Is the BBC getting too "woke" ?

Still reading any media? ????

Journalists are a joke nowadays. Moved by political and economical powers rather than doing what they should do and doing so impartially.... Too sad. There is not a single place to go for minimally decent information about what's going on in the rest world....

Edited by ctxa
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, NilSS said:

Where do you get your news, the twatter feed of some 'citizen' journalist?

I don't agree with you at all. The depth and breadth of investigative journalism on the big news corps like Al Jazeera (and even the BBC) is nothing short of superb, and better than it EVER was. This week's Panorama (Missing Princess) is dynamite.

Nah, whenever I am bored enough, I would read news from several big corps. CNN, Fox News, BBC, EFE, RT, Global Times, Al-Jazzera.... Nevertheless it is more of a past-time than anything else, just to get an an approximate idea of what's going on around the world. No matter which one it is, I take 'em all with the same pinch of salt, and I certainly wouldn't bet a single penny on whether what they are reporting is fully correct and not biased (purposefully omitting things, reporting things slightly different,...). 

I could however agree, that Al-Jazeera is probably the less-crappy of them all, and they go to huge extents on investigative journalism. But again, at least Al-Jazeera is private, so even if they were biased, meh, they can do whatever they want, they're a private company after all. Not like the BBC which is paid for by every UK household, yet they are extremely biased towards certain things, that is really shameful. I really understand how certain UK households which can't swallow some of the bs the BBC makes, feels after having to mandatorily pay for them

The only media I fully trust, is the local newspaper of my hometown back in Europe. ~10,000 inhabitants, I fully trust that they are not biased at all. Because there is nothing to be biased when reporting about the things that happen in a ~10,000 inhabitants town. ????

Edited by ctxa
1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

RT!!:cheesy:

Laugh all you wish that's the problem with close minded people.

Give RT a try or are you so brainwashed by your countries rhetoric the true is only to be hidden.

I guess you don't like Julian Assange.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Laugh all you wish that's the problem with close minded people.

Give RT a try or are you so brainwashed by your countries rhetoric the true is only to be hidden.

I guess you don't like Julian Assange.

Media Bias report......although they could be biased....

Overall, we rate RT Questionable based on promoting pro-Russian propaganda, promotion of conspiracy theories, numerous failed fact checks, and a lack of author transparency.

5 hours ago, champers said:

I have just looked at the BBC World News online. Headlines 1 to 3 are:

1. China strengthening her grip on Hong Kong. Fair enough.

2. Myanmar protest updates. Yes, again fair enough.

3. Indian woman keeps flower embroidery tradition alive. No, no way can this be ahead of anything about Covid, the Pope in Iraq, Aussie political sex scandal, New York political sex scandal and dozens of other topics of world relevance.

BBC World News on TV is no better. It spends ab inordinate amount of time describing how wonderfully diverse it is that it forgets it's main function which is reporting the news. If it wasn't for the fact the gorgeous Yalda Hacim and Lucy Hocking still appear on our screens BBC World News would not be worth the bother. I expect both these 2 delights will be replaced any time soon by a couple of old and fat frumps completely devoid of sex appeal.

The BBC is now so woke it is in danger of sending eerybody to sleep.

I tossed my TV a decade ago and don't view BBC (or any other MSM outlet) online. 
Reading books or studying is more productive.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Overall, we rate RT Questionable based on promoting pro-Russian propaganda, promotion of conspiracy theories, numerous failed fact checks, and a lack of author transparency.

I tend to rate the BBC, the subject of the topic, on it being a propaganda vehicle for the royalist agenda. Tune in if you enjoy Nicholas Witchell being a fawning tw@t over a family that hate him.

Edited by NilSS
5 hours ago, champers said:

I have just looked at the BBC World News online. Headlines 1 to 3 are:

1. China strengthening her grip on Hong Kong. Fair enough.

2. Myanmar protest updates. Yes, again fair enough.

3. Indian woman keeps flower embroidery tradition alive. No, no way can this be ahead of anything about Covid, the Pope in Iraq, Aussie political sex scandal, New York political sex scandal and dozens of other topics of world relevance.

BBC World News on TV is no better. It spends ab inordinate amount of time describing how wonderfully diverse it is that it forgets it's main function which is reporting the news. If it wasn't for the fact the gorgeous Yalda Hacim and Lucy Hocking still appear on our screens BBC World News would not be worth the bother. I expect both these 2 delights will be replaced any time soon by a couple of old and fat frumps completely devoid of sex appeal.

The BBC is now so woke it is in danger of sending eerybody to sleep.

A by product of being financed by compulsory license fee, " aunty beeb " would have gone down the gurgler years ago had it been a commercial enterprise,so as long as all the mugs keep buying a license they,lll keep subsidising it,and on a darker side check out john lydons ( johnny rotten of the sex pistols ) interview with piers morgan.

Edited by kingdong
35 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

I was talking about programs not there news does everyone here only read what they want read.

I said two talk programs on RT and others are OK the people talking are not vetted beforehand like they are on bbc interviews go figure..

The main problem is that todays youth and those older have never really had any hardships ,no wars ,no shortages ,even if your out of work you get money and a place to live ,so add to that social media and you have a society that has to find something to be offended by,its the woke society ,when and if there is a real disaster in the world(no not covid)that makeslife really hard for them ,wokism would be the first to go.

also countrys in the west especially are not made up of "native people" but people from all around the world,all being taught different values .

to be blunt the world is going to hell in a handcart ,when i was born there were 3 billion of us ,now 7 billion by 2050 12 billion ,glad i was born when i was 

• Like 1

What I want from my news is just that tell me what happened today not your opinion. Not saying I don't value opinions but should be separate. In the US we have PBS public broadcasting and radio. It has some government funding but most comes from donations. I know some of the FOX" news" type think it's a commie mouthpiece but more than likely never looked. By the way RADIO has far better information IMHO. BBC and NPR  Most news today are little better than gossip rags.

On 3/6/2021 at 2:02 PM, champers said:

BBC World News on TV is no better. It spends ab inordinate amount of time describing how wonderfully diverse it is that it forgets it's main function which is reporting the news.

My particular beef with that particular channel relates to its apparent obsession with each and every little event happening in the USA, especially first thing in the morning here in LOS. We already have to endure wall-to-wall coverage of American news from the likes of CNN, so do we really need yet another channel devoted principally to extensive live coverage of Stateside news items of little relevance or interest to most of us? 

28 minutes ago, walt1 said:

What I want from my news is just that tell me what happened today not your opinion. Not saying I don't value opinions but should be separate.

There is a well known lecture taking place this week in the UK.......and one of the main themes is just this...straight news...plus avoiding the horrendous spectacle of the UK having its own Fox 'News' (GB TV).

We already have racist, biased 'newspapers', the last thing a gullible, rightwing electorate needs is a Fox News on the TV

Why are people so scared of 'woke' culture? ........I guess the people that are so scared tend to be white, middle aged racists fearful of losing their highly privileged status in society with all the benefits it carries........Laurence Fox is a prime example (ex-Harrow.....left with no qualifications....what a no-mark)

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

My particular beef with that particular channel relates to its apparent obsession with each and every little event happening in the USA, especially first thing in the morning here in LOS. We already have to endure wall-to-wall coverage of American news from the likes of CNN, so do we really need yet another channel devoted principally to extensive live coverage of Stateside news items of little relevance or interest to most of us? 

Not too sure, but I think there are other channels....or go for it.....there must be an off switch somewhere?

• Like 1
On 3/6/2021 at 2:02 PM, champers said:

If it wasn't for the fact the gorgeous Yalda Hacim and Lucy Hocking still appear on our screens BBC World News would not be worth the bother. I expect both these 2 delights will be replaced any time soon by a couple of old and fat frumps completely devoid of sex appeal.

Can't stand Lucy Hocking, I'm afraid. I well remember the occasion during a particularly significant event here in LOS a few years ago when she was the news anchor at the London end and Jonathan Head was reporting on said event from Bangkok. At the end of Head's report she took it upon herself to start interrogating him with all the delicacy and tact of a clod-hopping carthorse. Had Head risen to the bait (which, fortunately, he was far too wise to sensitivities here in LOS to do), he would probably have ended up banged up in solitary confinement in the Bangkok Hilton!

Edited by OJAS