Thailand suffers sharp fall in rankings of best countries for retirement

rooster59

Many years ago, I asked a Thai man if he was okay with foreigners coming to Thailand for the women.

He said they were very welcome as they always picked the ugly ones to marry. He just couldn't understand why when there were so many nice looking ones.

Phuket immigration in Phuket is a very busy during normal times.

They have constantly tried to improve their service such as:-

Separate rooms for Non-imm extensions. One room for the extensions and a large room for all the rest.

Introduced a drive thru for 90 day report (only passport required) and TM28 and TM 30 registration (only passport required).

Have Western immigration volunteers that speak several languages so that questions can be asked.

All paperwork checked first before a queue ticket is issued.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatsNext said:

Portugal really ? The houses there are very very expensive and there is nothing much to do on the algarve apart from walking around and eating, o wait. 

For me at least Thailand has one huge giant big mother boinking plus that i cannot find anywhere else, freedom of taxes. That alone pays for my monthly expenses. 

So for the rest of the negatives i have to close my eyes a little.

Regarding immigration ; it seems that everyone has a different story, i have the 800k on an account and in the 3 years that i am here i have been in and out of immigration in under an hour once a year. 

I do not understand the crowd that is scared to park 800k on an account here, there are foreign bussiness and investors here with many many multiples of that, banks here are as fine as they are in other countries. Take the Bangkok bank with many offices outside of thailand, even in places like Singapore, London and New York. Yes i understand for many 800k is a lot of money but it's not something that Prayut is going to steal from you. Just park it, you will even get a little interest as compared to having to pay for your money in Europe....

I'll speak as someone who spent nearly 20 years in Thailand, love the place, would live the reat of my life there if possible.

However, you make one good point. There's the situation with women, and the ease of being with them, or marrying them. In my later years of living there I didn't bother with that stuff (at all) (I did that stuff to death during the first 5 or 6 years). If I take that away, also the fact that I'm not that into Thai food, and places like Penang or Cambodia become much more acceptable (the weather is similar, and expenses are cheaper or similar).

I'm not one of the 'rose-tinted glasses' people goes on as if everything about Thailand is wonderful, neither were I a whinger that's always moaning about it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DuiDui48 said:

..and sames goes for my homecountry Sweden,and i guess many other countrys.

I'm on RT Visa,lived here fulltime 20+ years,have bought a house,have a small car,motorbike and a bicycle.Make 99% of all my food myself,no bars,no alkohol and ciggs.Have health and accident insurance.I myself live very very good on 10.000-20.000 bath a month..that amount includes the above.

That said,Corruption,Police force and schooling/education is some of my BIG negatives..well also the non English speaking population,well most of them..Other then that,love it,not every day mind you,but i rather live here then in Sweden,said sadly..Have a great one everyone..:-)

Twenty years and you can't speak Thai?

What would you think of an Iraqi immigrant to Sweden complain that the population doesn't speak Arabic?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Once you have acquired your residency, you pay approximately 7% to 11% of your reported monthly income into the Caja

no thanks, i prefer to buy my own health insurance and the hastle free way of thailand.

and 2000 USD will not buy comfortable life for a couple in costa rica. costa rica is propably the most

expensive place in south america...and not so crime free after all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Guderian said:

Why isn't there a column for the level of corruption? Thailand would easily rank Number 1 in that, lol.

You clearly have not tried some of the other countries listed!

• Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 2:01 PM, rooster59 said:

Costa Rica abolished their army in 1948 and pledged that budget to education and healthcare.

I would love to see the looks on the Generals faces if someone would suggest this course of action here !!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2021 at 2:08 PM, Fromas said:

Thailand is a great country, but some of her policies for expats are bureaucratic obstacle courses.

Sums it up, nothing further to add. Except they allowed the prioritization of Chinese tourism money tree to obscure the cashflow from the expat part of the economy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NilSS said:

I try not to get involved in Thai bashing, or Thai apologising, both cases are a zero sum game, particularly on this forum. . . but my personal irritation is with the notion I have a choice to be here. I do and I don't. There was a time, a long time ago, I might have left for somewhere else, taking my own skillset and the talent my family contribute to Thai society and stuck my finger up as I left, but I committed. I no more have a choice than my Thai wife and kids have a choice to be here, Thailand is as much my home as it is theirs. My entire family are dual Thai/British, so in that regard they have 'choices'. . . yet Thai society elects to make me FEEL like an outsider no matter how long I stay here, no matter how much I pay in tax, no matter how many people I employ, by imposing draconian and absurd immigration rules on me, such as having to report every few months to state that absolutely nothing has changed, or making me pay 10 times more than locals as a government policy. I decided to initiate my own Thai citizenship process just to be free of it because frankly it makes my p!$$ boil and I'd rather peel my own skin off than visit immigration again to show them pictures of me and my wife and kids standing in front of our house, the same house we lived in last year, and the year before that, and that, and that. . . I can say with absolute confidence, and without a hint of arrogance, that I am irreplaceable to the company I work for. They would never, ever, find someone with my broad range of skills locally, and certainly not at the salary they pay me. . .

Having said that, I feel there are many facets of Thai society that I am compatible with, the generally VERY high levels of respect in Thai youth for example, Thai civics are generally very agreeable to me. These league tables like the one in the OP are just commercial expat websites attempting to raise their profile, and their figures are probably made up anyway. It's all horses#!t.

If you're working for a company, how is it you have trouble with immigration? In the twenty years I worked here I don't think I ever went to immigration, and only went to the One-Stop 8-10 times.

Since I retired, I've been going to immigration, it it does not seem like that much of a hassle.

Where are you going all the time where you have to pay ten-times what the locals pay? 

I wonder how many of the people moaning about immigration here are moaning about how immigrants are ruining their home countries. 

• Like 2