Giving a ride

Living in a small village I give everyone a ride when they need it for free because most don't have vehicles, only motorcycles.   Especially to the clinic/hospital or market.  Going to the market, hop on.  What I learned is the few people that have vehicles in the village charge, even family, for a ride. Got it put in a bit for fuel but if you are going anyway, especially for family.  A few words were spoke about me helping others but so be it. Guess have to make ends meet. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2021 at 7:21 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If involved in an accident and the "guest" is injured, expect to pay large.

And should said "guest" die, expect gaol, until paying larger, and then probably having to go back home onto benefits.  

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 7:34 PM, starky said:

Very common in the village mate. Family friends anyone generally made to pony up a bit of coin for gas. Like you I dont ever ask but my missus certainly will. 

Is it worth the risk?  

All it takes is someone to crash into you and your life in Thailand could change, dramatically.  

if your wife wants to earn a few baht, let her drive.  

I've never subscribed to, "everyone else does it so it must be ok."  

• Like 2

Appreciate all the comments.  Probably the mention of expectation management was one of the best comments that made sense.  Expectation management applies to everything in small village which my wife advises me and works things out if any indifference comes up. Generosity can create animosity. Learned that long ago. 

Still if my truck is going down the hill and I see you beside the road walking in my village (and I know you), will give you a ride if your going my way.  If you're in a bad way and you need to get to the clinic/hospital I will take you for free.  Just the way I was brought up to help a neighbor.  Maybe one day I need help. 

If immigration comes calling for me for giving a ride to medical or the market I will take my chances. 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2021 at 7:21 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

If involved in an accident and the "guest" is injured, expect to pay large.

Even if he is insured? I think we all know that insurance companies will never pay out if they can wangle their way out of it which is very regular.

On 3/26/2021 at 8:42 PM, Leaver said:

And should said "guest" die, expect gaol, until paying larger, and then probably having to go back home onto benefits.  

Isn't that a bit drastic? Not really I suppose, this is Thailand.

On 3/30/2021 at 10:59 AM, gunderhill said:

I'm more  likely to run over the  villagers  here than give them a lift, let's  say we don't  get on and leave it at that.

if you cannot get on with other Thais away from tourist places, there is something wrong somewhere. In 15 years here, I have never had a problem with any Thai apart from stopping them jumping queues.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

if you cannot get on with other Thais away from tourist places, there is something wrong somewhere. In 15 years here, I have never had a problem with any Thai apart from stopping them jumping queues.

I ignore them, they ignore me (apart from a smile/wave/hello as we pass).

Same as the neighbours back in England.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Isn't that a bit drastic? Not really I suppose, this is Thailand.

The death of a family member has a price in Thailand.  Justice is measured in baht. 

No point a Thai family sticking to principles and declining "compensation" from a farang and wanting him in gaol. 

They take the money and the farang goes free.  The police take their cut as well. 

Prices vary, but anywhere for 800k to 1 million baht will see most farang walk, despite being drunk, speeding, or both, and killing a Thai.  

• Like 1