Bangkok: Drunk uni lecturer in a Benz mows down engineer on Rachada Road

rooster59

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are multiple facets involved here. 

Safety in the work place: The Engineer putting out cones was doing so without watching out for traffic and without measures in place to prevent an idiot in a car from mowing him down. The ‘company’ are partly to blame for not ensuring the safety of its workers (I know par for the course here - life is cheap). 

The primary facet with this incident is of course the nationwide attitudes towards the acceptable of drink driving. 

Law enforcement regarding this issue is a complete farce and purely reactive. Beyond the law enforcement issue is the social acceptance of someone getting drunk and driving.

Friends and peers will have known this lady is getting in her car and mentioned nothing, no social judgement or pressure not to put the lives of innocent road users (pedestrians) at risk. 

We all write this off as ‘This is Thailand’... it is unfortunate that while Thailand is a fantastic place, in aggregate it is so heavily marred with a total and utter reluctance to accept responsibility for anything, this facet of the Thai mindset is prevalent through all socio-demographics of Thai society and is the primary contributing factor to unnecessary innocent deaths. 

A tragic shame that this cause and effect is so obvious yet so many are willing to take notice. 

Very well written, I wish i could write as well,...R.I.P. Engineer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

news_BkxkvkoYIO064707_533.jpg.b696f0e0945f788db668bf5f698fd02f.jpg

Not having her windscreen blacked out might have helped her in seeing him.

To do this is obviously quite stupid, but does Thailand even have a law against it?

Yes it does. But well, you know........ It also has a law against not wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle, a law against riding in the back of a pickup, a law against driving on the sidewalk/pavement. And so on. and so on.

5 hours ago, DualSportBiker said:

These kinds of opinions say one thing to me: you've experienced Thailand through bar-girls, motorcycle & taxi drivers, waitresses and Thai working-class families. And even if that is not true, it's the narrow viewpoint you chose to opine from. It's also trying to make yourself feel better about your situation. 'Poor but honest' perhaps?

There are a significant number of wealthy people in Thailand - just because they won't talk to you/your type, does not mean that every young woman with an expensive car fits into your myopic view of Thailand. Pretty much every wealth family I know has a teacher/lecturer in the mix. 

I most certainly do not have a myopic view of Thailand neither do I have a narrow viewpoint (myopic) but I do however find your comments rather myopic.

Poor but honest? Far superior to rich and <deleted>

• Like 1

6 hours ago, phetphet said:

Hence the remark to the police, "Don't worry. I will take care of everything."

You are so right!  That is what the laws of this country turn into instead of applying and enforcing that is why the first thing out of her mouth " take care of everything " the police will sit both parties down she will give a Wai, and put out 300,000 baht to the worker family and case settle the police will do a photo op that they did their job. That is the problem here!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, SwampyThai said:

I most certainly do not have a myopic view of Thailand neither do I have a narrow viewpoint (myopic) but I do however find your comments rather myopic.

Poor but honest? Far superior to rich and <deleted>

You seem to be saying: poor = honest / rich = <deleted

Is that about it?

8 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Very young lecturer and already driving a Benz?

As far as I know, UNI jobs don't paid that well.

it all depends who your (her) parents are  555

Tragic.

DUI or under the influence of Narcotics.

Let's not forget the fatigued and people who fall asleep behind the wheel. 

At least we did not have to read the "F" word in the article or headline..... isn't that nice for a change. 

Drunk woman kills a man with her Car. 

Not racist and not bias. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There are multiple facets involved here. 

Safety in the work place: The Engineer putting out cones was doing so without watching out for traffic and without measures in place to prevent an idiot in a car from mowing him down. The ‘company’ are partly to blame for not ensuring the safety of its workers (I know par for the course here - life is cheap). 

The primary facet with this incident is of course the nationwide attitudes towards the acceptable of drink driving. 

Law enforcement regarding this issue is a complete farce and purely reactive. Beyond the law enforcement issue is the social acceptance of someone getting drunk and driving.

Friends and peers will have known this lady is getting in her car and mentioned nothing, no social judgement or pressure not to put the lives of innocent road users (pedestrians) at risk. 

We all write this off as ‘This is Thailand’... it is unfortunate that while Thailand is a fantastic place, in aggregate it is so heavily marred with a total and utter reluctance to accept responsibility for anything, this facet of the Thai mindset is prevalent through all socio-demographics of Thai society and is the primary contributing factor to unnecessary innocent deaths. 

A tragic shame that this cause and effect is so obvious yet so many are willing to take notice. 

I couldn't see in the story where it said the engineer putting out the cones was not watching the traffic or there were no safety measures in place to prevent a car hitting him. 

I passed by this accident yesterday night on my way back home i was on the other side of the road going the other direction . There where more police and medics then i ever saw on a scene of an accident . She or her family must have some friends in high places that came to the scene as well . 

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Bangkok: Drunk uni lecturer in a Benz mows down engineer on Rachada Road

A "somebody" runs down a "nobody?"  500 THB fine, and wai, and a flower basket.

7 hours ago, phetphet said:

Hence the remark to the police, "Don't worry. I will take care of everything."

In other words, Hi-so hubris and incredible arrogance. 
"What's the problem?  He's a nobody.  His next of kin will be happy to get 100,000 THB and that will be that."

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, b2bme said:

I couldn't see in the story where it said the engineer putting out the cones was not watching the traffic or there were no safety measures in place to prevent a car hitting him. 

Perfectly true......from experience however, road workers seem to have a very blasé approach to their own safety....if he had been watching and someone else was watching over him would he have been run over....who knows?

5 minutes ago, connda said:

And… If it gets enough ‘Thai’ media attention the guilty party spends 2 weeks in a temple… feigns heartache but is seen at a social hotspot partying…. 

Someone in a government position announces a ‘crack-down’…  additional DUI checkpoints last for a week before everything goes back to normal  the next person is obliterated by someone who is obliterated…. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, connda said:

What we need is a few more "nobodies" running over quite a few "somebodies"......then they would sit up and do something about it.

• Like 2

She can always hop on a Private Plane and join Mr. "Little" RedBull  BOSS who also does the "Hit and Run" and has enough money not to get caught and own up to his crime like a real man. 

Money in Thailand means 2 sets of Rules for Justice :(  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I passed by this accident yesterday night on my way back home i was on the other side of the road going the other direction . There where more police and medics then i ever saw on a scene of an accident . She or her family must have some friends in high places that came to the scene as well . 

It comes with driving a Benz, insurance policy

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Very young lecturer and already driving a Benz?

As far as I know, UNI jobs don't paid that well.

RE - She appeared to be drunk but told police that she wasn't and that she would take care of everything.

* Yes - her stating "I will take care of everything" most likely meaning the owner of the Merzedes and/or the person that gave it to her will take care of everything ... :thumbsup:

Edited by ttrd