Throwing caution to the wind and b u g g e r the diet – How about you .

On 3/14/2021 at 3:23 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

There are no doubt merits in the approaches of those cited but I think it is reasonable to consider the shortcomings of living life with a continued focus on health and longevity and not on being fulfilled and satisfied and happy.

No doubt, though now superseded by the brilliant TVF B u g g e r The Diet Way To Happiness. Bound to happen. But there’s always a touch of absolutism in simple-minded binary thinking, no? Why the convenient requirement that one must preclude the other? Why not have both? WOT??? <knickers soiling> 

Based on the abundance of evidence, not to mention all the testimonials continually heard in the Health forum (why’s everyone so serious all of a sudden?), it’s actually more reasonable to consider the obvious shortcomings (not to mention shortness) of living life without due attention to one’s possible healthspan and lifespan.

Such consideration, as shown in the lives of some outstanding examples, might then lead one to make the rational decision to optimize BOTH via a healthy lifestyle. That would mean a high probability, over a meaningfully longer period of time, of greater fulfillment, satisfaction, and happiness—greater, that is, than might be otherwise attained via the Throwing caution to the wind and b u g g e r the diet principle.????

• Like 1

If the Reaper confronts me - I will kick him in the nuts as hard as I can. Never lose the fighting spirit.

How do I train for the conflict? Diet, vitamins, exercise, and keeping my thinking positive. Perhaps the Reaper is thinking "that little <deleted> is gonna be hard to kill."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

No doubt, though now superseded by the brilliant TVF B u g g e r The Diet Way To Happiness. Bound to happen. But there’s always a touch of absolutism in simple-minded binary thinking, no? Why the convenient requirement that one must preclude the other? Why not have both? WOT??? <knickers soiling> 

Based on the abundance of evidence, not to mention all the testimonials continually heard in the Health forum (why’s everyone so serious all of a sudden?), it’s actually more reasonable to consider the obvious shortcomings (not to mention shortness) of living life without due attention to one’s possible healthspan and lifespan.

Such consideration, as shown in the lives of some outstanding examples, might then lead one to make the rational decision to optimize BOTH via a healthy lifestyle. That would mean a high probability, over a meaningfully longer period of time, of greater fulfillment, satisfaction, and happiness—greater, that is, than might be otherwise attained via the Throwing caution to the wind and b u g g e r the diet principle.????

Thanks for the detailed reply.

1ST POST
You think it has to be <deleted> the diet or not.  Strange argument. Just because the post set down too extremes does not mean you have to reply in extremes.   I am saying throwing in an ice cream here and there is not likely to be a killer or lead to a significant threat. I have just said discipline and a healthy diet, with a bit of pleasure seeking without calorie counting thrown in, can work together and doesn't have to be a death knell or mean long periods in a hospital.

I never made the argument that a longer life means a few more years in the nursing home as others did.
Your next argument seems to say you better not enjoy any less healthy food on the basis that you are in good shape now because you may not be and the ice cream might tip you over the edge. It is possible but not statistically and scientifically  likely. Keep in mind I concur that diet and fitness are important but that you can, and possibly should, enjoy yourself as well. I enjoy some sweet and calorific foods. Possibly you do not so it is not an issue for you.     
2ND POST
I noted an admiration for Walker88 for his ability to be able to drop the sugar and love the salad long term. It is not controversial to say it is difficult and or undesirable for most people to have that extreme diet all the time.
You go to absolutes talking about obesity statistics. My comment was not excusing people for being obese or for not having discipline. I agree there is no upside to being obese. 
 I didn't say salad is the only healthy food or that I don't eat healthy food  - I just used Walker88's comments on ice cream and salad as an example.
Then you make the same argument as Post 1.
3RD POST
I have made a point about Bill Maher and I don't think you've added much new. It appeared to me that your descriptions seemed to be an opinion of him rather than just the video.  You say that you can make an opinion on him based on this video only or that you do not want to look beyond this video. OK.
I did not say Euell Gibbons said he would live forever. They were comments on two different people. Go back and see what I said. I acknowledge that Maher could be deemed to have taken a cheap shot but in my opinion his point had some merit. As I had said he cut corners.
Mr Gibbons advocated eating wild plants -I don't think it was just to outdoorsman but to the general populace .  He died young. Cheap shot. Fair enough. 
More extreme extrapolations follow  - because I don't want to have a serious no fun diet does not mean I am advocate being a couch potato or being in a beer bar. How did you put those two arguments together. 
4TH POST
I addressed your first point above.  Then you continue your extreme argument.. suggesting that self discipline and a person's judgement of a situation isn't worth much and it's a slippery slope to drug addiction type behaviour.
I can only talk for myself. I have an approach that works for me. Sugar for some may be like heroin. For others, who exercise regularly and have some self discipline, it is not. 
Your comments though probably do have merit for some out there who have become terribly addicted probably for a whole range of reasons- poverty, self esteem etc. But there are many people who can have the odd ice cream.. and even god forbid a beer or two .. without their health falling into a heap.  
5TH POST
Concur. No binary thinking here. I think I am clearly advocating fitness and a good diet. The odd ice cream too. 
Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

17 hours ago, BigStar said:

Suppose you would've had a heart attack and died at age 47 like Jim Fixx. But diet & fitness enabled you to avoid his problem and so live to 74 like George Sheehan,

Sure, the best outcome is to live till 3 score and 10 and then drop dead, but most of us either die young or eke out a rather depressing life after work. I put myself in the latter category.

I certainly would prefer to live large and die at 47 than live in a horrid rest home at 74.

Had I known the reality of life after surgery I might have opted to spend it all and live large till the cancer took me at 60, but we all have perfect hindsight.

I think Neil Young put it best in "into the black"

My my, hey hey
Rock and roll is here to stay
It's better to burn out than to fade away
My my, hey hey
Out of the blue and into the black
They give you this, but you paid for that
And once you're gone, you can never come back
When you're out of the blue and into the black
The king is gone, but he's not forgotten
This is the story of Johnny Rotten
It's better to burn out than it is to rust
The king is gone but he's not forgotten
Hey hey, my my
Rock and roll can never die
There's more to the picture
Than meets the eye
Hey hey, my my

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Sugar for some may be like heroin.

Sadly that is me.

If diabetes was instantly fatal, rather than a progression of eye and kidney problems, with an occasional amputation, I might be tempted to damn the torpedoes and binge out on a cornucopia of sugary delights till I passed over. The prospect of never again sugar is not a happy one.

Unfortunately, all the alternative "sweeteners" I've tried are not sweet at all, despite the blurb on the back of the packet. One brand claimed one sachet was equivalent to one teaspoon of sugar, but even 8 sachets was insufficient to make a difference.

If anyone knows of any alternative that actually is sweet, I'd appreciate it if you note it on this thread.

On 3/15/2021 at 5:46 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Why should one abstain from enjoyable food just to live longer in some hell hole rest home, where one can be ignored by the overworked and underpaid staff, and parked in front of day time tv to be driven crazy ( at least if one is crazy one isn't going to be horrified at what their life has become ).

The main purpose wouldn’t be “just to live longer;” you’ve begged the question of what makes food enjoyable to whom and why; and the Just In Case fallacy renders your imagined scenario invalid. So we’re left with merely a deflection used to maintain the narrative.

Note we’ve identified enjoyable food as only fried chicken, fries, milkshakes, and ice cream. Accordingly, we fantasize that otherwise there's only tuna salads and water. Nonsense. For example,

44 Healthy Low-Carb Foods That Taste Incredible
What Can You Eat on a Low Carb Diet?

Plenty of enjoyable foods besides tuna salad and water. Therefore one can enjoy healthy foods and not miss the unhealthy unless he’s addicted to sugar and bad carbs. If so, why not just get over the addiction? 

More on it's not "just to live longer."

It's really more about living well while you can: healthspan. So while ignoring that concept, we define happiness to be only Happiness While Eating, which only certain c r a p p y foods provide to addicts. Why aren’t we hearing anything about all the Happiness While Not Eating? That is, most of the time. WOT?

Yeah, let’s consider the full extent of the B u g g e r e d Happiness outside eating ice cream and drinking. Let’s have the numbers and list of meds. Oh—and does the Happiness last into sobriety?

How embarrassing. Truth to tell, our B u g g e r The Dieters tend to have all sorts of unpleasant preventable health and fitness problems from a relatively young age. WOT? These they confess not HERE but over in the Health and I’m Too Fat forums with true, not imagined, seriousness, grimness, worry, and misery. There they grimly seek the BEST docs and hospitals while talking heart attacks, pain, meds, injections, stents, blood pressure, strokes, cholesterol, surgeries, blah blah ad infinitum. Where are the cutesy cartoons, vids & jokes? Gone. Stress, perhaps? Where’s the “I’ve had me ice cream, shorter’s life OK, B u g g e r The Docs & Meds!” WOT? NO! We never hear no B u g g e r The Docs & Meds after all the posturing about having accepted The Deal. Why?

Back in the real world, healthy & fit people are, other things equal, happier because they have less stress, worry, and misery that accompany health problems. No, they don’t at all envy the unfortunates addicted to sugar and carbs. Rather, they’re merely thankful they’re over it and feeling great. 

Oddly, the size of weight loss and weight management market has grown to staggering proportions as people become increasingly aware of what the B u g g e r The Diet really means. You can imagine that a great proportion have tried it already. 

The weight loss and weight management diet market size was valued at 192.2 billion in 2019, and is projected reach $295.3 billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of 10.6% from 2021 to 2027. The better-for-you segment led in terms of market share in 2019, and is expected to retain its dominance throughout the forecast period.

Alarming increase has been witnessed in incidence of health problems such as diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and cancer in developed economies in past few years. Change in food habits, sedentary lifestyle, and high disposable income in North America and Western Europe increase the susceptibility of individuals to develop health problems such as diabetes and cancer. Thus, rise in incidence of health disorders has fostered the adoption of weight loss and weight management products.   

--https://www.alliedmarketresearch.com/weight-loss-management-diet-market   

Overall, the global wellness industry is worth 4.5 trillion. Again, as shown, it isn’t mainly about lifespan at all, as our B u g g e r e r s here falsely deflect as part of rationalizing.

So this really answers your question, "Why" except we should deal with your Just In Case fallacy commonly parroted here. 

In case a healthier lifestyle did perchance result in a longer lifespan we’re also gonna pretend, as you have, that it only means "a few" extra years of misery in a bed sit.

In reality, of course, those years may well not be so spent. They weren’t for Jack LaLanne, for example.

However, one advantage of postponing the time in the bedsit as long as possible is that medical advances may be able to compress that terminal period of frailty, illness, and disability at the end of life in favor of a longer period of health.

Furthermore, the longer the period of terminal decline is postponed the more rapid it’s likely to be. To illustrate at the extreme, a heart attack at the age 50 is likely survivable but not at 95. (Extrapolate to other ages and diseases.) If you’re going to develop heart failure and diabetes, much better to get it at age 85 than 70 so that you don’t have to live with it long at all, compressing the time of illness in proportion to total years lived. Is this possible? Yep. Makes sense anyway.

Lifestyle Habits and Compression of Morbidity

So our B u g g e r The Dieter also goes into the bedsit, but an earlier age, and may likely spend more time in there than will the healthier longer-lived, years later. But then he’s also had, in all likelihood, additional years of suffering with chronic illnesses before he even got there. In parallel, during both those periods at the end of the shorter lifespan of the B u g g e r e r--a much longer total period of discomfort--the healthy and fit simply enjoyed remaining healthy and fit.???? So which, now, is the better course?

Peter Attia noted recently, 

The longest lived among us do not live longer with chronic disease; they live longer without them. Atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD), the most prevalent disease in the developed world, is the disease most likely to cause death into old age.

Amazing how blind we’ll be to rationalize self-defeating behavior and avoid taking action to change it. So it’s all a ridiculous argument based on a lot of nonsense. TVF hot air and posturing’s always good for its comedic value, however.

Point of View is worth 80 IQ points.
     —Alan Kay

On 3/15/2021 at 5:46 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

No need to bring up the side effects of diabetes, as I'm well aware of them.

Been real impressed with your medical expertise and personal application of it so far, m’lord, though puzzled why you’d wish to encourage our posters in a unhealthy diet. Misery loves company I s’pose. But you’ve misunderstood: I’d hardly undertake to school a personage of your eminence in the subject. You aren’t perchance diabetic yourself, are you? UH huh. Not unlikely, I’d guessed. (That was not a diagnosis.) So was my father, BTW.

Fact is, you simply didn’t deign to offer the benefit of your expertise to the OP. Is the Commonwealth now bereft of all sense of noblesse oblige? Alas.

The OP should perhaps be aware that his behavior may (or may not) represent such a side effect, however. Unfortunately, he labors under the false belief that 

Where you think to your self , look no matter what I eat or drink at my age its not really going to make a big difference or drastically change things

Studies, however, have proven quite the opposite, as you know well of course. And such nonsense misleads other members and helps them rationalize their own bad habits.

I think we’re seeing a lot of self-pitying excuses here. 

So, though reluctant to venture into one of your many fields of expertise, I did presume, without permission, to take it upon my lowly self to inform him of a possible issue, based on ostensibly credible references. PSA: As well it might behoove other posters to be aware that their sugar craving MAY be getting a bit of extra oomph from asymptomatic diabetes not revealed by their measly fasting glucose tests. The earlier that’s checked, the better. I was just reading a new study that

. . . provides another argument that the most important thing you can do to slow diabetes progression is to change your life style early in the progression of the disease, before blood glucose is elevated, Fryk says.
     --https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/03/210315115049.htm

Insulin rises before cells develop resistance, new diabetes research implies. So it makes sense in general to eat in such a way as to keep it from rising. It's not a matter of ONE instance at one particular point in time but of the cumulative effect. Note how so many of us pigged out during childhood and adolescence even before reaching adulthood.

As for me, now, if I were OP, I’d have the grace to appreciate such a heads up. Then again I’ve never subscribed to the Ignorance Is Bliss principle. 

Edited by BigStar

On 3/15/2021 at 5:51 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Plenty of people live that long and do nothing to eat well or keep fit.

Yup. But yet another deflection: again, it’s more about healthspan. BTW, inquiring minds of prospective B u g g e r The Dieters (those not yet b u g g e r e d) would like to know how one might know sufficiently in advance that he’ll be one of those plenty of people? I didn’t get the memo, son. So, like George Sheehan, while taking rational steps to increase my healthspan I may possibly to tip the lifespan scale a bit more in my favor. Above I've addressed the TVF Few-Extra-Years-In-A-Bedsit Postulate.

On 3/15/2021 at 5:51 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

My father never did exercise beyond walking and lived till his 90s, though given his mental state at the end it would have been a mercy for him to die 5 years earlier.

Perhaps he'd have made to 100 or more with a more enjoyable last 5 years (or less) if he’d improved his diet and walked faster. 

Lessons on Aging Well, From a 105-Year-Old Cyclist

Jack LaLanne did, and his last 5 years were just great. He was dashing, spry, sharp, and enjoying himself to the end at age 96. No bedsit for him, nossir. 

So there are a couple of specific examples to blow your and the rest of our B u g g e r e r s’ whole Few-Extra-Years-In-A-Bedsit narrative. WOT? 

The friend, a doctor, loved to ask Dad [Jack LaLanne] what he planned to do with his "extra six months" of life?

Jack LaLanne had the answer. Living well has its own daily rewards. No matter how many years you're destined to spend on this planet, you'll be better off staying in shape.

Maybe you'll cheat death a little longer, but staving off frailty and living life vigorously, as LaLanne did, may be the surer return on your lifestyle investment.
He died of complications from pneumonia at his California home Sunday. He was 96. But his agent said he exercised right up until the end.
    --Jack LaLanne: A Fitting End At 96

A real man—a happy, busy man throughout his long and vigorous life--he had a few amusing choice sayings for our girls whining for their strawberry milkshakes:

"If man makes it," he liked to say, "don't eat it."

And on flavor? “If it tastes good,” he ordered, “spit it out.”

On 3/18/2021 at 9:15 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Sure, the best outcome is to live till 3 score and 10 and then drop dead, but most of us either die young or eke out a rather depressing life after work. I put myself in the latter category.

I certainly would prefer to live large and die at 47 than live in a horrid rest home at 74.

Had I known the reality of life after surgery I might have opted to spend it all and live large till the cancer took me at 60, but we all have perfect hindsight.

"Best" is an irrelevant over-generalization. "Most of us" depressed after retirement is nonsense.

Retiree Survey: Nearly All Say They Are Happy Though Many Are Financially Insecure

The comparison was between two runners of roughly equal outward circumstances (middle class, family life, authors), NOT one who'd lived large vs one who didn't. Peter Attia has a friend who knows Warren Buffet and says all Buffet talks about these days is his health in old age. Attia speculates quite rightly that Buffet (who still lives large) would trade all his wealth to be young again. Nor does anyone younger and in good health really want to trade places with Buffet now. 

Life after surgery or after contracting any number of illness can be unpleasant, true. So then you've made the case against B u g g e r The Diet: to increase the likelihood of remaining free of such for as long as possible. The "few extra years in the bedsit" assertion was addressed above. 

On 3/18/2021 at 9:15 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I think Neil Young put it best in "into the black"

VERY few envy Johnny Rotten. Certainly Neil Young himself doesn't, living on his thousands of acres Broken Arrow Ranch in California with Daryl Hannah.????

Tennyson > Neil Young:

I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
For ever and forever when I move.
How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!
As tho' to breathe were life! Life piled on life
Were all too little, and of one to me
Little remains: but every hour is saved
From that eternal silence, something more,
A bringer of new things . . . .

Old age hath yet his honour and his toil;
Death closes all: but something ere the end,
Some work of noble note, may yet be done,
Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods. . . .

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. . . . 

--Ulysses

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, BigStar said:

Perhaps he'd have made to 100 or more with a more enjoyable last 5 years (or less) if he’d improved his diet and walked faster. 

and perhaps you don't actually know anything about his condition at all, given you never met him. Physically he was pretty fit till the end, and certainly never overweight ( sadly I inherited my mother's genes, and not his ). I'm not aware that "eating healthy" stops mental conditions occurring, though perhaps you have some nifty advice that eating carrots or such keeps one in fine mental health till the end. There's more to ill health than physical, though I'm sure you know that.

VERY few envy Johnny Rotten. Certainly Neil Young himself doesn't, living on his thousands of acres Broken Arrow Ranch in California with Daryl Hannah.????

As usual you missed the point I was making and jumped headlong into the weeds. I bolded the part about It's better to burn out than to fade away and It's better to burn out than it is to rust because that was what I was referring to. I left the rest in as it's a good song, but my point had nothing to do with Rotten, and everything to do with living large when one can- something I did my whole life, till a dud marriage took my financial means and reduced my existence to memories and a poor future. I could be the fittest man on the planet and it wouldn't change my situation.

Never mind, you are obviously having fun writing long posts, so carry on.

• Like 1

I am a part of all that I have met;
Yet all experience is an arch wherethro'
Gleams that untravell'd world whose margin fades
For ever and forever when I move.
How dull it is to pause, to make an end,
To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use!

An apt quote.

The problem with living a life larger than that of most, or travelling to amazing parts of the world unseen by all except a lucky few, is that no normal existence can ever satisfy, in the way most can be satisfied with small things. Certainly I lived larger than most. Thailand was a fitting place to end my life because it's an amazing country for those prepared to get out and look for the hidden places, but that ended sadly for me.

Have a nice day in paradise. You're indeed lucky if you know enough to appreciate being there.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not aware that "eating healthy" stops mental conditions occurring, though perhaps you have some nifty advice that eating carrots or such keeps one in fine mental health till the end.

Quite a lot of evidence that eating healthy does slow the rate of cognitive decline.

Diet may help preserve cognitive function

So, google and get yourself up-to-date. Nothing new, actually.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diet+effect+on+cognitive+decline&pws=0&gl=us

Another nail in the coffin for B u g g e r The Diet, to use trad TVF lingo. Yet some posts around here do seem to have been written by the already B u g g e r e d. Unconsciously, to be sure. 

This isn't to suggest that Alzheimer's is known preventable but some studies, as you'll see, do favor--wait for it--diet & exercise. 'Course, then there's cancer it its myriad forms. Bad luck will remain bad luck.   

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Quite a lot of evidence that eating healthy does slow the rate of cognitive decline.

Diet may help preserve cognitive function

So, google and get yourself up-to-date. Nothing new, actually.

https://www.google.com/search?q=diet+effect+on+cognitive+decline&pws=0&gl=us

Another nail in the coffin for B u g g e r The Diet, to use trad TVF lingo. Yet some posts around here do seem to have been written by the already B u g g e r e d. Unconsciously, to be sure. 

This isn't to suggest that Alzheimer's is known preventable but some studies, as you'll see, do favor--wait for it--diet & exercise. 'Course, then there's cancer it its myriad forms. Bad luck will remain bad luck.   

My father didn't eat "unhealthy", and in all things he was moderate. If he suffered mental problems it certainly wasn't because of his diet. My medical problems arise from my mother's genes, so I guess I was just unlucky there. She was a fanatic when it came to diet, and she still died after losing bits of herself to the surgeon's knife. Just luck of the draw IMO, like the lottery- only a few get to be winners.

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

An apt quote.

The problem with living a life larger than that of most, or travelling to amazing parts of the world unseen by all except a lucky few, is that no normal existence can ever satisfy, in the way most can be satisfied with small things. Certainly I lived larger than most. Thailand was a fitting place to end my life because it's an amazing country for those prepared to get out and look for the hidden places, but that ended sadly for me.

Have a nice day in paradise. You're indeed lucky if you know enough to appreciate being there.

It's laughable to say on this monger forum, but, at least for those somewhat educated, one of the biggest advantages of slowing the cognitive decline is the ability continue the great mental voyage when you're no longer up to the physical. Be great when The Authorities legalize the use psychedelics for enhancement, as they seem gradually doing here and there.  

Fortunately the internet has vastly increased the scope and range of possible exploration. I read and learn a bunch of new things of interest daily, stuff I'd postponed when I had no time. Reading a new book I downloaded yesterday. I'm always watching some new movies or series or appreciating things I hadn't noticed about old ones the first around. Then there's all the incredible possibilities now to communicate with the outside world.

You see, your vision of the bedsit with just a small black & white TV is woefully outdated.

Even in Thailand, the mental voyage can be a major part of the interest and fun without your having to travel far at all. Mere character study is most entertaining, if you can speak some Thai. Earlier this week I met the most amazing old Thai character who owns a local shop I had cause to visit. Made my day. Later I tried to walk into Lotus and my mask broke. I turned around and began trying to tie the elastic to the corner. An older lady walking in with a friend saw me and immediately took a new mask from a bag and handed it to me. That was nice. Small things . . . .

So Thoreau "traveled a great deal in Concord,” his town in Massachusetts, and found as much of interest to him there as anywhere.

Speaking of voyaging, It's amazing how often falling down will do in an old person. Falls are a leading cause of death by accident, believe it or not. So then keeping up the physical health at least makes the voyage to the toilet or kitchen far less hazardous.  

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 7:34 PM, BigStar said:

You see, your vision of the bedsit with just a small black & white TV is woefully outdated.

Given you quoted me, that must be referring to me and you made it up. I've never desired a black and white tv and the only tvs I've owned are colour.

Speaking of voyaging, It's amazing how often falling down will do in an old person. Falls are a leading cause of death by accident,

Many of my patients in an orthopaedic ward were old ladies that fell over and broke their neck of femur. Most survived after surgery.

Later I tried to walk into Lotus and my mask broke. I turned around and began trying to tie the elastic to the corner. An older lady walking in with a friend saw me and immediately took a new mask from a bag and handed it to me.

Not in NZ she wouldn't. The cheap ones common in Thailand are not available that I've seen, and I was asked $10 for a disposable one in a pharmacy.

It's no wonder hardly anyone wears masks in NZ.

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've never desired a black and white tv and the only tvs I've owned are colour.

That's part of the issue w/ the outdated exaggeration of how bad the bedsit has to be. In the Doomster vision of the bedsit, you don't get to bring in your color TV but are issued a small 12-inch black and white. Oh, no aircon either, just a fan. ????

Edited by BigStar

23 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not in NZ she wouldn't. The cheap ones common in Thailand are not available that I've seen, and I was asked $10 for a disposable one in a pharmacy.

It's no wonder hardly anyone wears masks in NZ.

In Thailand a neighbour called round and handed us a box of 20.

Back on topic .......

Just had lunch, cooked myself a medium pizza from scratch, with bacon, pineapple and mushroom toppings, with two wine coolers, so much for my diet. There's enough dough left for another one tomorrow.

Edited by BritManToo

On 3/19/2021 at 12:29 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

As usual you missed the point I was making and jumped headlong into the weeds. I bolded the part about It's better to burn out than to fade away and It's better to burn out than it is to rust because that was what I was referring to. I left the rest in as it's a good song, but my point had nothing to do with Rotten, and everything to do with living large when one can- something I did my whole life, till a dud marriage took my financial means and reduced my existence to memories and a poor future. I could be the fittest man on the planet and it wouldn't change my situation.

Never mind, you are obviously having fun writing long posts, so carry on.

JR didn't live long enough, Neil Young has lived too long and now stuck with an ugly hag he dare not cheat on if he wants to keep his ranch. Somewhere in the middle would be about right.

Who would have imagined she'd end up this big?

I guess she threw caution to the wind with her diet a few years back.

DarylHannahNeilYoung_083018.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

JR didn't live long enough, Neil Young has lived too long and now stuck with an ugly hag he dare not cheat on if he wants to keep his ranch. Somewhere in the middle would be about right.

Who would have imagined she'd end up this big?

I guess she threw caution to the wind with her diet a few years back.

DarylHannahNeilYoung_083018.jpg

I had to google to find out who she is. Mind you he isn't the slimmest around.

I remember her with fondness in Summer Lovers- a young man's wet dream movie.

On 3/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, BigStar said:

You've entirely missed his point. He's with our Throwing caution to the wind and b u g g e r the diet brigade. His issue is being unable to drink, not exercise. 

Ironically after disparaging reading in favor drinking, he has no idea he could have brought in a liter of spirits in his carry on bag, as posters here have affirmed. Fact, he might have got away with 2 liters. So that was rather self-defeating, no? Or, if he happened to read it, growing cognitive decline caused by previous drinking ensured that he'd forgotten. ????

Alcohol use disorder is a 'major risk factor' for dementia

https://www.beingpatient.com/reading-improves-memory-prevent-dementia/

I got away with 2 litres. And if I do it again I'll go for 3.

I have to admit, many times I feel like letting myself go, eating whatever, not exercising, etc, when I do the effects are immediate.

If you want to know how long you're probably going to live,

how long your mother or father lived, and their parents,

will be a fair indicator how long you'll might live, negative life styles not with standing.

Genetics play a big part,  but I admit sometimes you just have to treat yourself,

There's existing and there's living.

• Like 1

If you are already in your 60s where bother giving up the things you like. By 75 you will either be dead or senile in a care home. I can't see the point in giving up your last few pleasures while in God's Waiting Room.  In your 30s, 40s etc then of course it is sensible to watch your weight, diet, and exercise.

18 hours ago, Henryford said:

If you are already in your 60s where bother giving up the things you like. By 75 you will either be dead or senile in a care home. I can't see the point in giving up your last few pleasures while in God's Waiting Room.  In your 30s, 40s etc then of course it is sensible to watch your weight, diet, and exercise.

If one has diabetes and doesn't give up the sugary food one likes, one is going to end up possibly blind and without bits like feet or legs which are not the best outcomes. IMO senility would be better than knowing one was living a horrid life.

• Like 1

[quote]

If you are already in your 60s where bother giving up the things you like. By 75 you will either be dead or senile in a care home

[/quote]

Speak for yourself ????  Unless there's some genetic issue in your family history that causes you to die 'young', there's no reason why you can't stay healthy and fit (physically and mentally) well into your nineties.

I don't intend to give up the things I like, which are healthy salads and walking/jogging 5km a day...as well as exercising my brain.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

[quote]

If you are already in your 60s where bother giving up the things you like. By 75 you will either be dead or senile in a care home

[/quote]

Speak for yourself ????  Unless there's some genetic issue in your family history that causes you to die 'young', there's no reason why you can't stay healthy and fit (physically and mentally) well into your nineties.

I don't intend to give up the things I like, which are healthy salads and walking/jogging 5km a day...as well as exercising my brain.  

No my father didn't did young, he was 90 when he died, which sounds good, but he spent the last 10+ years in a care home ga ga.

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

don't intend to give up the things I like, which are healthy salads and walking/jogging 5km a day...as well as exercising my brain. 

All my immediate family were dead by age 65 (cancer), the few aunts/uncles that made it longer had dementia and died in care homes. At age 65 I've beat them all for quality of life, but I don't expect to make 70, and I'm OK with that.

I'm currently on the slippery slope down to death, but I still manage to walk 8Km/day, did 4.5km before breakfast this morning, don't consider it a big deal.

Edited by BritManToo

On 3/25/2021 at 12:34 PM, Henryford said:

Gotta love Social Darwinism.  Or with @simon43 learn to enjoy new healthier pleasures and do well into your 90s.

buggerdiet900.jpg.73c3b434972678488dc0d043de4c298f.jpg

On 3/27/2021 at 5:57 PM, BigStar said:

Gotta love Social Darwinism.  Or with @simon43 learn to enjoy new healthier pleasures and do well into your 90s.

buggerdiet900.jpg.73c3b434972678488dc0d043de4c298f.jpg

Only someone that likes his life would say that, IMO.

Unless I win large on lotto so I can return to LOS and pretty girls that will associate with me I have no wish to live past 80.