Kindle question

BananaBandit

You Kindlers probably know how, upon completing a Kindle document, Kindle then prompts you to rate the document (1 - 5 stars).   I press the "X" button every time, just to get out of the whole shebang. 

Is there a way one can tweak the settings in order to permanently delete this prompt for a rating?

Does anyone else feel that the "X" is disturbingly close to the "fifth star"?   As I sometimes read documents that might be less than impeccably politically correct, I'm afraid at some point I'll accidentally give a five-star rating that will then appear alongside my name on various websites/platforms.

Edited by BananaBandit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Is it the goodreads rating? If you go to settings > social and then unlink the goodreads account.

I read that you can also turn off the Wifi / put it in airplane mode - then sync books via USB - then Amazon can’t harvest your data. 

• Thanks 1

I have been using a kindle (different models) for years now----but I have never actually brought/ paid for a book--- have to try that sometime....Thanks for the tip....................:w00t:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

Does anyone else feel that the "X" is disturbingly close to the "fifth star"?   As I sometimes read documents that might be less than impeccably politically correct, I'm afraid at some point I'll accidentally give a five-star rating that will then appear alongside my name on various websites/platforms.

Give everything you read a  1* .......... how  easy  was that?

1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

I have been using a kindle (different models) for years now----but I have never actually brought/ paid for a book--- have to try that sometime....Thanks for the tip....................:w00t:

I had a mate like that in Egypt. He had a Kindle Fire and the only thing he did was play games on it!

I've only ever had the standard version, but I do read quite a bit, so for books are great.

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

Is it the goodreads rating? If you go to settings > social and then unlink the goodreads account.

I read that you can also turn off the Wifi / put it in airplane mode - then sync books via USB - then Amazon can’t harvest your data. 

Putting your Kindle into airplane mode does turn off the Wi-Fi. But what information is there on a Kindle for Amazon to harvest anyway? They only data that's on there is that which you have requested from Amazon.

11 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I had a mate like that in Egypt. He had a Kindle Fire and the only thing he did was play games on it!

I've only ever had the standard version, but I do read quite a bit, so for books are grea

For 12 years the only thing I ever use it for----is to read books Moonlover, so I just brought the Paper White version. I have never been on line with it.

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, recom273 said:

If I deleted my Goodreads account altogether, would that take care of any potential issues?

Or would things still show up somehow on Amazon.com or other platforms?

51 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I've only ever had the standard version, but I do read quite a bit, so for books are great.

Putting your Kindle into airplane mode does turn off the Wi-Fi. But what information is there on a Kindle for Amazon to harvest anyway? They only data that's on there is that which you have requested from Amazon.

These companies harvest any data they can; how long it takes you to read a book, how long per page, what time we read books, our reading behavior (cross referenced with other data from Amazon Alexa or fireTV), what books we read, how often we use their device and other uses. Do they still have the cheaper model that has targeted ads?

Some folks don’t like the fact they have paid for something and that doesn’t give Amazon or google the right to make money from their private data taken without their knowledge. Ask the OP what his objection is.

I use readarr, which monitors my caliber library, and downloads new books when they appear - it has goodreads integration, if I used their website, then goodreads recommended books would appear on my kindle. I don’t have issues with these suggestion sites, if they tie in with my home automations and save a bit of time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BananaBandit said:

If I deleted my Goodreads account altogether, would that take care of any potential issues?

Or would things still show up somehow on Amazon.com or other platforms?

I just tried to unlink my social networks and I got a blank page.

Not too sure if you can delete your goodreads account or unlink your Amazon account and still use the kindle.

Its the price you pay for modern day living - if you don’t want your data harvested by the corporations, I can understand, but I don’t think you need to worry about star ratings on goodreads reflecting upon you.

• Thanks 1