Throwing caution to the wind and b u g g e r the diet – How about you .

On 3/29/2021 at 8:03 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Only someone that likes his life would say that, IMO.

Unless I win large on lotto so I can return to LOS and pretty girls that will associate with me I have no wish to live past 80.

You're right. I can't imagine such a puerile, delusory, utterly vacuous reason to live: the critical need to pay pretty but poor girls to degrade themselves by pretending I'm somebody with whom they'd want to associate. If I did, then I'd see if a psychiatrist couldn't tighten some of my loose screws and raise my self-esteem. 

Setting an unattainable goal merely forms yet another little excuse among the many we've seen in this thread to adopt a comforting fatalism to go with their strawberry milkshakes rather than do any real work. Lottery.

11 hours ago, BigStar said:

You're right. I can't imagine such a puerile, delusory, utterly vacuous reason to live: the critical need to pay pretty but poor girls to degrade themselves by pretending I'm somebody with whom they'd want to associate. If I did, then I'd see if a psychiatrist couldn't tighten some of my loose screws and raise my self-esteem. 

A rather odd attitude if I may say so,

My 22 year old step-daughter seems quite happy to spend time with me, we walk, talk and go swimming together. Sure I've paid for her education (finished now), but we listen to the same music, watch the same movies, enjoy a day at the lake eating, live in the same home, why wouldn't she want to associate with me?

I've been expecting her to meet some guy and move in with him for the past 5-6 years, but she shows no interest in mixing with any other men.

As for diet,

Chilli over a baked potato and a wine cooler for breakfast after a 4Km stroll.

Edited by BritManToo

On 3/31/2021 at 4:39 AM, BigStar said:

Setting an unattainable goal merely forms yet another little excuse among the many we've seen in this thread to adopt a comforting fatalism to go with their strawberry milkshakes rather than do any real work. Lottery.

Only someone not interested in women as sexual partners would write such a silly post, IN MY OPINION.

On 3/31/2021 at 10:25 AM, BritManToo said:

A rather odd attitude if I may say so,

My 22 year old step-daughter seems quite happy to spend time with me, we walk, talk and go swimming together. Sure I've paid for her education (finished now), but we listen to the same music, watch the same movies, enjoy a day at the lake eating, live in the same home, why wouldn't she want to associate with me?

I've been expecting her to meet some guy and move in with him for the past 5-6 years, but she shows no interest in mixing with any other men.

A rather odd attitude for her, perhaps, as you concede you've had the normal expectation for the last 5-6 years that she would “meet some guy and move in with him.” But you also admit you’ve paid for her education. Is she living in the home you're paying for? Other support?

Left to herself, alone, or with her friends, would she really enjoy the same movies and music, much? Is she also quite happy to spend time with other men your age, listen to the same music with them, etc.? If so, maybe she’d enjoy associating with (cough) @thaibeachlovers, who, sadly, may otherwise depart betimes. He doesn’t seem to have in mind stepdaughters or daughters.

Or is she just associating with you mostly out of some feeling of long familial association, obligation, and expectation of future benefit? Friend o’ mine’s daughters, who also can’t find jobs or boyfriends, similarly play him like a fiddle.

Nor would you expect other unrelated pretty girls of her age, of dissimilar backgrounds, to wish to associate with you and listen to irrelevant blather and horrid music, watch boring movies, and suffer a day at the lake eating with you—that is, free of expectation of reward. And then if you couldn’t find any you might pay to do so, you’d lose the will to live? That’s normal? You’ve quite consciously missed the point. Finally, though you may be having sex with your stepdaughter a la Woody Allen, again most would also find that rather unusual. Would it be normal for you to lose the will to live if you couldn’t pay your stepdaughter or girls her age for sex? And that would be normal?

It’s always amusing when some besotted old fart comes on the forum chortling how wonderfully compatible he and his paid young Thai live-in are together, offering up the fatuous claim that “neither takes any notice of the age difference.”    

The vast majority of the world’s repulsive old frogs live happily enough without losing the will to live if they can’t pay pretty but poor, uneducated girls to prostitute themselves and pretend they want to associate with repulsive old frogs.

Edited by BigStar

On 4/1/2021 at 8:24 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Only someone not interested in women as sexual partners would write such a silly post, IN MY OPINION.

But merely another deluded, self-serving, illogical OPINION, hence irrelevant. Again, even the vast majority of the world’s repulsive old frogs live happily enough, and usually with women as sexual partners, without losing the will to live if they can’t pay pretty but poor, uneducated girls to degrade themselves through prostitution and the pretense they want to associate with said repulsive old frogs.

We seem ever in search of an imagined cheap quick fix here for the symptoms of self-inflicted problems rather than merely prevent them in the first instance or make the effort to address their root causes.

In fact, easily refuted solipsistic opinions are evidently all you have to offer here. I’ve waited in vain for you to come up with any logical points in the thread based on evidence and backed up by any science, @thaibeachlovers. You did better years ago before the application of your opinions finally forced a return home to greater misery. I mean, at least the old Pattaya Pavement Whinges had some small grounding in objective reality. Though inspired by your own bad knees (poor dietary practices and conditions resulting therefrom a major cause of gout) made worse by their having to bear excess weight, the Whinges weren’t just unadulterated blather as you’ve offered up here: Pattaya pavements are in fact somewhat broken and irregular in places.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BigStar said:

A rather odd attitude for her, perhaps, as you concede you've had the normal expectation for the last 5-6 years that she would “meet some guy and move in with him.” But you also admit you’ve paid for her education. Is she living in the home you're paying for? Other support?

Left to herself, alone, or with her friends, would she really enjoy the same movies and music, much? Is she also quite happy to spend time with other men your age, listen to the same music with them, etc.? If so, maybe she’d enjoy associating with (cough) @thaibeachlovers, who, sadly, may otherwise depart betimes. He doesn’t seem to have in mind stepdaughters or daughters.

Or is she just associating with you mostly out of some feeling of long familial association, obligation, and expectation of future benefit? Friend o’ mine’s daughters, who also can’t find jobs or boyfriends, similarly play him like a fiddle.

Nor would you expect other unrelated pretty girls of her age, of dissimilar backgrounds, to wish to associate with you and listen to irrelevant blather and horrid music, watch boring movies, and suffer a day at the lake eating with you—that is, free of expectation of reward. And then if you couldn’t find any you might pay to do so, you’d lose the will to live? That’s normal? You’ve quite consciously missed the point. Finally, though you may be having sex with your stepdaughter a la Woody Allen, again most would also find that rather unusual. Would it be normal for you to lose the will to live if you couldn’t pay your stepdaughter or girls her age for sex? And that would be normal?

It’s always amusing when some besotted old fart comes on the forum chortling how wonderfully compatible he and his paid young Thai live-in are together, offering up the fatuous claim that “neither takes any notice of the age difference.”    

The vast majority of the world’s repulsive old frogs live happily enough without losing the will to live if they can’t pay pretty but poor, uneducated girls to prostitute themselves and pretend they want to associate with repulsive old frogs.

Like I said I like your posts because, though I don't concur with everything you say, you go there

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

On 3/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I am saying throwing in an ice cream here and there is not likely to be a killer or lead to a significant threat. I have just said discipline and a healthy diet, with a bit of pleasure seeking without calorie counting thrown in, can work together and doesn't have to be a death knell or mean long periods in a hospital.

Problem here is that you’ve discounted the cumulative and combined effects of eating not only of eating this ONE type of high glycemic food but of all the others “here and there” too, over an extended period of time. As I noted, those effects have been shown to start in adolescence and diabetes may remain asymptomatic for years.

image.png.d7255bfa4ad058c5b65a7e088707ec38.png

And as is typical here you carefully ignore the question of “how do you know, exactly?” and just assert on your own authority ‘cause it feels good. Let’s see the HbA1c levels and the calcium scan. WOT? Part of the head-in-the-sand mentality is to avoid those tests; and certainly, to maintain the narrative, not reveal the results here, heh. None of our B u g g e r e r s seems to want to reveal his numbers and meds. Why’s that?

Nor does exaggeration make your point. A diagnosis of metabolic syndrome isn’t a death knell. However, rationally speaking, it’s a significant threat to one’s health, and so is best avoided.

Your next argument seems to say you better not enjoy any less healthy food on the basis that you are in good shape now because you may not be and the ice cream might tip you over the edge. It is possible but not statistically and scientifically  likely.

Same rebuttal as above. Phrases like “death knell” and “over the edge” reveal a complete naïveté about the process. As ice creams or shakes or Mars bars or whatever, in a long series of many such foods, “here and there,” stretching back decades, set you up, you can’t predict when the first alarm will be raised via the glucose test.

Despite your own authority on the matter, statistically and scientifically the negative cumulative and combination effects are quite likely and so now testing is being recommended to start in adolescence—to recall but one of the references I gave you. As another reference shows, people may have no idea for years. Now metabolic syndrome is affecting the majority of the population in the States. That proves the likelihood.

I enjoy some sweet and calorific foods. Possibly you do not so it is not an issue for you.

Of course you do. ????

Being unaware of your own issue doesn’t actually mean it’s not an issue, however. Ignorance is bliss, eh. Many, almost certainly including yourself, haven’t done serious testing. I’d suggest everyone do that before they follow your authoritative opinion and then repeat the testing periodically. Again, let’s see the  HbA1c levels over time. Let's see the coronary calcium score. Now our B u g g e r e r s are all in your corner, but again the questions ignored are, why is it so important? Should it be? Wouldn’t it likely be better to lose all desire for such and learn to enjoy healthier foods exclusively? And what if there were a way to do that?

I can only talk for myself. I have an approach that works for me. Sugar for some may be like heroin. For others, who exercise regularly and have some self discipline, it is not. 

No, you claim to talk for others also, including Euell Gibbons, and offer up simple-minded solipsistic opinions as general principles for those who "exercise regularly" (what exercise? how regularly? over what period of time? evidence?) and "have self discipline" (how much? to do what exactly, when, how often, over what period of time, evidence?) .  Fact is, you actually have no idea how well, exactly, it’s working for you. Feeling good at the moment and doing a bit of exercise means nothing. Why don’t you find out for sure?

I did not say Euell Gibbons said he would live forever. They were comments on two different people. Go back and see what I said. I acknowledge that Maher could be deemed to have taken a cheap shot but in my opinion his point had some merit. As I had said he cut corners.

I didn’t say that you did. Maher did, as part of an absurd, pernicious attack. After I reminded you of Maher’s lie, I then pointed out that, far from disagreeing, you even extended his attack by making up some nonsense of your own:

I think it is fair to point out that being serious about diet or fitness to the degree of searching out wild plants to eat,

Again, searching out wild plants for the sake of diet or fitness--health--had nothing whatsoever to do with Gibbons' motivation for writing his books.

Mr Gibbons advocated eating wild plants -I don't think it was just to outdoorsman but to the general populace .

Maher is so pernicious. Why always merely "think" instead of finding out? I didn’t say ONLY outdoorsman. He didn’t exactly “advocate” but “informed” in an interesting way of their availability, nutrition, and preparation. Moreover, he hardly suggested eating them exclusively. After all, he even promoted Grape-Nuts cereal. He did advocate for healthy eating generally.

The general populace, mostly living in cities, haven’t the slightest interest in finding and eating wild plants; there aren’t a lot of edibles growing in the pavement cracks.

Gibbons, broke, was interested in generating some income through writing. A literary agent suggested he might find a market among members of the growing back-to-nature movement, for factual stuff about edible wild plants. He knew something about the subject from an impoverished childhood, not mysticism. Who was in that movement? People who went out and spent time in nature where they had access to wild plants: Campers, hikers, outdoorsman, hobbyists, etc. as I said. He appeals specifically to THAT target market in the intro to the book Maher references:

Why bother with wild foods in a country which produces a surplus of many domestic food products? With as much reason, one might ask, why go fishing for mountain trout when codfish fillets are for sale in any supermarket? Or why bother with hunting-and-game cookery when unlimited quantities of fine meat can be purchased at any butcher counter? Why do millions of Americans desert their comfortable and convenient apartments and split-level houses for a time each year to go camping under comparatively primitive conditions in our forests and national parks? For that matter, why does anyone go for a walk on a woodland trail when one could be speeding along a superhighway in a high-powered automobile? . . .

The outdoor skills, necessary to the survival of our ancestors, are now utilized in the service of recreation. In recent years there has been a great renewal of interest in hunting, fishing and camping. . . . A knowledge of wild food gathering can contribute greatly to our enjoyment of this back-to-nature movement. It can add new meaning to every camping trip, to every hike or even to a Sunday drive in the country. . . .

Another point in favor of foraging as a family hobby is the handiness with which it can be practiced. . . . Children, especially, are intrigued with the idea of garnering their food from the fields and byways.

He says that he himself is merely a “hobbyist.” Incidentally, he noted the advantages of “saving on grocery bills” and merely enjoying some new tastes, for foodies.

“Economy, food, fun, and healthy activity”—that’s IT.  

If you’re out in nature anyway, perhaps with the family & kids, then looking around for edible plants, preparing them for dinner, bringing them home and trying them out is something interesting, different, and fun to do. Most people, after all, pick wild blackberries if they run across them. It was after Euell that organic and wild foods made big inroads into urban supermarkets.

Please quit distorting Euell Gibbons, whom you haven’t read and about whom you know absolutely nothing, and do offer up more than salads (following the OP) as the only healthy alternative to ice cream, shakes, burgers, and fries.

48 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Dunno, I'm sexually fixated on women in their early 30s.

I don't expect my step-daughter to spend any time with me at all, and I cut her off from all cash handouts last month.

I'm hoping she'll find a guy to provide for her in the very near future.

As for my 'will to live' that disappeared 13 years ago when my Brit wife divorced me, i've been hoping for death ever since, although my religion prohibits me acting on that feeling.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Problem here is that you’ve discounted the cumulative and combined effects of eating not only of eating this ONE type of high glycemic food but of all the others “here and there” too, over an extended period of time. As I noted, those effects have been shown to start in adolescence and diabetes may remain asymptomatic for years.

image.png.d7255bfa4ad058c5b65a7e088707ec38.png

And as is typical here you carefully ignore the question of “how do you know, exactly?” and just assert on your own authority ‘cause it feels good. Let’s see the HbA1c levels and the calcium scan. WOT? Part of the head-in-the-sand mentality is to avoid those tests; and certainly, to maintain the narrative, not reveal the results here, heh. None of our B u g g e r e r s seems to want to reveal his numbers and meds. Why’s that?

Nor does exaggeration make your point. A diagnosis of metabolic syndrome isn’t a death knell. However, rationally speaking, it’s a significant threat to one’s health, and so is best avoided.

Same rebuttal as above. Phrases like “death knell” and “over the edge” reveal a complete naïveté about the process. As ice creams or shakes or Mars bars or whatever, in a long series of many such foods, “here and there,” stretching back decades, set you up, you can’t predict when the first alarm will be raised via the glucose test.

Despite your own authority on the matter, statistically and scientifically the negative cumulative and combination effects are quite likely and so now testing is being recommended to start in adolescence—to recall but one of the references I gave you. As another reference shows, people may have no idea for years. Now metabolic syndrome is affecting the majority of the population in the States. That proves the likelihood.

I enjoy some sweet and calorific foods. Possibly you do not so it is not an issue for you.

Of course you do. ????

Being unaware of your own issue doesn’t actually mean it’s not an issue, however. Ignorance is bliss, eh. Many, almost certainly including yourself, haven’t done serious testing. I’d suggest everyone do that before they follow your authoritative opinion and then repeat the testing periodically. Again, let’s see the  HbA1c levels over time. Let's see the coronary calcium score. Now our B u g g e r e r s are all in your corner, but again the questions ignored are, why is it so important? Should it be? Wouldn’t it likely be better to lose all desire for such and learn to enjoy healthier foods exclusively? And what if there were a way to do that?

I can only talk for myself. I have an approach that works for me. Sugar for some may be like heroin. For others, who exercise regularly and have some self discipline, it is not. 

No, you claim to talk for others also, including Euell Gibbons, and offer up simple-minded solipsistic opinions as general principles for those who "exercise regularly" (what exercise? how regularly? over what period of time? evidence?) and "have self discipline" (how much? to do what exactly, when, how often, over what period of time, evidence?) .  Fact is, you actually have no idea how well, exactly, it’s working for you. Feeling good at the moment and doing a bit of exercise means nothing. Why don’t you find out for sure?

The response I would give is in the title. You could be right that the cumulative effect gets me in the end but there is a point where caution becomes prohibitive to a normal life. I have had a range of tests and despite probably eating too much chocolate things are good at this point. I just don't believe the extreme works for me and the constant thinking about the effects of my actions would have more deleterious effects than the actions themselves. 

I feel that common sense, i.e regular exercise and a fairly good diet, and how you feel each day, provide a reasonable guide, as long as you check with the doctor from time to time. As long as you are honest with yourself about your weight and how you feel, and take action as such, that's not a bad outcome. 

10 minutes ago, BigStar said:

I didn’t say that you did. Maher did, as part of an absurd, pernicious attack. After I reminded you of Maher’s lie, I then pointed out that, far from disagreeing, you even extended his attack by making up some nonsense of your own:

I think it is fair to point out that being serious about diet or fitness to the degree of searching out wild plants to eat,

Again, searching out wild plants for the sake of diet or fitness--health--had nothing whatsoever to do with Gibbons' motivation for writing his books.

Maher is so pernicious. Why always merely "think" instead of finding out? I didn’t say ONLY outdoorsman. He didn’t exactly “advocate” but “informed” in an interesting way of their availability, nutrition, and preparation. Moreover, he hardly suggested eating them exclusively. After all, he even promoted Grape-Nuts cereal. He did advocate for healthy eating generally.

The general populace, mostly living in cities, haven’t the slightest interest in finding and eating wild plants; there aren’t a lot of edibles growing in the pavement cracks.

Gibbons, broke, was interested in generating some income through writing. A literary agent suggested he might find a market among members of the growing back-to-nature movement, for factual stuff about edible wild plants. He knew something about the subject from an impoverished childhood, not mysticism. Who was in that movement? People who went out and spent time in nature where they had access to wild plants: Campers, hikers, outdoorsman, hobbyists, etc. as I said. He appeals specifically to THAT target market in the intro to the book Maher references:

Why bother with wild foods in a country which produces a surplus of many domestic food products? With as much reason, one might ask, why go fishing for mountain trout when codfish fillets are for sale in any supermarket? Or why bother with hunting-and-game cookery when unlimited quantities of fine meat can be purchased at any butcher counter? Why do millions of Americans desert their comfortable and convenient apartments and split-level houses for a time each year to go camping under comparatively primitive conditions in our forests and national parks? For that matter, why does anyone go for a walk on a woodland trail when one could be speeding along a superhighway in a high-powered automobile? . . .

The outdoor skills, necessary to the survival of our ancestors, are now utilized in the service of recreation. In recent years there has been a great renewal of interest in hunting, fishing and camping. . . . A knowledge of wild food gathering can contribute greatly to our enjoyment of this back-to-nature movement. It can add new meaning to every camping trip, to every hike or even to a Sunday drive in the country. . . .

Another point in favor of foraging as a family hobby is the handiness with which it can be practiced. . . . Children, especially, are intrigued with the idea of garnering their food from the fields and byways.

He says that he himself is merely a “hobbyist.” Incidentally, he noted the advantages of “saving on grocery bills” and merely enjoying some new tastes, for foodies.

“Economy, food, fun, and healthy activity”—that’s IT.  

If you’re out in nature anyway, perhaps with the family & kids, then looking around for edible plants, preparing them for dinner, bringing them home and trying them out is something interesting, different, and fun to do. Most people, after all, pick wild blackberries if they run across them. It was after Euell that organic and wild foods made big inroads into urban supermarkets.

Please quit distorting Euell Gibbons, whom you haven’t read and about whom you know absolutely nothing, and do offer up more than salads (following the OP) as the only healthy alternative to ice cream, shakes, burgers, and fries.

I could go point by point but the overall point is that I think you read peoples posts a little too literally and specifically sometimes. It results in interesting posts but sometimes I feel misses a bigger point.

Some of the specifics above are probably fair enough - you clearly know Gibbons better than I do and for the third time I'll acknowledge Maher may have taken a cheap shot. But to say that Gibbons cared about nutrition in plants, but that my point that diet was a factor in his actions was invalid, is an example of thinking too much. Just like your opinions on the evils of a few sweeties as a treat. 

You seem to feel generalisations are not fair, yet you have particularly harsh words for Maher, using terms like so pernicious and other comments,  while noting that you don't know his work and choose not to find out more. At least I googled Gibbons - your harsh words for Maher are apparently based on a one minute video. No quarter given - end of. 

Eat an ice cream. It won't kill you. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

Eat an ice cream. It won't kill you. 

Think again.......

Peggy Pettis died in June 2018........ Her husband, David Pettis, is believed by Washington detectives to have laced his wife's ice cream.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I don't expect my step-daughter to spend any time with me at all, and I cut her off from all cash handouts last month.

As for my 'will to live' that disappeared 13 years ago when my Brit wife divorced me, i've been hoping for death ever since, although my religion prohibits me acting on that feeling.

I hope you're being melodramatic. Sounds like you've got a good life up there with the family and the bike rides and exercise. I could live without the wine coolers. Maybe your wife did you a favour - otherwise you might be sitting in the UK right now in an unhappy marriage  dreaming of greener pastures in Thailand..

On 4/6/2021 at 6:49 PM, BritManToo said:

It's obvious to me what he was trying to say, without putting it in such a way as to get deleted, but apparently for some posters, any man associating with a young woman is only trying to have it off with them- no other motivation is acceptable to those with minds in the gutter.

He also thinks that us old guys should be happy to have a relationship with women that look like granny, when in LOS we old guys are lucky enough to be able to find a women to sleep with that is nice to wake up next to in the morning. He makes much of the payment angle as well, when most of us know that we always end up paying anyway.

I was married to a woman young enough to be my daughter ( 30s ), and as long as the money tree was there was happy enough to go to movies with me and generally do things married people do, but when the money ran low ( but not ended ) decided she didn't like me any more. I think that is a common tale in western countries also, though the age difference is probably only a few years at most. A 50% divorce rate does not give one confidence in marriage as a viable institution for a modern age.

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2021 at 12:20 AM, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I hope you're being melodramatic. Sounds like you've got a good life up there with the family and the bike rides and exercise. I could live without the wine coolers. Maybe your wife did you a favour - otherwise you might be sitting in the UK right now in an unhappy marriage  dreaming of greener pastures in Thailand..

Nothing melodramatic about it. My life ended when my marriage ended and my dream of living in LOS ended with it. Now I just exist till it ( mercifully ) ends. All I hope is that it's sudden, quick and before I get consigned to some ghastly rest home.

No, his wife did not do him a favour. If she'd been a good wife he'd not have needed to look overseas for a better life.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Thanks 1

On 4/6/2021 at 5:56 PM, BigStar said:

In fact, easily refuted solipsistic opinions are evidently all you have to offer here. I’ve waited in vain for you to come up with any logical points in the thread based on evidence and backed up by any science, @thaibeachlovers.

Everything I write IS an opinion. As for waiting in vain, I never asked you to and that's down to you. Some might even say that knowing me as well as you apparently do ( you even claim to know that I'm overweight ) waiting for me to come up with some scientific evidence is a strange thing to do. You made the comment about me a few posts ago that I might do well using the services of a psychiatrist, but perhaps that could equally be applied to yourself.

On 3/31/2021 at 4:39 AM, BigStar said:

I'd see if a psychiatrist couldn't tighten some of my loose screws

Have a nice day.

On 3/7/2021 at 10:26 AM, Pilotman said:

Totally unrealistic. Monitoring your own body is the best way to avoid doing damage and moderation in all things. or to recover when damage has been done. 'Intensive medical check-ups' ( whatever 'intensive' means in this context) is bordering on hypochondriac thinking, unless you have a diagnosed pre existing condition that requires them. Too many people on TVF seem to be fixated on their health and what may happen, rather than how they feel and what is actually happening to them.  They need to chill and enjoy life instead of spending time worrying about what may well be nothing at all, maybe just a natural aging process. By all means investigate actual problems and conditions, but stop worrying about things that aren't there. 

If you don't get regularly checked how do you know what is there?

I have a friend here who is slim, exercised regularly, seems very healthy and then at 34 had a heart attack.  Actually it was very interesting because I thought heart attacks were sudden but his had been going for a few days before he felt so weak he went to the hospital and they told him he was having one.

Another older friend missed his annual check up last year because of covid but at his checkup this year has tested positive for prostate cancer.  Would have been nice if he'd caught that last year or at least seen some warning signs last year.

There is nothing unrealistic about going for a full battery of tests each year.  There are lots of things they can catch early.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, seancbk said:

If you don't get regularly checked how do you know what is there?

I have a friend here who is slim, exercised regularly, seems very healthy and then at 34 had a heart attack.  Actually it was very interesting because I thought heart attacks were sudden but his had been going for a few days before he felt so weak he went to the hospital and they told him he was having one.

Another older friend missed his annual check up last year because of covid but at his checkup this year has tested positive for prostate cancer.  Would have been nice if he'd caught that last year or at least seen some warning signs last year.

There is nothing unrealistic about going for a full battery of tests each year.  There are lots of things they can catch early.  

Only for those than can go private and pay large.

My GP has yet to do anything about the symptoms I present with, and unless I paid for a double session I am unable to even discuss all that ails me. I'm assuming that the only way I'll get taken seriously is when I have to be taken by ambulance to the hospital.