It's not going to be greener is it?

Getting towards retirement age have been contemplating retiring to Thailand for the past 25 years .

Now I'm re considering.

A number of things have happened since to make me think again.

But before I get onto that I saw another post which again put it in my thoughts 

The poster wrote similar to "saw bored lonely old farsang men sitting outside chunky monkey Bar "

Which made me think ...are these farangs any happier now they made their move to Thailand / Pattaya?

I'm working full time at the moment in Australia..I live in my own apartment alone in City close to everything ...have no family. Have 2 good friends only have a secure job which I worked for last 30 years ...

So I start dreaming over the last few years if I moved to Pattaya how wonderful it will be .....but in reality ...

I will rent a 1 bedroom condo

I don't drink or smoke 

I guess every morning go to gym...

The rest of the day I guess chase bar girls 

After 6 months I guess bored 

So the dream is not going to be there in reality is it .

Unless of course I wait till I get older say 70 and settle down but I don't want to end up like those bored old faeang outside the chunky monkey

So unless there's a reason to retire to Thailand ...(the Dream for the last 25 years) maybe if I had a GF there ...but now it's becoming reality I'm scared to retire and go   

Is it going to be any better than my current lifestyle?

I have no family but 2 very good friends i can rely on 24 hours 

Do farangs retire to Thailand because of boredom... Loneliness.... Girlfriend...

Then find out 6 months later ...hey I'm missing my lifestyle back in farangland .

I want to retire eventually but I enjoy going to work and meeting with my colleagues...

What happens if I take my ultimate dream and off to Thailand ?

Is it going to be better 

Who had gone to retire there and GONE BACK to your own country after getting bored 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Besides contemplating and dreaming, what concrete steps have you taken to prepare for eventual retirement here ? In my book, a real acid test would be how much effort you've put into learning the language over the past quarter century. If the answer's 'not much,' you're probably just daydreaming. If you've put a ton of effort into it, I suspect you'd be more committed to giving it at least a trial run, and wouldn't be looking for people to talk you out of it.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Now I'm re considering.

Asking others about retirement to anywhere can only be your decision.

As stated already there are so many individuals with different personalities.

As said here " Up to you ".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

I think everyone needs to have a hobby that they can also 'fall back on' to past the time of day in an enjoyable way.  I'm a radio amateur and can devote as little or as many hours as I want each day to this hobby.  If I were still living in the UK, then I could do the same hobby.  It's just more relaxing doing it by the banks of the Mekong river in Laos ????

OP - your big mistake (IMHO), is your plan to chase bar girls all day.  Remove that from your plan and you'll probably live a happier and healthier life!

Conventional wisdom which won't work at present is to vacation every year in your chosen retirement place. That way you get the lie of the land and build up a group of contacts so that when you actually move it is not all new.

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I've never had the chance to try living alone, some woman has always moved in, usually within a week of the last one moving out. I suspect you're at least as hansum as me.

It's your  CHARM  bm  !    not many guys here know how appealing it is to most women to just

have a guy tell them what he wants ........... take it or leave it   ????

• Haha 1

Just now, rumak said:

It's your  CHARM  bm  !    not many guys here know how appealing it is to most women to just

have a guy tell them what he wants ........... take it or leave it   ????

The biggest problem I have between women is finding a big enough poopy stick to beat off the fat chicks until a skinny one arrives.

I would just get a tourist visa for 2 or 3 months. Hire an apartment and see how it goes. Go to a gym, date , get into new habits. An older guy with a superannuation fund who doesn't drink much and is easy going will be popular among thai women. Not just ones who want to rip you off but women who want stability, to be looked after, and are sick of a certain sort of Thai man.

I am in a similar position to you and spent two months in Thailand once in an apartment.  It's not that long but it gave me a taste of retirement. Had a motorbike. Went to gym and had the beach not too far. Good food each night. Had a girlfriend who was fun. Still can watch tv and play internet the same or similar to as before. It's a good life.  Hope to do it for six months a year in five years or so. 

13 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Getting towards retirement age have been contemplating retiring to Thailand for the past 25 years .

Now I'm re considering.

But before I get onto that I saw another post which again put it in my thoughts 

The poster wrote similar to "saw bored lonely old farsang men sitting outside chunky monkey Bar "

Which made me think ...are these farangs any happier now they made their move to Thailand / Pattaya?

I'm working full time at the moment in Australia..I live in my own apartment alone in City close to everything ...have no family. Have 2 good friends only have a secure job which I worked for last 30 years ...

So I start dreaming over the last few years if I moved to Pattaya how wonderful it will be .....but in reality ...

I will rent a 1 bedroom condo

I don't drink or smoke 

I guess every morning go to gym...

The rest of the day I guess chase bar girls 

After 6 months I guess bored 

So the dream is not going to be there in reality is it .

Unless of course I wait till I get older say 70 and settle down but I don't want to end up like those bored old faeang outside the chunky monkey

So unless there's a reason to retire to Thailand ...(the Dream for the last 25 years) maybe if I had a GF there ...but now it's becoming reality I'm scared to retire and go   

Is it going to be any better than my current lifestyle?

I have no family but 2 very good friends i can rely on 24 hours 

Do farangs retire to Thailand because of boredom... Loneliness.... Girlfriend...

Then find out 6 months later ...hey I'm missing my lifestyle back in farangland .

I want to retire eventually but I enjoy going to work and meeting with my colleagues...

What happens if I take my ultimate dream and off to Thailand ?

Is it going to be better 

Who had gone to retire there and GONE BACK to your own country after getting bored 

I think I would of loved leaving London SE1 and flying right over Thailand  and retiring in Australia and just visiting  Thailand. The climate to hot hard to meet good people. 

2 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Conventional wisdom which won't work at present is to vacation every year in your chosen retirement place. That way you get the lie of the land and build up a group of contacts so that when you actually move it is not all new.

He is leaving Australia.! Not bloody the UK can't compare the two 

• Confused 1

Why Pattaya? Is that Thailand to you? Further down the coast, you have Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat. You can live without the hectic city environment and still be very comfortable. Above assumes you like beaches.

I live in Chiang Mai. We chose to live here for the friendly people, and many other factors. I'm a cyclist. I ride quiet rural roads several times a week. I play golf two or three times a week, having about ten very nice courses to choose from within an hour's drive. 

I'm not trying to sell you on CM, but asking you to broaden your horizons. Someone above suggested six months here/there. Try that for a while in different parts of the country. There's more to life than a bar stool in Pattaya. 

• Like 2

After 30 years in Thailand I would like to retire in Australia ???? but it is to expensive for me. Did not visit Queensland yet but have been told it has a similar climate like Thailand so the climate is not a reason. The nature in Australia is spectacular, so they don't move for that.  So my guess is that many Australians retire here because they get more value and because they can not handle their own over emancipated (oversized) woman and think THai girls are perfect ???? ?  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

Why Pattaya? Is that Thailand to you? Further down the coast, you have Rayong, Chanthaburi, Trat. You can live without the hectic city environment and still be very comfortable. Above assumes you like beaches.

I live in Chiang Mai. We chose to live here for the friendly people, and many other factors. I'm a cyclist. I ride quiet rural roads several times a week. I play golf two or three times a week, having about ten very nice courses to choose from within an hour's drive. 

I'm not trying to sell you on CM, but asking you to broaden your horizons. Someone above suggested six months here/there. Try that for a while in different parts of the country. There's more to life than a bar stool in Pattaya. 

I agree with you but CNX is not the only place to live if you like outdoor activities, I would not like to live in PTY but in that area he can find similar activities (golf, cycling, diving, skydiving etc) but without all the pollution.

• Sad 1

Good that you ask those question! For me it is important to feel well in the culture of the host country. Accepting the culture means also to learn the language accept the shortcomings. Of course there are things in Thailand to be criticized. But I am tired of reading in this forum so often how stupid Thais and the system are. But the naive approach to problems and to close the eyes in front of ugly facts are part of "the deal" and leading finally to the happy Thai personality we all love. The biggest problem I see is that if you really want to be "part of it" and you notice that you are just a second class citizen, a permanent guest. There is no effort and wish to integrate foreigners. To avoid living in a foreigner bubble is difficult but not impossible. But my impression is that many foreigners cling to those bubbles and accept this space.

• Like 1

So much depends on exactly what you want from your retirement "dream life".
If your worried about loneliness then it's all about if you're a social type of person. You could have quite a busy life playing golf, attending parties and barbecues various functions and friends houses, IF you have an outgoing personality and make friends easily.
If the prime reason for considering Thailand for retirement is just a "girlie bar scene", then I'm sure you'll soon get bored and tired of that. Many Babes come with some serious attitude problems these days and aren't always cheap.
My advice, come for 6 months and spend the time travelling around country and exploring some of the cities. For example Chang Mai in my opinion is a much more friendly expat community than say Pattaya or Phuket, although the "babes" are perhaps not of the same quality.
Perhaps I should also add that I am aware of quite a few expats have thrown the towel in over the last couple of years and moved on to Cambodia or Vietnam, perhaps not because they're bored with Thailand, but it's just become too expensive for them to live the lifestyle that they desire.

• Like 1

IMO it's impossible to be bored in Thailand, just getting on my scooter or into my car here is a daily survival adventure. Getting my Thai GF to understand reason and logic is another. My massage lady likes to push the boundaries of propriety, although I must admit I do envy NCC having a topless housekeeper.

I'm now wondering if I can persuade my GF to do the sweeping without knickers.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1