Pattaya: Songkran/Wan Lai celebration back on - whether water splashing will be allowed under consideration

rooster59

Are there any intelligent rational thinking politicians in the country of Thailand.  It's amazing so many so-called leaders are dumb enough to publicly express their ridiculous thoughts and proposals which routinely defy logic or reality.

Edited by rioD

48 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

Just cancel it be better off without it 

And miss out on begging someone to not dump a bucket of water on you when your going out for the night......They ignore you and soak you anyways then get a big laugh out of your anger........

No Sir covid can't stand in the way of Pattaya's fine Songkran cultural heritage...

• Like 1

I am so going to miss all those <deleted> with water cannons trying to blast motorcycle drivers in the face as they go down the street.

Almost as much as I'll miss all those <deleted> that think it's hilarious to load their water guns with urine or chili juice.

Because you know, spraying (normal) water at other people just isn't "fun enough" for some people (most of whom seem to be foreigners, what a surprise).

Not to mention how I'll miss how what is a one day event in most of the country is extended to 7-10 days in places like Pattaya. Little wonder so many people try to leave the city during that time.

I think some things will never change. Everyone can annoy you with water or noise as much as he can. There is only one thing that can be done - to move or to avoid this place completely. After almost 30 years of hoping I give up. Annoying things just got worse. And in the meantime I am convinced that it will continue like this. 

On 3/6/2021 at 9:17 AM, darksidedog said:

I suspect they will be trying to keep water throwing to a minimum if only for the fact that the reservoirs around here are nearly empty already.

Covid was blamed last year for no Songkran when the dams were low.  It was the right decision not to have Songkran last year because of Covid, but the reality is there wasn't enough water to waste on having Songkran here.

It will be interesting if Bangkok announce Songkran is allowed across Thailand, but the authorities here know they don't have the water for it.   

On 3/6/2021 at 9:51 AM, anchadian said:

Why don't they cancel it again instead of receiving more reports leading up to Songkran, or is that too easy?

Further planning, under discussion, form a committee, etc.

Same applies to a lot of these topics, especially tourism.

Pathetic.

With or without water count me out!

It's beyond belief.  After all the diligent, stringent and tourist unfriendly precautions that the government have put in place, they are now willing to jeopardize months of "safety first" for a week of reckless frivolity.  Despite the implausible restrictions that will be in place, no-one in their right mind will think that opening up the city for songkran will result in anything other than a plethora of new cases/deaths. I dare say that a serious number of under the counter business transactions have been done lately.    

23 minutes ago, phetchy said:

It's beyond belief.  After all the diligent, stringent and tourist unfriendly precautions that the government have put in place, they are now willing to jeopardize months of "safety first" for a week of reckless frivolity.  Despite the implausible restrictions that will be in place, no-one in their right mind will think that opening up the city for songkran will result in anything other than a plethora of new cases/deaths. I dare say that a serious number of under the counter business transactions have been done lately.    

Well they did it last year.... there was the Fireworks festival (November) and The Music festival. I was concerned as there were a lot of non-Thai hawkers working the beach.