Authorities Eyes Price Information of Additional 100 Medicines and Medical Services

rooster59

Authorities Eyes Price Information of Additional 100 Medicines and Medical Services

Paphamon Arayasukawat

7bebc2b08d6351ac0f3fb245f4cf37ec_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) -The Internal Trade Department plans to require private hospitals to inform people of the prices of an additional 100 medicines and medical services related to the pandemic so consumers can view them before deciding whether or not to receive them.

Department Director-General Wattanasak Sur-iam said more than 300 private hospitals nationwide have been asked to inform the department of these prices, especially those relating to medical examination and treatment of Covid-19.

According to Mr Wattanasak said the department will publish the information on its website and via QR codes as soon as possible in order that members of the public can compare prices and make their decisions once the prices of additional items have been received and compiled.

The department expects there will be an overwhelming interest among patients and members of the public who will be able to browse information to compare the prices charged by different private hospitals in the same way they can now compare the prices of other medicines, as earlier provided by the department.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2021-03-06

• Like 1

Long over due.....but why on a website? Why not a poster in the reception area of the hospital? For hospital groups, say like Bangkok Hospital I would also like to see a comparison between the hospital I am at, and others in the same group for the same drugs and services. I'm tired of getting ripped off by inflated and opaque pricing in private hospitals.

10 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Long over due.....but why on a website? Why not a poster in the reception area of the hospital?

Because they don't really want their patients to know what their prices are, but they do want to pretend that's what they're doing. Perhaps 90% of patients won't bother to look up the web page, while the hospital can claim high transparency and good ethics while studiously robbing their patients blind.

Misdirection - a standard deception technique in LOS.

Edited by Taswegian23

21 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Long over due.....but why on a website? Why not a poster in the reception area of the hospital? For hospital groups, say like Bangkok Hospital I would also like to see a comparison between the hospital I am at, and others in the same group for the same drugs and services. I'm tired of getting ripped off by inflated and opaque pricing in private hospitals.

Yes indeed, just a bunch of bill padding thieves imo

23 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

I would never pay private hospital prices stayed one night at Samitivit hospital 27baht for a baby asprin,now when i want my meds i phone my govt hospital pay online and they send by post ,far far far cheaper

I never knew you  could buy medication from a government hospital without seeing a doctor first

• Confused 1

Can't the legally double (or triple) price Farangs?  I thought it was pretty much open season on gouging foreigners with the blessings of the authorities.

I don't know.  Am I wrong?  Do they need to keep those stated prices for all patients regardless of nationality?  Or is there a tiered pricing schedule for private hospitals?  Inquiring minds would like to know.

1 hour ago, Ireland32 said:

Hospitals are rip

offs for prescriptions where you find a great pharmacy in Korat , Siam Pharmacy order online or call or LINE delivered for 1/10 the price 

That would be wonderful.  But I've used Google and DuckDuckGo to look up Siam Pharmacy and Siam Pharmacy Korat and can not find any link to the shop no less an online shopping portal.  But I'm not the sharpest tack in the box.
Could you supply the link?  I'm always interested if I can by meds cheaper than I'm getting them now.  Thanks.

On 3/6/2021 at 11:37 AM, rooster59 said:

The Internal Trade Department plans to require private hospitals to inform people of the prices of an additional 100 medicines and medical services related to the pandemic so consumers can view them before deciding whether or not to receive them.

What is the Thai law regarding price disclosure at private hospitals as it stands today?