It's not going to be greener is it?

On 3/6/2021 at 5:30 AM, simon43 said:

I think everyone needs to have a hobby that they can also 'fall back on' to past the time of day in an enjoyable way.  I'm a radio amateur and can devote as little or as many hours as I want each day to this hobby.  If I were still living in the UK, then I could do the same hobby.  It's just more relaxing doing it by the banks of the Mekong river in Laos ????

OP - your big mistake (IMHO), is your plan to chase bar girls all day.  Remove that from your plan and you'll probably live a happier and healthier life!

How's  your  satellite doing? is  it  up there yet?

On 3/6/2021 at 6:04 PM, xeniv23 said:

I'm 71 and I arrived here last December on an O-A based on retirement.  I brought two folding kayaks with me, an expedition double and an expedition single and a sailing rig that fits both.  I brought three fly rods to head off into the jungle after mahseer and queenfish in saltwater.  Binoculars for bird and fish watching.  Backpacking gear for trekking in the north. 

Since arriving I've leased a nice house in a very nice area with three lakes to hike and bike around, bought an SUV to haul the kayaks and the bikes around in and have set out to see Thailand at the granular level.  The driving is not that different if you are used to driving in, say, Ukraine, where I lived for about 5 years.  Yeah, it's the other side of the road but just be cooperative with the other drivers and don't insist on the right of way like you would in America.  You'll be fine.  Normal practices here would lead to gunfire in America inside of two minutes.....hahaha....  Here, it's just normal everyday life.  

I don't drink, never have.  Live a healthy life.  Spent a couple of weeks around Nana two years ago and that completely satisfied my curiosity and I don't plan on spending any, meaning 0, time in bars or chasing bar girls.  I did it for two weeks and was bored after three days.  End of that story.  

I just got back from a week long exploration trip up to Chiang Rai hiking and looking around.  Air was pretty dirty but it was still a pretty amazing time.  It just whetted the appetite for more.  Headed down south next to do some kayaking and fly fishing fresh and salt water.  Maybe even try to remember some of those long unused rock climbing skills.  

All the while that this goes on I keep meeting such lovely and helpful people.  Probably better people than I deserve but I'll take my luck.  

Boredom generally, in my experience, results from doing the same things over and over.  Get out of your old skin and try new things.  Thailand is an amazing country filled with very many wonderful people.  Many farang here seem to have some sort of aggrieved sense of entitlement.  Just bear in mind that this is not your country, it is theirs and the rules are not set to be convenient for us.  Rather, we are granted privileges, not rights, and they can be changed or withdrawn at any time.  Understand and accept that you are a guest here and act like it.  

The grass is greenest where you are standing if you do it right.  

I could not agree more. I like the “

Many farangs here seem to have some sort of aggrieved sense of entitlement.” It is often the case. One tends to forget that we live in a country that is not ours and which we presumably like enough to have chosen to live in it.. In Rome.....

4 hours ago, OswaldBastable said:

Did any wife continue to be the 'fun girl' their husband married? 

Of course not, the 'fun girl' was a pretense assumed to achieve marriage, and once married quickly discarded.  

I was still naive and optimistic back then.

Also, my girl was "different". I admit it- I was fooled.

24 minutes ago, Anant72 said:

Spent a couple of weeks around Nana two years ago and that completely satisfied my curiosity and I don't plan on spending any, meaning 0, time in bars or chasing bar girls.  I did it for two weeks and was bored after three days. 

You just went for the wrong girls. Mistake many make is thinking the prettiest are the best.

27 minutes ago, Anant72 said:

Boredom generally, in my experience, results from doing the same things over and over. 

Only if they are boring things in the first place. I could look at a thousand sunsets and never get bored by them. I can look at a thousand pretty faces and never get bored of doing so. I could go on, but I'm sure one gets the idea.

The answer is to find something that one does like doing over and over.

Bar girls will be sleeping during the day .

Get yourself  a planing including outdoor activities ( jogging, ) whatever you like .boredom will settle if you stay indoor. And that's anywhere you will be going. Renting a house v/s an apartment can make a difference . Fixing things around, get a dog ..

Bar girls will be sleeping during the day .

Get yourself  a planing including outdoor activities ( jogging, ) whatever you like .boredom will settle if you stay indoor. And that's anywhere you will be going. Renting a house v/s an apartment can make a difference . Fixing things around, get a dog ..

On 3/8/2021 at 7:20 AM, gunderhill said:

How's  your  satellite doing? is  it  up there yet?

LoL, of course not!  I have to book a passage on the rocket about 2 years in advance, and find the $20,000 or so to pay for it.  But construction of the little beast in my kitchen is going fine ????  My garden now has so many radio antennas and satellite dishes, that the locals assume I'm stark raving bonkers! (which may be true, but this persona also helps to deter scammers, thieves and greedy women...)