Bangkok: Drunk uni lecturer in a Benz mows down engineer on Rachada Road

rooster59

1 hour ago, kentrot said:

She can always hop on a Private Plane and join Mr. "Little" RedBull  BOSS who also does the "Hit and Run" and has enough money not to get caught and own up to his crime like a real man. 

Money in Thailand means 2 sets of Rules for Justice ???? 

It wasn't a 'hit and run'.

Read the report.

Alcohol aside, does anyone feel that the general Thai style of driving being "it's fun and OK to drive as fast and as dangerously as possible" is a contributing factor to these types (or perhaps most) accidents?

It's almost hard to get outraged at the death, given that what caused it (minus the alcohol) was possibly largely the completely accepted way that people drive in Thailand.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gunderhill said:

This  brings  up a more serious  point  is the way workers  work     on the roads, often they are  just wandering all over the place, no warnings man waving a  flag if  your'e  lucky. Its  like where they close  a  carriageway there is  often very  little  to  no warning of  it. Same when they cut the grass  in the central reservations, ambling onto the fast lane with their  cutters.

Agree, they need to put more branches from trees on the ground, one doesn't work.

4 hours ago, b2bme said:

No compassion for this girl from me.

Hi, b2bme,

you didn't read what I wrote:

'... and so many compassionate comments.

You're really so cold? '

So difficult to understand?

5 hours ago, b2bme said:

I couldn't see in the story where it said the engineer putting out the cones was not watching the traffic or there were no safety measures in place to prevent a car hitting him. 

You did read that the engineer was hit by a car while putting out cones though, right ?

You think there were safety measures in place, there was a watchman, there was a ‘works lorry’ with full lighting (arrow pointing to the next lane) to protect the guy putting out cones ??????? 

Do you believe the same safety measures we would expect to see in place in the West were in place on this occasion ???

Have you ever been to Thailand ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Very young lecturer and already driving a Benz?

As far as I know, UNI jobs don't paid that well.

If it's a "well known university" as the article indicates, she'd be from a well-off family. 

When she says "I'll take care of everything", it's code for my family is connected and we will anyway pay for the dead man. 

Chinese style. I mean Thai style. 

• Like 1

I can see from the comments that lots of newbies don't know much about Thailand... 

Lecturing at the well known uni and driving a Benz should make anyone who knows Thailand immediately suspect the driver is from a wealthy family. 

You don't get these jobs without being connected. 

• Thanks 2

Condolences to his family. The driver or the vehicle should be jailed for a long time and pay massive compensation to the victims family. He wont of course but we would not expect it with the way justice is handed out.

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

Not having her windscreen blacked out might have helped her in seeing him.

To do this is obviously quite stupid, but does Thailand even have a law against it?

Why not? I have done it long time ago, helps immensely with the sun. And I've never experienced any visibility issues. Not even in mountain roads at 4AM at night without a single light except my headlights. 

The fact that it isn't allowed in the US, doesn't mean that it shouldn't be done anywhere else in the world, or that it affects safety in any way. As a matter of fact, the US bans tinting windows not for safety reasons, but mainly because those thugs with guns and badge over there in the US want to see who is driving ????

Edited by ctxa
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 6:56 PM, AlfHuy said:

Very young lecturer and already driving a Benz?

As far as I know, UNI jobs don't paid that well.

I was wondering that too. I must become a uni lecturer. Apparently not even a professor.

As a Benz diver she might have (or the owner might have- daddy or sugar daddy) the baht to have the case forgotten. Of course, I have never heard of such a thing. But it's possible.

Yesterday, I was almost hit by a silver Benz as well.

I walked in a Soi. Thanks to my full attention and fast reflex, I could jump away.

Even after 20 years and no accident, I was very lucky because that Benz driver seems to try to hit me on purpose.

So, I consider this social political as stone age.

Here is no law of fairness, just the law of richness reckless and arrogance.

• Like 2

"She appeared to be drunk but told police that she wasn't and that she would take care of everything."

Hi so Bitch! She'll get off with a hefty fine and a few coffers to the victims family. As far as her position as a University Lecturer,  It's not what you know in Thailand. It's Who you are and who you know and how much money you have.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some of you guys need a mental vasectomy if you thingk any female in a decent vehicle must have earned such through ‘side line work’....  You must be unaware of the numbers of women in Thailand who come from wealthy backgrounds, probably because the attitudes some of you express are so poisonous you lack the game to cross socio-economic lines to have ever been exposed to Thai society beyond the base-line. 

This issue is one of a poisonous person who believed she was beyond the law and can use her privilege to escape the consequences - this is avoidance of responsibility is inherent through ever facet of Thai society...  ranging from brake failure to daddy will get me out of it... 

Drink / drugged driving & riding here is an issue which crosses all socio-economic boundaries and is a national problem. 

The only difference between this girl and a drunk guy driving his cement truck what it costs to get away with it....  time vs money... 

The difference between this woman and the drunk guy driving his cement truck is that she is a highly paid university lecturer (judging by the car she drives) amongst the top 10 percent of intelligence and social awareness in the country and knows exactly what the consequences of her actions would be. The drunk lorry driver is much lower on the social awareness scale and probably lives from day to day with no thought for the future. She is highly privileged within Thai society he is just a pleb. She probably has the clout to make it go away the lorry driver doesn't.. The man she killed was a manual worker doing his job. Manual workers are considered to be the lowest in society according to academics worldwide who think that manual work does not deserve the same rewards as sitting in an office, schoolroom or laboratory 'using your brain'. Her mindset will be that it was nobody important who can be easily replaced. She deserves every slur and rancid comment made about her whether they are true or not

• Like 1

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some of you guys need a mental vasectomy if you thingk any female in a decent vehicle must have earned such through ‘side line work’....  You must be unaware of the numbers of women in Thailand who come from wealthy backgrounds, probably because the attitudes some of you express are so poisonous you lack the game to cross socio-economic lines to have ever been exposed to Thai society beyond the base-line. 

This issue is one of a poisonous person who believed she was beyond the law and can use her privilege to escape the consequences - this is avoidance of responsibility is inherent through ever facet of Thai society...  ranging from brake failure to daddy will get me out of it... 

Drink / drugged driving & riding here is an issue which crosses all socio-economic boundaries and is a national problem. 

The only difference between this girl and a drunk guy driving his cement truck what it costs to get away with it....  time vs money... 

I mentioned family. Relax.

On 3/6/2021 at 7:07 PM, ChipButty said:

It comes with driving a Benz, insurance policy

In the US and many other countries, insurance policies are often cancelled or considered null should the owner of the policy be convicted of DUI or other major offence!  Hopefully, it will apply in this case and the 'connected' person will have to pay out of her or her families pocket 

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2021 at 12:21 AM, Fex Bluse said:

I can see from the comments that lots of newbies don't know much about Thailand... 

Lecturing at the well known uni and driving a Benz should make anyone who knows Thailand immediately suspect the driver is from a wealthy family. 

You don't get these jobs without being connected. 

Your use of knowledge and understanding are problematic. Those who jump to self-supporting assumptions based on the prejudice of not being Thai will be offended by you basing your comments on facts!!

• Thanks 1