Post office sub-contracting

recom273

Recently anything bigger than a letter has been delivered by a courier, J&T express - so it appears the post office is subbing out it’s parcels, the service has been pretty good, deliveries from aliexpress arrive a lot quicker. The wife ordered some cosmetics from

facebook, sent from within Thailand, they arrived with a J&T sticker over the original post office sticker.

One thing that frustrates me is all these new random couriers calling me up and asking where the house is, then after a bit of explanation they show up 30 mins later (do they only do 16 drops a day?) and insist on hitting their horn to get me to come downstairs instead of just throwing it over the gate and driving off. So I really appreciate couriers who have a regular route and know their customers. So far, so good with J&T.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Personally, whenever I see JT AFTER I have ordered something I then wish I hadnt ! In my experience they are the worst. That said, just another example of inconsistencies in Thailand. You are fortunate they have a good service in your area, mine, not so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Personally, whenever I see JT AFTER I have ordered something I then wish I hadnt ! In my experience they are the worst. That said, just another example of inconsistencies in Thailand. You are fortunate they have a good service in your area, mine, not so much.

I have the same experience with “best” - who clearly aren’t.

But anyway, I was more suggesting that the post office has had a shake up, rather than pay the hundreds of post office workers with their pensions after 40 years in, that they realise it’s more economical to subcontract.

I also noticed our postman who for the past 10 years passes our place at 10.30 without fail now rushes past at random times in the afternoon and I dont see the EMS guy at all ( he is totally useless, just delivers my parcels to random addresses and signs himself)

Maybe they could do the same with the brown uniforms down at immigration and go online?

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

I have the same experience with “best” - who clearly aren’t.

But anyway, I was more suggesting that the post office has had a shake up, rather than pay the hundreds of post office workers with their pensions after 40 years in, that they realise it’s more economical to subcontract.

I also noticed our postman who for the past 10 years passes our place at 10.30 without fail now rushes past at random times in the afternoon and I dont see the EMS guy at all ( he is totally useless, just delivers my parcels to random addresses and signs himself)

Maybe they could do the same with the brown uniforms down at immigration and go online?

I believe alot if not all overseas stuff is handled by DHL and other couriers now too, due to lack of airlines etc.

As for immigration, geez, dont get me started....5555

• Haha 1

On 3/7/2021 at 9:26 AM, recom273 said:

My experience is a bit different. I don't live around Bkk. Our local post office became overwhelmed a couple of years ago by parcels and boxes from online shopping. They decided to completely stop delivering ordinary mail (the envelopes) and focus on the parcels only. They have since hired a lot more staff to deliver stuff, but still does not deliver ordinary mail, other than the odd bill a year late or so. We have to go to the various offices to pay our bills. The various local delivery services like Kerry etc. all know the addresses and have their routes, they usually call in advance just to check if anybody is home to receive the delivery. Registered mail is still delivered reliably (touch wood):)

Edited by AlQaholic

On 3/7/2021 at 9:26 AM, recom273 said:

Recently anything bigger than a letter has been delivered by a courier, J&T express - so it appears the post office is subbing out it’s parcels, the service has been pretty good, deliveries from aliexpress arrive a lot quicker. The wife ordered some cosmetics from

facebook, sent from within Thailand, they arrived with a J&T sticker over the original post office sticker.

One thing that frustrates me is all these new random couriers calling me up and asking where the house is, then after a bit of explanation they show up 30 mins later (do they only do 16 drops a day?) and insist on hitting their horn to get me to come downstairs instead of just throwing it over the gate and driving off. So I really appreciate couriers who have a regular route and know their customers. So far, so good with J&T.

just off chance, are you sure the package didn’t originate with JT and just used a Thai Post box/package? 

56 minutes ago, new2here said:

just off chance, are you sure the package didn’t originate with JT and just used a Thai Post box/package? 

No, just plain old brown boxes, grey plastic bag, whatever.

I order quite a bit from AliExpress, it’s not uncommon for the postman to deliver something every day from China.

Suddenly the postman stopped bringing the little black and grey bags with components from China, and J&T seem to have taken over, but then the wife started to receive parcels from the same courier, which is strange because they don’t have a drop-in shop in the area, we are flooded with Kerry shops.

It’s no biggie, just an observation. I noticed that the service was good. The has to be a point in time where these state run services (presuming Thaipost is state owned) look to private companies to take over deliveries, but as another poster says, it may be that DHL uses its planes to transport cargo and subcontracts to the courier.

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

That would be totally stupid as they don't know if the content can take that hit.

Ahhh, we have a motorbike sidecar close to the gate, the regular guys all know, they just toss parcels onto it and toot their horn, the regular guys are great, never any breakages,

Anyhow, it’s mostly small plastic bags, I’m sure they have been dropped and thrown all the way from China, no need to worry. 

I just had a computer motherboard delivered, he passed it through the gate, place it on the floor and give it a shove to slide it out of arms reach. I think, now we have had a few years of online shopping here, most companies like advice, Banana, JBL and monkey all know how to pack their gear so that it arrives in one piece.