Opening Bank Account in Nonthaburi, Are there ATM fees in Bangkok & Swampy? Can I open a bank account in a different province?

Hello, all.

I am planning to open a bank account in Nonthaburi.

I know that if I open an account in Nonthaburi, there would be a fee when I use ATM in another province (i.e. Phuket, Chonburi, etc...)

However, I googled Thai bank websites, and found a very vague information stating, "Bangkok Metropolitan Area (Bangkok and Nearby provinces) is considered as a same clearing zone"

Q1) Does that mean, if I open my bank account anywhere in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, or Samut Prakan, I can use ATM without a fee within a Bangkok metropolitan area? (i.e. If I opened my bank account in Nonthaburi, can I use an ATM without a fee in Swampy (located in Samut Prakan)?)

Q2) What about cheque clearing zone? Are Bangkok, Nonthaburi, and Samut Prakan considered as same province (or zone) when it comes to cheque clearing fees?

Q3) If I live in Nonthaburi, can I still open a bank account in another province? (like Bangkok, or even in Phuket)

Your answer would be very much appreciated.

1) Pick a debit card (bank) without such fees. Or withdraw money cardless through their mobile banking app (Afaik all banks don't charge fees if you do a cardless withdrawel)

2) No idea, never used a cheque, but they probably charge fees

3) Yes

• Like 1

1. I have seen a list. I believe that all adjacent provinces are included in "Bangkok" for ATM charge purposes. I used to work in Nonthaburi while living in Bangkok. I never paid out of province fees in either place.

2. The Bank of Thailand has four cheque clearing centres, in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Hat Yai.

3. On at least one occasion, I have opened an account in a province where I did not reside. they are usually more concerned with establishing the fact that you reside here.  Exactly where you reside doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your kind answers! 

22 minutes ago, allane said:

1. I have seen a list. I believe that all adjacent provinces are included in "Bangkok" for ATM charge purposes. I used to work in Nonthaburi while living in Bangkok. I never paid out of province fees in either place.

2. The Bank of Thailand has four cheque clearing centres, in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen and Hat Yai.

3. On at least one occasion, I have opened an account in a province where I did not reside. they are usually more concerned with establishing the fact that you reside here.  Exactly where you reside doesn't matter.

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

1) Pick a debit card (bank) without such fees. Or withdraw money cardless through their mobile banking app (Afaik all banks don't charge fees if you do a cardless withdrawel)

2) No idea, never used a cheque, but they probably charge fees

3) Yes

I live in Nonthaburi and can confirm there are no fees for withdrawing cash from any ATM within the 'Bangkok Metropolitan Area'. 

I would imagine the same would apply for any cheque clearing within the same  'Bangkok Metropolitan Area'. 

When you open an account the bank will need some documentation to confirm your address. I would therefore assume that they would prefer an address within the same province, but some banks / branches might be more flexible on this. All my accounts are within the same province where I live.

• Thanks 1

Wow! Thank you so much for giving me an amazing answer! I was looking for someone who has the experience, and now, I finally could hear the confirmation. Thanks again!

@Hotrats

I live in Nonthaburi and can confirm there are no fees for withdrawing cash from any ATM within the 'Bangkok Metropolitan Area'. 

I would imagine the same would apply for any cheque clearing within the same  'Bangkok Metropolitan Area'. 

When you open an account the bank will need some documentation to confirm your address. I would therefore assume that they would prefer an address within the same province, but some banks / branches might be more flexible on this. All my accounts are within the same province where I live.

Edited by Zacuzzi

1 hour ago, Hotrats said:

Edited by Zacuzzi

I have a Krungsri "ALL ATM" debit card. ( Also known as Bank of Ayudhya or Yellow Bank  )

No ATM fee any bank any branch in  Thailand.

I have read that TMB have a similar no ATM fee debit card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cnx355 said:

I have a Krungsri "ALL ATM" debit card. ( Also known as Bank of Ayudhya or Yellow Bank  )

No ATM fee any bank any branch in  Thailand.

I have read that TMB have a similar no ATM fee debit card.

This is amazing and very helpful information. (Wow, I didn't know that Krungsri & TMB have such a debit card.)

Thanks a lot!

6 hours ago, Zacuzzi said:

This is amazing and very helpful information. (Wow, I didn't know that Krungsri & TMB have such a debit card.)

Thanks a lot!

Keep in mind such cards which provide free withdrawals usually come with other conditions which in a round about way make up for the ATM fees such as possibly requiring a monthly SMS service fee (like the Krungsri All Free Debit card) that you may not want or the saving acct its link to will not pay interest/lower interest (I'm not sure but I think the TMB card is that way).      Be sure to read the fine print in selecting a debit card as it may generate other banking fees/lower savings acct interest....banksters bear close watching with their slight of hand.

image.png.87bebe46c477b963257e574b2cec65ef.png

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2021 at 8:10 AM, BritManToo said:

I have the TMB card, no ATM fees in any machine in any province.

You might want to check with your bank. I had an “any atm anywhere” card with Krungsri. I didn’t know they’d changed the rules until I was charged a fee in Hua Hin. They don’t even tell you on the ATM that you’ll be charged. Now I always go cardless, even in Bangkok and when this card expires I won’t replace it.

On 3/6/2021 at 8:01 AM, jackdd said:

Or withdraw money cardless through their mobile banking app (Afaik all banks don't charge fees if you do a cardless withdrawel)

Can confirm this for Bangkok Bank.

Tried today in Pattaya, account in KK.

No fee.

Interesting observation: it took a couple of minutes for the balance to be updated on the banking app.

Mail notification is sent.