Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Thai teacher condemned for looking down on a student's dream - they want to serve in the US military


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It seems his dream was to invade other peoples' countries. Good that the teacher blocks such dreams.

I give the teacher a fail for this. The question was, What is your dream job? The student answered the question.  I don't see provisos attached to the question that would make the answer incorrec

Posted Images

4 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Every cloud... at least the student did not say 'Thai Military' 

 

 

Well, I expect that's something to be grateful for.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this student have a personal family tie to the United States such as an American father? If not, its really a strange answer. Imagine if growing up in the USA I would have stated that my dream is to be Brazilian soldier but no connection to Brazil. Time to refer for psychological testing. Now if he had said astronaut that would be very different.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tim207 said:

 

Not really so strange. TV shows, movies, video games could be the inspiration. It could also be a rural kid coming into contact with US soldiers doing a rural development project in his village. 

Yeah its probably from movies and video games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BritManToo said:
Just now, Jingthing said:

Does this student have a personal family tie to the United States such as an American father? If not, its really a strange answer. Imagine if growing up in the USA I would have stated that my dream is to be Brazilian soldier but no connection to Brazil. Time to refer for psychological testing. Now if he had said astronaut that would be very different.

Kid probably just watched Rambo.

 

Finding non US citizens serving in the US armed forces was not uncommon in the 80's, let alone today.

 

If they serve honorably for five years they stand an excellent chance of getting US citizenship. And if they put in twenty they would qualify for a military pension which would set them up if living in Thailand. They probably know of someone who has done it.  

I bet it does <deleted> the teacher off. I recall the Mexican police got strappy about a US marine funeral in Mexico. Perhaps they need an emotional support animal?! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LomSak27 said:

 

Finding non US citizens serving in the US armed forces was not uncommon in the 80's, let alone today.

 

If they serve honorably for five years they stand an excellent chance of getting US citizenship. And if they put in twenty they would qualify for a military pension which would set them up if living in Thailand. They probably know of someone who has done it.  

I bet it does <deleted> the teacher off. I recall the Mexican police got strappy about a US marine funeral in Mexico. Perhaps they need an emotional support animal?! 

Yes I'm well aware of that. Mostly Mexicans and Central Americans. Not usual for Thais.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jingthing said:

Not usual for Thais.

 

Maybe they were more visible in decades past. I have ran into ex US military a number of times out in isaan. These were not Vietnam war era per se, but they might have got a job at an airbase, or a father or relative did, then were able to join the army later on.

 

There was a guy who had a restaurant right by Khon Kaen bus station, retired. However he had spent too long in the US. He did not like it back home. Too much corruption. Definitely not joking.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I give the teacher a fail for this. The question was, What is your dream job? The student answered the question. 

I don't see provisos attached to the question that would make the answer incorrect.

Correct, answered the question, I don't understand all the cr*p about green cards,  citizenship etc - <deleted> to do with what was asked. 

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Kid probably just watched Rambo.

Maybe he watched Tropic Thunder. Parents and teachers should not be crunching dreams. Rejecting everything I was told when I was a teen was the best thing I ever did. Certainly there is a way, perhaps get into a US college first.

US Military service offers even a fast track to citizenship.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sanuk711 said:

I was surprised to know you can join the USA Army not being American--then I remembered that we (Britain ) had a world boxing champion (we don't get that many) who done 2 years in the Marines, before he came back to Britain and won the Middleweight world title in the 60s.......got to be old to remember listening that fight on the radio................:coffee1:

Not so strange. Commonwealth citizens can join the British army. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see the teacher getting into trouble more for basically implying that Thai Education itself is  ot good enough for the student to reach sufficient recognisable qualifications...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I give the teacher a fail for this. The question was, What is your dream job? The student answered the question. 

I don't see provisos attached to the question that would make the answer incorrect.

I thought the point of 'dream jobs' is that, by and large, they are unrealistic. 

My son did a project on this just this week. He want's a be a bow hunter in Montana or some such place. He's into archery. But he has foreign teachers, so no problem with that:) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

And is it no wonder why Thai kids don't ask questions or express opinions. If you do meet one, they probably didn't have Thai teachers for their formal education. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

There are but a handful of reputable militaries on earth in modern history 

 

UK, USA, Japan 

Considering the war crimes, atrocities and brutality of the imperial Japanese forces in the 30s and 40s I would hardly say they were reputable...

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DavisH said:

I thought the point of 'dream jobs' is that, by and large, they are unrealistic. 

My son did a project on this just this week. He want's a be a bow hunter in Montana or some such place. He's into archery. But he has foreign teachers, so no problem with that:) 

I was dreaming about being a "women's hunter" and now, later in life, starting to live my dream.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...