I just got offered a teaching job for 30k baht a month salary.

jack71

12 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

That old chestnut again.

Your MOE "friend" was talking out of his %$*".

What do you know?

How long you been teaching here? How many people in the know do you know?

I wonder who is talking out of their essra?

If you can't counter-claim what I am saying... then stay in the side lines... seems like a good place for you.

On 3/6/2021 at 4:21 PM, Airalee said:

30k is the going rate.  You can always vote with your feet.  I’m sure the Filipino teachers would be ecstatic to get that amount.

There are many teachers including me that will be more than happy to get 30K per month. No lack of applicants there.

Edited by EricTh

7 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

PS look how many retired people there are in Thailand with retirement PENSIONS.

I bet not all 100% spent their life in a happy job?

Now if you want to gamble away old age with nothing to live on, good luck.

If you are SO HAPPY working as a teacher for 30,000 baht a month, Imagine with all that happiness, you live to be 90 years old?

Where is your retirement coming from and how long will it last?

Lots of assumptions there. Making yourself look rather foolish.

But, there you go. One of those "I got more money than you have" posts.

Those that have money tend not to boast about it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

What do you know?

How long you been teaching here? How many people in the know do you know?

I wonder who is talking out of their essra?

If you can't counter-claim what I am saying... then stay in the side lines... seems like a good place for you.

22 years teaching in Thailand. Annual visits to labour office, good conversations with the officials there.

You said that schools get 40k for a foreign teacher. No mention of "some", "many", "big", "small","city" or " country" schools.

That's how I know your comment is incorrect and the person telling you that is incorrect.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

There are many teachers including me that will be more than happy to get 30K per month. No lack of applicants there.

That’s what I suspected.  I find it interesting that we hear so much over the last year of people in just about every industry taking pay cuts, 401k and investment accounts taking dives, condo rentals at 30-50% off, discounts galore at restaurants, hotels etc but for some reason many think that it doesn’t apply to teachers.

Furthermore...when you say that there is no lack of applicants, I believe that this is one of those things that has kept teaching wages depressed here in Thailand for eons.  Everybody seems to want to teach *here*.  From my understanding, one can go teach in the Middle East and make many multiples of what they would make here.  If it’s just about the money, then why aren’t they rushing off to Saudi Arabia or Dubai?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

That’s what I suspected.  I find it interesting that we hear so much over the last year of people in just about every industry taking pay cuts, 401k and investment accounts taking dives, condo rentals at 30-50% off, discounts galore at restaurants, hotels etc but for some reason many think that it doesn’t apply to teachers.

Furthermore...when you say that there is no lack of applicants, I believe that this is one of those things that has kept teaching wages depressed here in Thailand for eons.  Everybody seems to want to teach *here*.  From my understanding, one can go teach in the Middle East and make many multiples of what they would make here.  If it’s just about the money, then why aren’t they rushing off to Saudi Arabia or Dubai?

Is the cost of living in Arab countries higher than Thailand?

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

Consumer Prices in Riyadh are 1.09% lower than in Bangkok (without rent)

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Riyadh are 13.99% lower than in Bangkok

Rent Prices in Riyadh are 43.50% lower than in Bangkok

Restaurant Prices in Riyadh are 50.84% higher than in Bangkok

Groceries Prices in Riyadh are 18.82% lower than in Bangkok

Local Purchasing Power in Riyadh is 178.34% higher than in Bangkok

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Probably is, but I really have no idea.  I think it’s the lack of cheap booze and women that make them less desirable than Thailand.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Consumer Prices in Riyadh are 1.09% lower than in Bangkok (without rent)

Consumer Prices Including Rent in Riyadh are 13.99% lower than in Bangkok

Rent Prices in Riyadh are 43.50% lower than in Bangkok

Restaurant Prices in Riyadh are 50.84% higher than in Bangkok

Groceries Prices in Riyadh are 18.82% lower than in Bangkok

Local Purchasing Power in Riyadh is 178.34% higher than in Bangkok

I wouldn’t have expected it to be that low.  Now I’m sure it’s the lifestyle that alters the supply/demand equation.

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Lots of assumptions there. Making yourself look rather foolish.

But, there you go. One of those "I got more money than you have" posts.

Those that have money tend not to boast about it.

What assumptions are you referring to?

Who is boasting about money?

Your answers seem a bit off topic.

The question was money for retirement.

It's pretty simple. Sooner or later everyone has to stop working.

6 hours ago, Airalee said:

There certainly is a lack of suitable western teachers for 40K a month (couldn't get one for my school last time they tried). I mean those with full 5year teachign licences. The rule to have a Bachelor degree in education, grad dip ed, or passed the 4 Thai exams and then get the 5 year licence has significantly reduced the pool of suitable applicants for schools. 20 years ago, plenty of western teachers were available. However, most did not have teaching qualificatons and generally didn't stick around long. Many schools now employ Philipinos as many have teaching qualifications from their country. 

Any western teachers left here are those with the proper qualifications and are getting considerably more than 30K a month in private or international schools. 

4 minutes ago, DavisH said:

There certainly is a lack of suitable western teachers for 40K a month

There has always been a lack of suitable western teachers here which is shown by the proficiency levels.  Probably the same <deleted>ty teachers in Saudi Arabia seeing that their proficiency level is so low too.  But the pay is much better.  So, maybe instead of complaining about the low pay in Thailand, the teachers should move to Saudi Arabia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English_Proficiency_Index

“Teachers in Saudi Arabia will often make anywhere between $2,600 - $4,000 USD per month.”

https://www.gooverseas.com/blog/teaching-english-in-saudi-arabia-salary

30,000 baht a month?  I'm assuming this is upcountry somewhere.  No way would you want that type of salary in Bangkok even if it included housing.  I'd be looking at a new school now if the one you are at won't bump your salary up to 40,000 baht.  

On 3/7/2021 at 5:23 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

Why would anyone work for such a low salary?  Maybe some straight-off-the-plane 20-something TEFLers (who fancy a go at maths) but surely a qualified teacher wouldn't go near it.

If you think your skills are too valuable for thai education find another job there are lots of others who don't look at the money most are just helping raise education standards & not here to live like emporers

5 hours ago, kazoo55 said:

If you think your skills are too valuable for thai education find another job there are lots of others who don't look at the money most are just helping raise education standards & not here to live like emporers

Come on.

A person needs a decent livable wage in any country.

No one in their right mind moves to Thailand to raise the educations standards, which by the way, have been grossly getting worse over the years.

All those years working for 30,000 baht will eventually come back to haunt you when it is time to retire.

Don't ever get confused a farang teacher is ever going to raise the education standards, when the government makes no investment in education year over year.

In case you haven't realized it, uneducated societies are the easiest for governments to get away with massive corruption and other ill deeds. Sound familiar?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

Come on.

A person needs a decent livable wage in any country.

No one in their right mind moves to Thailand to raise the educations standards, which by the way, have been grossly getting worse over the years.

All those years working for 30,000 baht will eventually come back to haunt you when it is time to retire.

Don't ever get confused a farang teacher is ever going to raise the education standards, when the government makes no investment in education year over year.

In case you haven't realized it, uneducated societies are the easiest for governments to get away with massive corruption and other ill deeds. Sound familiar?

You are generalising. Assuming too, but you have already shown your keeness to do that.

Whilst one teacher is unlikely to help raise education standards across the board, some could possibly make an impression. In my experiences it is more than likely that some students will benefit and appreciate the opportunity to benefit. If each foreign teacher could help 10 students, the levels will rise.

Your insistence that 30000 baht is impossible to live on.....I worked for that amount for a couple of years. I live in a house that is paid for, have a car that is paid for, motorcycles that are paid for, a wife working in a fairly decent job. Saving more than half of my 30k was a monthly occurence.

So, you see, some of the guys who earn 30k will be in better positions than others. Therefore, your generalizations that their futures are doomed are wide of the mark, generally.

8 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

You are generalising. Assuming too, but you have already shown your keeness to do that.

Whilst one teacher is unlikely to help raise education standards across the board, some could possibly make an impression. In my experiences it is more than likely that some students will benefit and appreciate the opportunity to benefit. If each foreign teacher could help 10 students, the levels will rise.

Your insistence that 30000 baht is impossible to live on.....I worked for that amount for a couple of years. I live in a house that is paid for, have a car that is paid for, motorcycles that are paid for, a wife working in a fairly decent job. Saving more than half of my 30k was a monthly occurence.

So, you see, some of the guys who earn 30k will be in better positions than others. Therefore, your generalizations that their futures are doomed are wide of the mark, generally.

You must have failed at math if you think you paid for all that on 30K a month and saved half the money. 

You saved a whopping US $6k a year? Holy cow.

Secondly, look up the word if.

Thailand won't ever change because of farang school teachers; no amount. 

Education has only got worse in Thailand year after year. 

Trying doing some research and look up the facts.

Spinning unrealistic stories is not helping anyone.

Please explain to all your students how they can buy a house, car, motorcycles on 30,000 baht a month. I am sure they would be very interested in that lesson.

I live reasonably comfortable in Isaan on just over 30k baht, though looking to get fully qualified and a higher wage soon.

Put aside just under 100k a year into savings

Live in a nice condo with gym and pool, can afford to eat and drink out every night. Room is cleaned and laundry done for a small fee. No bills or 1-year commitments to worry about. GF on a similar wage so doesn't need to be rented.

For comparison, I was living in London before on what worked out 85k a month after taxes.

House sharing with 3 random people in an ex-council flat, 1-year commitment. Gas, water, electric, tv license bills to worry about, housemates not willing to pay. No GF unless I wanted a fat one. Couldn't afford to eat out so had to cook myself in a sh!thole kitchen. Queuing to use the bathroom or do my laundry. 

Was spending more money than I was earning. So f'ing grim when thinking back to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

You must have failed at math if you think you paid for all that on 30K a month and saved half the money. 

You saved a whopping US $6k a year? Holy cow.

Secondly, look up the word if.

Thailand won't ever change because of farang school teachers; no amount. 

Education has only got worse in Thailand year after year. 

Trying doing some research and look up the facts.

Spinning unrealistic stories is not helping anyone.

Please explain to all your students how they can buy a house, car, motorcycles on 30,000 baht a month. I am sure they would be very interested in that lesson.

Many of my students would wipe the floor with you when it comes to reading and comprehension.

None have suffered from selective reading quite like you do.

Go back to my post and read ALL of it and not just the parts you want to read.

• Sad 1

30000 baht says a lot.  It says you will never retire back home (unless you have about 20 million stashed away, which is very unlikely or you wouldn't be making 30,000)...

it says you like to take orders and be controlled

it says you are worth 30000 a month

it says you have no financial goals

it says you must always work, and must always smile

it says you are like a backpacker, they get paid the same

it says you are forgettable

Low expectations and a low salary gets clowns

Nobody in the world will think you are successful.

and test scores have proven teachers here to be utter failures.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

30000 baht says a lot.  It says you will never retire back home (unless you have about 20 million stashed away, which is very unlikely or you wouldn't be making 30,000)...

and test scores have proven teachers here to be utter failures

Oh dear. Such a generalization. 

I'm sure many expat teachers and over 75% of the Thai population will be curious of how you describe them, especially as you have never met them.

1 hour ago, Ventenio said:

and test scores have proven teachers here to be utter failures.  

i'm not sure the original poster was asking about the prospect of working for 30k a month until they retire

it's a good starting point to get some classroom experience and most importantly, get the visa.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

i'm not sure the original poster was asking about the prospect of working for 30k a month until they retire

it's a good starting point to get some classroom experience and most importantly, get the visa.

Classroom experience that is only good for working in Thailand and a VISA. Which amounts to years wasted.

The rest of the modern world has credentials for teaching, like a four year teaching degree.

Without the proper credentials, experience in Thailand is worthless.

10 hours ago, clarky cat said:

I live reasonably comfortable in Isaan on just over 30k baht, though looking to get fully qualified and a higher wage soon.

Put aside just under 100k a year into savings

Live in a nice condo with gym and pool, can afford to eat and drink out every night. Room is cleaned and laundry done for a small fee. No bills or 1-year commitments to worry about. GF on a similar wage so doesn't need to be rented.

For comparison, I was living in London before on what worked out 85k a month after taxes.

House sharing with 3 random people in an ex-council flat, 1-year commitment. Gas, water, electric, tv license bills to worry about, housemates not willing to pay. No GF unless I wanted a fat one. Couldn't afford to eat out so had to cook myself in a sh!thole kitchen. Queuing to use the bathroom or do my laundry. 

Was spending more money than I was earning. So f'ing grim when thinking back to it.

What you are really saying is you have no assets of your own.

You are saving US $3,000 a year? 

Your net worth is limited to your savings.

No credit, no ability to borrow money.

How much is your health insurance every month?