Thai teacher condemned for looking down on a student's dream - they want to serve in the US military

rooster59

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Considering the war crimes, atrocities and brutality of the imperial Japanese forces in the 30s and 40s I would hardly say they were reputable...

I deplore what the Japanese did at the time, but perhaps you haven't noticed that it's a different world 80 years later ...

Edited by Mister Fixit

4 hours ago, bermondburi said:

The Americans have got nothing on the British when it comes to invading! 

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

There is so much wrong in this link.

Here is just one example:

Quote (2.43): "Germany too was, obviously, invaded by the British in 1945".

• Like 2

Americans might want to join the army for patriotic reasons. But the only reason a foreigner might want to do so is for mercenary reasons IMO and as such should appropriately be looked down upon.

The only reason a Thai male might want to join the army and kill people, would be for some kind of profit for himself. 

I hope everyone would agree that killing for profit is not a good thing.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

TIT. Show a map of the world and there's a good chance the student couldn't point out the US. Maybe it's imagination, something that shouldn't be quelled by a teacher, maybe the student's a nutter, who knows. There is also nowhere in the article that age is stated. Maybe grade 10-12 where students do military cadets to try to get them into the armed forces. Like scouts in the lower years where they march around with sticks but it's still military style. What school? There are many variables but in my opinion (teaching for 17 yrs) the teacher could have done better.

On numerous occasions I have shown students a map of the world and asked them to point out Thailand.  About 10-15% get it right, the rest waving their hand in the general direction of  somewhere between India and Australia.

If I get more specific with other larger countries and ask them to point out the US, Canada, UK or Australia, most can't.

If I get even more specific there's not a chance in hell that any of them can point out places like Denmark, Finland, Bosnia, Iraq, or Bangladesh. 

Most of them still think that Africa is a country.

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

There is so much wrong in this link.

Here is just one example:

Quote (2.43): "Germany too was, obviously, invaded by the British in 1945".

Actually, that really has to be one of the cr@ppiest videos I have seen in many, many years. 

So much wrong with it in terms of historical accuracy, and yet again narrated at gabbling hyperspeed by yet another Merkin who doesn't know how to pronounce the names of places correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

I deplore what the Japanese did at the time, but perhaps you haven't noticed that it's a different world 80 years later ...

True but Perhaps you should look at the post I replied to...holding the Japanese army as a model of reputable behaviour is not really a choice I would make. 

In addition many of those responsible for the atrocities committed are still revered  at the Yasukuni shrine by many, including prime ministers. 

Edited by Bluespunk

15 hours ago, Nsp64 said:

Yes Teacher.....mustn't allow the youth to have aspirations or goals in life,  must we ?

Stand to attention and sing a few more songs, they'll soon forget it.

Joining the US military is an aspiration??  Pledging allegiance to a bit of cloth is different to standing to attention and singing songs??

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

I remember when I was young the slogan the army used "Join the Army and See the World"

A great example is Singapore, still has compulsory NS, but the majority of young guys very willing to do their NS, to some extent of the benefits; good accommodation and meals, valuable trips and interaction with Sth. Korean army/NS guys and more. Modern training, gentle push to continue their education (S'pore has a target % of how many nashos get discharged with a degree and other good qualifications, along with focused support and they achieve the targets). Well done.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

On numerous occasions I have shown students a map of the world and asked them to point out Thailand.  About 10-15% get it right, the rest waving their hand in the general direction of  somewhere between India and Australia.

If I get more specific with other larger countries and ask them to point out the US, Canada, UK or Australia, most can't.

If I get even more specific there's not a chance in hell that any of them can point out places like Denmark, Finland, Bosnia, Iraq, or Bangladesh. 

Most of them still think that Africa is a country.

Put a blank map of Thailand on the board. Get students to mark where Hua-Hin is. Pattata, Chiang Mai/Rai, Nong Kai, Mukdahan, Kanchanaburi anywhere really. It's amazing as in amazingly bad.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Is she an American?

Our family loud mouthed full on lady boy is adamant that Germany is the first country immediately North of Thailand. 

Show him an atlas or a world globe and he's insistent that they are wrong.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

From above: "The only reason a Thai male might want to join the army and kill people, would be for some kind of profit for himself. "

It's been said many times before that volunteers (including young guys who have no family) join the Thai army because It's the best they can see in terms of 'belonging' to sort of of 'family', you get a roof over your head and 3 meals a day, and few Baht in your pocket. I'm aware this is also true in the Aust. Army and must be true in many other countries.

My own Thai son married a wonderful young lady, they met each other at uni, she got through on student loans. She loved to come to our house and it was obvious to my Thai wife (Dr. of Medicine and qualifications in sociology, all gained in Australia, sadly since passed away ) and myself that she was engrossed/fascinated by the way our/my family worked as a team and the love, care, support in place. And the love was extended to my son's GF.

After some time my son revealed that she had little contact with her family because it was totally dysfunctional and she had/got no love or support from them ever (Incl: her mother father and 6 siblings. From a toddler she had to take care of herself, mother wanted to sleep, etc., etc. A couple of time she had contacted her mother to say she was coming home (near Suko Thai) for the long week-end, but on arrival home nobody to pick her up, get to her parents house and discover they had  gone elsewhere for the long week-end). 

Several of her brothers joined the Thai Army as soon as they were old enough. Turns out they had come into contact with 'welfare' agencies who had convinced them the Army was their best option in life, for the reasons mentioned above. 

Two of her brothers have come to our family house many times on army leave/day off etc., they clearly enjoyed/were fascinated by watching my son teaching his kids to cook and involving them in preparing the vegetables etc., and lots of 2 way discussions, and they would sit with sons kids and participate in the 'family activities', e.g. prepare the vegetables, set out plates and cutlery etc. Also my son talking to his kids very regularly about school/homework, making them responsible to make their beds before going to school and more.

And a key point; my son or his wife saying to the kids, hurry up or we will all be late for school and that's not OK! And in the afternoon my son's wife telling them come with me to pick up the kids from school but we have to be gone from the house by xxxx time, we cannot be late. Plus she would give them the responsibility to prepare a box of snacks to give to the 3 kids when they got in the car (carrot sticks, cheese cubes, celery sticks and more).

Structure.

Structure, care and understanding 

Edited by Artisi

20 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I'm well aware of that. Mostly Mexicans and Central Americans. Not usual for Thais.

I have a good Thai friend who joined the US military, became a US citizen, retired with a good pension, and moved back here where he had to do 90 day reporting just like me. Lol, did I give it to him.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DavisH said:

And is it no wonder why Thai kids don't ask questions or express opinions. If you do meet one, they probably didn't have Thai teachers for their formal education. 

The lack of fostering such abstract thinking within a classroom, not happy with their salary / daily life,  lack of professionalism, twisted morals, and inability to express opinions when sharing in dialogue.

These are often qualities of T teachers, women more so than men IMO. I'm glad at times I don't have a kid here going to school.

On 3/6/2021 at 9:25 AM, rooster59 said:

marked in red "change it, put down something that you could realistically do".

In line with the above remark, my advice to the teacher is:

"Change jobs and look for something that you can realistically do and are qualified for."

Obviously the teacher doesn't understand the meaning of the word 'dream' using it as a verb, not a noun.

I was involved in the I.E.L.T.S. speaking examination for a language school in China:

''I think it might have to stay as my dream Job, rather than my actual job! Even so, I think it is important to have a dream because otherwise how can you ever have a dream come true!''

514908619_IELTSDreamJob.JPG.787fe8a4317f31656896592c3e886d65.JPG

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

"Change jobs and look for something that you can realistically do and are qualified for."

Many of them only want a Teachers job because it's the only job they can get with a Pension; shut out of higher end jobs with Pensions.   They are only in it for themselves and care little for Kids aspirations, or indeed 'education'.  Majority of them only fit for working in Supermarkets or as cleaners in School's !

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Here's a novelty.

To all Thai teachers,  allow your students to ask 'you' questions.

Sadly they wouldn't get many answers even if asking were allowed; we know several so called 'Teachers' and they are as dumb as bricks !

2 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Not his dream job????

4 hours ago, rabas said:

I have a good Thai friend who joined the US military, became a US citizen, retired with a good pension, and moved back here where he had to do 90 day reporting just like me. Lol, did I give it to him.

Why didn't he return as a Thai, no logic being a US citizen. 

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

Why didn't he return as a Thai, no logic being a US citizen. 

As pure Thai he could not maintain dual citizenship, in either country I believe. He lived a good life as an American in California and decided to return to Thailand after retirement with a great military pension. Tiger Woods is a different story being a dual citizen by birth.