I just got offered a teaching job for 30k baht a month salary.

jack71

It depends on how much you need the job, either swallow your pride and accept the offer in the expectation of getting a better salary later there or elsewhere, or stick to your guns.

IMO "after a while" is a very elastic concept, I would be insisting on a defined time period for your probation.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jack71 said:

I was at the top government primary school in my city and they were keen to recruit me after telling them that I'm a qualified teacher. This is the school that ALL parents want to send their kids. They have EP program and a Maths/Science program.

They said that due to the covid lockdown, they were finding it hard to recruit foreign teachers to the school. I asked the salary and they told me 30k a month. 

I was surprised because I remember a teacher from the school telling me a few yrs ago that they pay 40k a month. I think they noticed I was surprised about the low salary

and then said that after a while the salary can get increased. 

Surely its a supply / demand situation and if they are desperate they should just pay the higher salaries from the start?  30k a month is very low and I think its a 10 to 20 year old government salary level. 

I would like to earn above 40k a month to satisfy the requirements for permanent residency. 

cheers

Jack

I make that kind of money but was told that they only consider 80K + for PR, nowhere to find that requirement but been told after 17 years getting a "no" and "do not qualify"  year after year. Ubon Joe? 40 K is the minimum for people married on an non O.

On 3/6/2021 at 3:32 PM, jack71 said:

I was at the top government primary school in my city and they were keen to recruit me after telling them that I'm a qualified teacher. This is the school that ALL parents want to send their kids. They have EP program and a Maths/Science program.

Then they should be paying you more than 30k THB.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2021 at 4:03 PM, Mister T said:

If you are qualified with teacher license, 40k would be the minimum in an EP school. Do not believe the cr3p about increasing later.

Yeah.  40K minimum and a Work Permit prior to the first day of teaching.  In a contract.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

Going rate for who? NES? I would disagree. Not to mention being worth more for my services. Regarding Filipino teachers, I really could care less if they make less it's not my concern. But working in a government school you will have people who dislike you from the start due to making more money and often these are Filipinos or Africans.

Yeah there is a huge difference at least in my experience from private and government schools. Especially regarding professionalism, supporting a teacher, and the tendency to focus on issues not related to your teaching.

Actually true.  So bump you minimum starting wage to 45K.

• Like 1

When it comes to the stating desired salary, always enter "negotiable."

I know several hiring officials from different schools, and Covid has hit the education business hard. Some schools are laying off because parents can't afford tuition. Some schools are growing as parents need to send their kids somewhere. This is a very fluid year.

I recommend keeping your options open, apply everywhere you can, then decide what's best for you. For what it's worth, you are negotiating from a position of strength. Schools will soon be scrambling for teachers, it's that season.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, recom273 said:

If you don’t need the WP and visa then it’s worth looking around for online tutoring jobs, there are companies that only recruit qualified teachers.

I gather you need to do your lesson prep but the financial rewards are much better than working in a government school, if you are happy with 30K, you may only need to do one lesson a night online to get more pay than a Thai classroom.

If you have never worked in a government school before then you will be amazed by all the unnecessary bull attached to teaching.

If he's aiming to get Permanent Residency, additional to any monthly salary requirements then he will need a work Permit, continuing for at least 3 years and evidence that his Personal Thai taxation returns have been submitted and clearly for at least 3 years. And more.

If you're genuinely a qualified teacher, as in teaching qualification and license, you should be looking for a lot more than that.  We're talking private schools for more like 50-80k.

30k is low for a 3rd class unrelated degree and zero experience.

Are you Filipino or something?

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Like 1

Tell them that a school in China is offering you salary equal to 100,000  bht month...(which is normal).  However your future bride is Thai and you prefer to stay in Thailand.  So you must have 50,000 bht and housing.

If not accept, go to China where salary is much higher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1