Thai teacher condemned for looking down on a student's dream - they want to serve in the US military

rooster59

12 minutes ago, Zikomat said:

This student deserves to be beaten.

could be the teacher misinterpreted his guidance from above... 

- instead of guiding a student to stick with his lessons 

- he instead lessoned the student with a stick... 

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Does this student have a personal family tie to the United States such as an American father? If not, its really a strange answer. Imagine if growing up in the USA I would have stated that my dream is to be Brazilian soldier but no connection to Brazil. Time to refer for psychological testing. Now if he had said astronaut that would be very different.

could have been worse you had a dream to be a Thai soldier

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Does this student have a personal family tie to the United States such as an American father? If not, its really a strange answer. Imagine if growing up in the USA I would have stated that my dream is to be Brazilian soldier but no connection to Brazil. Time to refer for psychological testing. Now if he had said astronaut that would be very different.

Maybe he could have been the first Thai to the moon?

Ohhh he asked for something realistic.... if forgot !!!

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Small minded people in dead end jobs often want to pull others dreams down so that they do not do better in life than them.

So teaching is a dead end job full of small minded people. Seems small mindedness may be reflected in the next mirror you look into. As for the teacher in this incident it's not good and should have been done better. This is a teacher centred approach and comes as no suprise. Seems like this student was thinking a bit outside of the box. Sorry. Not allowed. You will conform.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

Someone better tell him that if he joins, hangs around long enough to get a passport, leaves and comes back here to live, he will be filling out US tax returns and sending money to Uncle Sam for the rest of his life.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not as surprised as you, the US Army does a lot of PR to young people, including through army-developed games, such as America's Army

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America's_Army

the next iteration is expected to launch soon

young Thai people fascinated by weapons and the military would clearly be attracted by the advertisements put out be the US rather than looking forward to be beaten as a Thai recruit (as widely reported in Thai news) with little perspective of a career in the Thai Army.

The Thai Army has some really badass jungle combat units though.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

Maybe the teacher was inspired by for instance this song.

Addicted to clean violence as seen on the t.v. screen
Not a man but just a boy and he's looking mean
Never seen a corpse, not knowing how it smells
It's never you who dies it's always someone else
Go into the war as if you play a football game
You want to become a hero
so that everybody knows your name
You have to puke when you see the first rotten body
But it won't take long cause destruction is all you'll see

(CHORUS)
Into the war, strong as a man
Than you want out as fast as you can
But the door is locked, there's no way back
Kill or be killed you have to attack

What is it that you <deleted>in' fighting for?
You just don't know cause you couldn't think anymore
Your friends are tortured, killed in the front of your eyes
It's not only friends, it's a piece of you that dies
And one time you realize, you're just a <deleted> victim
Nothing more than a puppet of a rotten system

(CHORUS)

How many soldiers you have killed you just don't know
All the mothers that will cry for the sons you blow
Maybe he is just as old as you
Maybe he likes punkrock and has a girlfriend too
It is just a game with a deadly end
In the end you don't know who's your enemy or friend
The leaders they will talk but won't change a thing
Total <deleted>in' madness is what war you will bring!

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems his dream was to invade other peoples' countries.

Good that the teacher blocks such dreams.

Silly comment. The student (does not mention gender) more than likely would have no idea what you're talking about.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Silly comment. The student (does not mention gender) more than likely would have no idea what you're talking about.

Maybe that is my point. The US government used the US military to invade lots of countries with lots of people who didn't want to be invaded and killed. If a student aspires to join such an organization then he (because most likely it is he) should think again.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe that is my point. The US government used the US military to invade lots of countries with lots of people who didn't want to be invaded and killed. If a student aspires to join such an organization then he (because most likely it is he) should think again.

TIT. Show a map of the world and there's a good chance the student couldn't point out the US. Maybe it's imagination, something that shouldn't be quelled by a teacher, maybe the student's a nutter, who knows. There is also nowhere in the article that age is stated. Maybe grade 10-12 where students do military cadets to try to get them into the armed forces. Like scouts in the lower years where they march around with sticks but it's still military style. What school? There are many variables but in my opinion (teaching for 17 yrs) the teacher could have done better.

Edited by dinsdale

Joining the us army. good grief, poor kid. watched too many hollywood movies, should watch youtube instead. usa no safe streets carjackings homeinvasions, bad cops rascism Karen's and other crazy "normal" people, covid deniers, flatearthers, cities with thousands of homeless people living in boxes....

He should be glad to live inThailand and join the Thai army, not join a foreign army and end up being a tool for america invading and wrecking other countries and returning home a mental wreck.

GREAT TEACHER!! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Pretty rude question about Brazil. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Armed_Forces

Brazil's armed forces are the second largest in the Americas, after the United States, and the largest in Latin America by the level of military equipment, with 334,500 active-duty troops and officers.

Almost as big as the Thai military but not so many generals.

The population was 211 million in 2019 and the military is around 344,000 with 1 year conscription.