Swede admits to running multi million dollar investment fraud from a villa on Koh Chang

rooster59

23 minutes ago, Thujone said:

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Karlsson admitted that he used the website to invite potential investors to purchase shares of the plan for less than $100 per share, promising an eventual payout of 1.15 kilograms of gold per share, an amount of gold which as of Jan. 2, 2019, was worth more than $45,000.  

If those figures aren't a red flag, I don't know what is.

I'd have asked him if I could invest $10 for $4,500 worth of gold, just to test the idea out.

people are gullible and believe anything, and yes, "too good to be true" is not a red flag for them

see the bitcoins and $GME mania as prime example of crowd stupidity ????

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Karlsson admitted that he used the website to invite potential investors to purchase shares of the plan for less than $100 per share, promising an eventual payout of 1.15 kilograms of gold per share, an amount of gold which as of Jan. 2, 2019, was worth more than $45,000.

Yep a sound as a pound investment... NOT.

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Instead, the funds provided by victims were transferred to Karlsson’s personal bank accounts

Not the most sophisticated boiler room operator around, was he? Those who actually know how to scam gullible pensioners and launder the proceeds are still doing big business in Thailand, with protection at the highest level.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Not the most sophisticated boiler room operator around, was he? Those who actually know how to scam gullible pensioners and launder the proceeds are still doing big business in Thailand, with protection at the highest level.

For example?

20 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Well if they have protection at the highest level, it's not a good idea to name them is it? But you've probably drunk in a bar that is in fact a laundry.

Yeah, if you told me you'd have to kill me, right?

2 hours ago, hashmodha said:

“Pre Funded Reversed Pension Plan”..????????????????????????????.... There is no such thing on this planet!..... Hmmmmm

Is that like Milliways?

Reservations are easily obtained, since they can be booked once the patron returns to his or her original time after their meal, and the restaurant's bill can be paid by depositing a penny in any bank account of the present time: by the end of the universe, the compound interest on that penny over the course of time after 170 quintillion years (short scale) will be enough to pay the extremely high bill. 

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Milliways

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Well if they have protection at the highest level, it's not a good idea to name them is it? But you've probably drunk in a bar that is in fact a laundry.

Ah, I must have been really drunk!  I wondered why my beer tasted like washing machine softener liquid!!

2 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

Many years ago I dated a girl from a gogo bar in WS. The owner was a ~70 year old German guy, who lived in Germany.

When he came to Thailand on holiday, he would bring bags full of cash money with him, and have them stored in his hotel room.

31 minutes ago, Susco said:

Many years ago I dated a girl from a gogo bar in WS. The owner was a ~70 year old German guy, who lived in Germany.

When he came to Thailand on holiday, he would bring bags full of cash money with him, and have them stored in his hotel room.

Yeah, it is expensive to own a go-go.

11 hours ago, rooster59 said:

About as believable as Nigerian prince wanting to hand me over 300 million (three hundred million!) dollars...

I would never call him a "criminal"

Much rather, he is a GENIUS

we get frauded every other day by our corrupted government individuals and yet never complain

I wouldn't call the people who participated in his schemes, "victims" 

I would call them fools 

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

Money is for spending, not investing. The trick is to get the balance right between self-sacrifice (work) and self-indulgence (consumption). Those who work so hard as to make more money than they care to spend have no concept of the meaning of life. This guy was arguably doing society a valuable service, if only society knew it.

Some get the greatest  pleasure in life from making it and nothing else  matters.

1 hour ago, polpott said:

At one time, the whole of NEP.

I believe they still do. They are the complete untouchables in Thailand, so much money they can buy off anyone. Of course this came from ripping off people all over the world in boiler room scams

Plenty on Reddit and other forums

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Which ones?

Like I stated before it is common knowledge amongst the Bangkok expat community. I have been a Bangkok expat since 1990, so I knew several of the owners and 'investors' personally and can confirm they used their bars to launder money stolen from British and Aussie pensioners through boiler rooms. 

You'll have to do your own research to find out the names.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Like I stated before it is common knowledge amongst the Bangkok expat community. I have been a Bangkok expat since 1990, so I knew several of the owners and 'investors' personally and can confirm they used their bars to launder money stolen from British and Aussie pensioners through boiler rooms. 

You'll have to do your own research to find out the names.

That's what I thought, thanks.

15 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

I would never call him a "criminal"

Much rather, he is a GENIUS

we get frauded every other day by our corrupted government individuals and yet never complain

I wouldn't call the people who participated in his schemes, "victims" 

I would call them fools 

very clever man and balls I say. also very well thought out but a big player so got caught. I'm sure we all know of smaller type scammers that if put together would add up and add up to more

6 minutes ago, Jeffro008 said:

very clever man and balls I say. also very well thought out but a big player so got caught. I'm sure we all know of smaller type scammers that if put together would add up and add up to more

Yes, apparently it's common knowledge. Everyone but me knows all these scammer/boiler-room people, and no one will tell me who they are!