22 Karen villagers remanded in custody after eviction from Kaeng Krachan national park

rooster59

22 Karen villagers remanded in custody after eviction from Kaeng Krachan national park

Bang-Kloy-22-arrest.jpg

Photo from Facebook พชร คำชำนาญ

Twenty-two ethnic Karen villagers were remanded in custody at the Phetchaburi provincial prison after they and others were rounded up by park officials inside the Kaeng Krachan national park, for allegedly encroaching on forest land regarded as a watershed area for the Phetchaburi River.

Altogether 89 Karen were evicted from the land, called Jai Paendin, by park officials.

Mr. Prakit Wongsriwattanakul, deputy director-general of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, said today that some of the alleged encroachers are villagers from Ban Bang Kloy, also in the national park.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/22-karen-villagers-remanded-in-custody-after-eviction-from-kaeng-krachan-national-park/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-03-06

• Like 1

Reading the article they tolerate the karen living in the national park, but do not tolerate them destroying new areas. Slash and burn of what remains of the national forests should never be permitted in the 21st century by anyone no matter how rich or how poor they are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canopy said:

Reading the article they tolerate the karen living in the national park, but do not tolerate them destroying new areas. Slash and burn of what remains of the national forests should never be permitted in the 21st century by anyone no matter how rich or how poor they are.

Rotation is not slash and burn, but try to explain that to a government official with probably two working brain cells.

19 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Rotation is not slash and burn

This is not rotation. Karen are flocking to new areas of the forest and carving out new lands to farm because they feel it is their god given right to take whatever they please. The forests need protection from everyone no matter their walk of life.

22 hours ago, canopy said:

This is not rotation. Karen are flocking to new areas of the forest and carving out new lands to farm because they feel it is their god given right to take whatever they please. The forests need protection from everyone no matter their walk of life.

You know the difference I hope. Karens can live very well in harmony with the forest, they can take care of it much better than the forestry department, that is  more commercial orientated. Your last sentence is spot on, look what is happening in the Amazon and Indonesia also over there indigenous people suffer because of the greed of the authorities who allow destruction by big companies.

59 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Karens can live very well in harmony with the forest

Having lived among several types of hilltribes for over a decade in Thailand I cannot in good conscious support this statement. Don't get me wrong they are nice people and I have friends among them. But hilltribes hunt, burn, and destroy every bit of wildlife they can get their hands on and their farming practices are as chemical and poison laden as anyone else's. Count Thai's here too, but just no poor people go into the forest to appreciate the beauty, they always go to take and destroy and I see it every day. There is no concept of conservation. They will kill the last thing and when it's gone, they won't care. They light careless fires that ravage untold forests and pollutes the sky and no one cares. They aren't doing any of this because they are starving to death. They are just poor people taking land, game, just anything they can because it's there. It was a cold dose of reality that in real life hill tribes aren't the meek people caring for the earth I was taught. Nothing is further from the truth I am afraid.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, canopy said:

Having lived among several types of hilltribes for over a decade in Thailand I cannot in good conscious support this statement. Don't get me wrong they are nice people and I have friends among them. But hilltribes hunt, burn, and destroy every bit of wildlife they can get their hands on and their farming practices are as chemical and poison laden as anyone else's. Count Thai's here too, but just no poor people go into the forest to appreciate the beauty, they always go to take and destroy and I see it every day. There is no concept of conservation. They will kill the last thing and when it's gone, they won't care. They light careless fires that ravage untold forests and pollutes the sky and no one cares. They aren't doing any of this because they are starving to death. They are just poor people taking land, game, just anything they can because it's there. It was a cold dose of reality that in real life hill tribes aren't the meek people caring for the earth I was taught. Nothing is further from the truth I am afraid.

Yes you are correct, they have changed a lot over the last 30 or so years, mostly because  the Thai government officials forced them to be more Thai and introduced them to a lot of <deleted> and harmful chemicals. I remember that until a couple years ago even the Royal project had mainly chemical based agriculture. Took years to switch back to a more organic approach. Many Karens around Mae Sariang, Sob Moei and Mae Sam Laeb, I lived in that area 25+ years ago.