotate them to explain (for those few clueless people) what is wrong with them. I mean in the 1950's most Americans were a tad racist; we did support a "separate. but equal" policy, which in hindisght is nearly as embarassing as the bondage/property scheme which preceeded it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

I think i may be the only person who has never heard of him or his books until this issue.

Arent there any books that can be used written this century to make things up to date?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

the long neck canary

Not sure if you're being facetious, or are truly clueless? The canary is not the issue.

Again, the "they" here is, what appears to be, an organization that represents the Dr. Seuss publications.

Any beef should be taken up with "them", not some amorphous group of people some seem to think are "cancelling" them.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

14 minutes ago, J Town said:

This got one of the books pulled. Pure STUPID!

what.jpg

I was using that one in a different discussion and challenging people to depict a Chinese man eating from a bowl. Naturally they won't do it because they KNOW that they have to show someone with "yellow" skin and using (chop) sticks, which would be "stereotyping" (which is why the above pic was considered racist).
Another pic apparently shows Asian characters wearing "coolie hats" (basically the same as the character is wearing in the above pic) and somehow that is racist. (Because no Asians wear those kinds of hats, right ?) 

Sheesh, when they came out with Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders, the first episode (The Harmful One) was "set" in Thailand (but apparently filmed entirely in the USA) and literally every pic of Thais outside of the city had them wearing Vietnamese style "coolie hats". (It also had all the "Thais" wai-ing by holding their hands together - at belly button level !)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Big fan of Dr Seuss books, ''Green Eggs and Ham'' and ''Oh the places you'll go'' being absolute classics that children adore, but I will admit I am happy to see some of his titles being discontinued by the Dr Seuss Enterprises, the zoo book in particular is one I won't miss - some of the imagery is somewhat stereotypical and ill judged.

They were not meant to be deliberately offensive and Dr Seuss was by no means aiming to ridicule and marginalise others by mocking their ethnicity.

His books were a product of their time and the attitudes prevalent then.

Some stand the test of time, others do not...

The test of time is written and rewritten until those who wrote it are written out of it as being out of step with the latest test, rewrite.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

no more being Published/released - but no defined word as to whether the mere existence of the Editions will eventually become under threat?? 

In the meantime, if one cannot obtain actual books, the Online world is prevalent...

Here below from a simple initial Search via Dr Seuss on Issuu.com 

image.png.1a57a88901cc848fb95ccd314ea19c6a.png

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Not sure if you're being facetious, or are truly clueless? The canary is not the issue.

Again, the "they" here is, what appears to be, an organization that represents the Dr. Seuss publications.

Any beef should be taken up with "them", not some amorphous group of people some seem to think are "cancelling" them.

Neither. This is how this small group thinks.  Look for any angle , ANYTHING, to tear down societal balance and harmony.

There is no constructive conversation, no building a better world... Just endless divisiveness and destruction.

And this group attacked the business that handles Dr Seuss publications . That's why they were bending to that bad press and canceling them.

They claim there is racism in this Seuss page.

But my question was... Do you see anything racist in those words or pics yourself?

22FD5B3B-1F93-46D7-847D-9A48C98FAC83.jpeg

• Like 1