Pattaya: Songkran/Wan Lai celebration back on - whether water splashing will be allowed under consideration

rooster59

Pattaya: Songkran/Wan Lai celebration back on - whether water splashing will be allowed under consideration

156549158_4012164718804432_2884085475350048136_o.jpg

Caption: Wan Lai (Songkran) Comeback - subject to Covid-19 protocols, Image: Sophon Cable TV

Pattaya's mayor Sontaya Khunpluem spoke to Sophon Cable TV after the culture minister gave the green light for Songkran to be held in Thailand this year.

But what form that takes remains uncertain though what is definite is that many Covid-19 protocols will be in place. 

Sontaya was keen to play up the importance of spurring tourism and the economy now that the vaccination program has started.

He outlined the cultural activities that would go ahead including a ceremony to honor older people at Wat Chaimongkhol and Kong Khao rice giving ceremonies to honor the departed at Photina Klua and Wat Nong Yai.

He was keen to highlight merit making, receiving blessings and maintaining Thailand's wonderful cultural heritage. 

He said that all events will be subject to mask wearing, temperature and social distancing protocols. 

He said that an organising committee and associated individuals were in charge and said that what form any water splashing would take remains to be decided. 

That might happen on what Pattayans call Wan Lai Day on April 19th. 

Pattaya is well known for celebrating Songkran more raucously after the rest of the country.

The official Songkran holiday is six days this year from April 10 to 15th.

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-03-06

• Sad 2

As the number of covid infections are extremely (miraculously) low in Thailand, very few deaths -- and those are all contributed to foreigners or returning Thais from foreign lands -- the fact that all entrants to the Kingdom have to undergo quarantine -- there is little reason to cancel this silly water-throwing festival. The only danger is accidents caused by water thrown at motorbikes and thus causing accidents, and filthy water being thrown in eyes and mouths -- which has never caused concern previously.

That is, of course, that the Thai covid figures are accurate!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1Gringo said:

I much prefer a dry Songkran, thank you.  but if they are going to throw water, why not limit it to rice paddies and the like?

Songkhran is the only time of year that I'm glad to no longer live there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sontaya was keen to play up the importance of spurring tourism and the economy now that the vaccination program has started.

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said that all events will be subject to mask wearing, temperature and social distancing protocols.

Mentioned above 2 things that won't happen...

and the 3rd will be me not going to Pattaya, while it may draw some crowds it will also put others off.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Obviously Covid is not taken to seriously, because Songkran will cause people to break ALL covid rules on a mass scale...

Besides money, WHAT do they take seriously???

Let the debachery begin....release the hounds and the ladies...it's quicker with liquor, can't wait for thrice cold jetted toilet water in the face and asbestos cancerous baby powder into the lungs....NICE!  (oh, forgot, healthy dose of medically expensive C19). Welcome to LOS enjoy your stay.

Edited by mike787

29 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Obviously Covid is not taken to seriously, because Songkran will cause people to break ALL covid rules on a mass scale...

thats why i will stay in bangkok locked in with my gf..sanook sanam

I do think majority of people will not (over) celebrate as the feeling of the virus not being under control still around...the ones I spoke with they said  "not in the mood"   Mị̀mī xārmṇ̒ 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

It's a week of idiocy in normal times, to even consider holding it when Thailand is recording 50 or so new cases of locally-spread Covid every single day isn't just stupid, it's the height of irresponsibility. Hopefully, the CCSA and PM will appreciate what the consequences of holding Songkran as usual might be and will stamp on the idea. 

"The event will feature covid precautions, including wearing masks, checkpoints to enter the events, limits on crowds, temperature checks, social distancing and more rules that will be announced in the near future according to the Mayor".  The Pattaya news.      

Absolutely ludicrous and totally impossible to enforce.  Back up to the Nakhon Nowhere boonies for me.

35 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Big crowds honouring elders. Sounds like a recipe for more Covid before we really have vaccines in place. I know I'm a broken record but Songkran should be CANCELLED again this year.

Obviously should be cancelled.