How many folks have had a motorbike accident

watgate

1.  Village:  Hit buy 2 girls on scooter who swerved into my lane on a corner.

They fled. 3000baht damage to my bike.

2.  N Thailand:  Hit by lady on Wave who swerved right from hard shoulder into lane 1.

500baht damage to ceeber; road rash & bruising.  She fled.

3.  Hit from behind by drunk Thai lad. He broke his arm & concussion. Slight damage to papa & bike. papa fled.

4.  Knocked down on soi Bukauw by lady in car.  Bike scratched, papa fled.

5-10  down 2º rain or sand on road.

11-50+. Dirt bike dumps.

6 hours ago, Crossy said:

Some may recall me posting a while back when I knocked an old dear off her bicycle (dark, ghost-riding, no lights).

I nearly got her again today, almost exactly the same situation (she thought better of crossing in front of me this time). Dark (5.20AM), still ghost-riding, no lights, dark clothing and this time she was hiding in the shadows too.

Buy her a clamp-on light & some batteries.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

Mines was pretty serious and required 3 weeks in ICU.
I've riden my PCX in Bangkok for 8 years and never had as much as a scratch until one morning when I was driving into work and coming to the Asoke intersection. Another moped driver came out of the traffic to my right and just started drifting towards me. I was hedged against the kerb and too late realised he was going to crash into me (not sure if he was on something but it was 0900 in the morning). I broke suddenly and although I missed him crashing into me, the truck that was driving far too close behind me hit me sqaure on and catapulted me into a tree.

I was taken to hospital and 4 litres of blood were pumped out of my right lung, I had lacerations to my stomach and lower intestines, my ankle was a mess of blood and scraped skin and I was bruised from my kneck all the way down my left side. All in all it wasn't pretty.

It took me 6 months to fully recover but even now my ankle looks like it belongs to someone else. I suppose I can count myself lucky that I'm here to tell the tale but it just goes to show that the majority of incidents you will ever find yourself on in Thailand are rarely your fault but rather the fault of some other idiot who puts you in the hospital.

P.S. Both motorcyclists and van driver sped away from the scene, never to be heard from again.

Ouch !!!....     

I find it the other motorcyclists who present the greatest danger when on the roads here. 

Your example of ‘another bike pulling out and drifting across into you’ to be very common, its happened to me a lot. 

I find myself having to ride incredible defensively, either accelerating to impose my position in front of them, or easing off to give them space in front of me, the issue with easing off is that another couple of motorcyclists pull up into both my left and right blindspots or pull up next to me and block any escape route I have for poor road surface, drains etc... 

’Some’ of the other motorcyclists really make life dangerous for us... it could be tool on his delivery scooter, a Win rider or a granny on a beaten up wave... they all seem to place themselves ‘perfectly’ incorrectly and compromise your road position at every single opportunity....   I find the best way of handling this is to try to accelerating out ahead of the pack, but that itself comes with its own risks of vehicles hedging their beds and pulling out in front of you. 

2 minutes ago, papa al said:

Buy her a clamp-on light & some batteries.

The new bike she got off my insurance from the first incident had lights.

No idea if they are still fitted, they certainly were not operating (for that matter I don't know if the still has the new bike, her old one wasn't badly bent).

On 3/7/2021 at 4:50 AM, watgate said:

I told my wife after we finish building the house I will looking to get a 3 wheeled bike. I don't feel comfortable anymore on a 2 wheel conventional motorbike and I would feel more safe on a 3 wheeled bike.

Having more wheels won't save you. If you don't concentrate on the road, you're heading for a fall, car, bike or trike - especially in Thailand where anything can happen, and happen in a split second.

Never had an accident on my bike in Thailand but came very close to a serious one in 2019.  I took my eyes off the traffic in front for a second at high speed, thinking I'd seen a friend's car turning into a PTT. When my eyes returned to the road, the traffic in front had stopped - thank god my bike has ABS or I could have a 'Toyota' shaped scar on my forehead.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 3/7/2021 at 5:41 AM, BritManToo said:

In time we will all become that stupid old lady.

You take the castration, me I will retain the wedding tackle and become a stupid old man.....At present I'm an intelligent old man.......????

In my opinion three-wheeld bikes are more dangerous than two-wheeled ones because of the added risk to overturn when dodging or cornering. Getting one with large wheels instead of small ones does add some safety.

Here a post with lots of good pratical tips for driving safely in Thailand: Traffic rules in Thailand and how to avoid traffic accidents

Example: "While an international driver's Range of Responsibility is 360 degrees, the Thai driver's practical Range or Responsibility is at most about half of that."

range-responsibility-41.jpg

• Like 1

Have had several. They invariably involve someone pulling out of a junction and not seeing me.

Although did have one where someone opened the door without looking of their parked car to get out right in front of me.

I was on my Honda Phantom accelerating to about 50 Kph to pass a rusty old pick-up truck.  The next thing I knew, I was standing in a ditch and the guys that were in the back of the pick-up were handing me my broken sunglasses and wrist watch.  There was an ambulance was parked across the street.  I was directed to get in for a ride to get some x-rays and found the motorcycle key in my pocket when I got to the hospital.  I didn’t break any bones but it took over 3 weeks for all the pain to go away and cost me 3500 to fix my motorcycle.  The pick-up truck had evidently made an extremely sharp turn and I rammed it broadside, but have no recollection of the accident. 

In Thailand or anywhere ? I have ridden bikes off and on for decades. A couple bad accidents but all involved were off road. I have managed to avoid the many thousands of car drivers intent on killing me over the years,although a guy on a horse float decades ago pulling right across the road (didn't indicate, didn't see me just wanted to do a u-turn and completely blocked the road) had me lay it down at speed and slide under him (only got a scratch on my hand as I wore through the leather glove)  This was all on big bikes, from 1000cc to the smallest being 650cc. no on a the ubiquitous  scooters  in SE Asia.

Ah me and bikes. Where do I start?

My first bike accident was back in Oz. Heading to the dentist after work on my Duc SF848 minding my own business when an 80 year old lady turn in front of me at a green light. I punched her SUV right in the B pillar and came to a stop instantly from 60ish km/h.  

When I woke up 2 weeks later I’d fractured my skull and suffered a subdural haematoma and had obtained an acquired brain injury. I had also lost the use of my left arm due to a brachial plexus injury (29hrs of surgery) left with just the use of my left hand. Fractured my neck, fractured two vertabrae, fractured my left knee and ankle. Tore a hole in my lung which filled my chest with blood, that did its best job to stop my heart beating. 
Bruised my pancreas, ruptured my spleen and tore my stomach which produce a particularly nasty hernia (9hrs of surgery to correct that one)

4 or so years of surgeries, rehab, psychologists and therapy for PTSD, living with a brain injury and dealing with life long disabilities and here I stand. 
Almost on the 3rd anniversary of the event I bought another Ducati Streetfighter. Same model, same year, same colour ????

I crashed a scooter in Thailand during that time also. Grazed knee and a nice egg on my head, nothing too serious. Again someone pulling out on me. 

when I relocated to Thailand I bought another Ducati Streetfighter (I’ve got a serious obsession obviously) 

Accident 1 happened on the Highway 7 service road on my way back from BKK. I was tootling along in the right side lane when a lady pulled out to overtake a truck with no regard for checking her mirrors. At the speed I was doing I had no chance to stop so I had a choice of hitting her directly in the rear and most likely getting run over by the vehicles behind or trying to thread the gap between her car and the barrier. 
After bouncing off her car and the barrier for what felt like minutes I stayed upright but nearly lost my pinky finger. 2 fractured bones and 14 stitches later 

Ducati Accident 2 I was coming over a blind crest on a hill on a 2 way road, and as I came over the top I was faced with two buses, one over taking the other taking up the entire road. Managed to slide between them both but clipped one half way down and hit the deck. Sever bruising and a little bit of skin off. No real harm done then ????

In regards to your accident it sounds like inexperience and lack of concentration was your main problem, something A 3 wheeled bike won’t fix. If anything feeling ‘safer’ will actually give your mind more time to wander. The only fix is seat time and getting your mind right Before you step on a bike. 

Best of luck in the further. Stay safe! 

EC211D28-AE13-412C-8C6F-D3A6A8DF646C.jpeg

FBD71A08-BF31-4EDC-8432-1532705BB542.jpeg

756758DC-8747-4D91-8EBB-D0CC282AE50F.jpeg

E2001FB6-0CBA-4EE1-85B7-2887A0038A38.jpeg

Mad Muhammad your story sent chills up my spine. All that you have been through and you live to fight another day. I am amazed with folks like yourself who have such a fierce determination to never give up no matter how badly they have been injured. Your perseverance is incredibly impressive and kudos  to you for all you have been subjected to and your unwavering desire to press on. Your advice is much appreciated and makes a lot of sense and I thank you for it. Good luck in your future rides and keep the faith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, watgate said:

Mad Muhammad your story sent chills up my spine. All that you have been through and you live to fight another day. I am amazed with folks like yourself who have such a fierce determination to never give up no matter how badly they have been injured. Your perseverance is incredibly impressive and kudos  to you for all you have been subjected to and your unwavering desire to press on. Your advice is much appreciated and makes a lot of sense and I thank you for it. Good luck in your future rides and keep the faith.

Some people say I have a death wish but I see it as just refusing to let fear rule my life. Accidents happen whether they be our fault or not. I love riding and will do so until the day I no longer can. 
Thank you for your kind and understanding words. Don’t give up and  it shiny side up mate ????

On 3/7/2021 at 12:55 PM, GreasyFingers said:

Simple rule: if you ride a bike you will have an accident. Had many over the years but fortunately nothing serious apart from a few stitches in the knee when a dog thought he had right of way but was too slow crossing the road.

A few years back when I had a PCX, I was riding along when the bike went out of control and I came off it, I was riding very slowly, there were no other traffic, or people or even animals involved. the bike wasn't even damaged, I just picked the bike up and carried on.

After I got home I got the bike checked over by a local mechanic, and then by a Honda dealer, both said there was nothing wrong with the bike.

I have done many road trips in the 15 years I have been here, never had any mishaps or even any near misses, and that's riding in Bangkok, Pattaya, and up in Isaan.

7 hours ago, possum1931 said:

A few years back when I had a PCX, I was riding along when the bike went out of control and I came off it, I was riding very slowly, there were no other traffic, or people or even animals involved. the bike wasn't even damaged, I just picked the bike up and carried on.

After I got home I got the bike checked over by a local mechanic, and then by a Honda dealer, both said there was nothing wrong with the bike.

I have done many road trips in the 15 years I have been here, never had any mishaps or even any near misses, and that's riding in Bangkok, Pattaya, and up in Isaan.

My lucky moment was riding down New South Head Road to Bondi (Sydney Australia and a very busy road) and hit an oil slick on a bend. Slid right across the road until I hit the opposite kerb. Picked up the bike and continued home only because there was no oncoming traffic at that very time.

• Like 1

Back around 1977/78 on the outskirts of Loei town there was a T-intersection.  I was going straight but a couple kids on a Honda 90 ran a stop sign right across the main road to Chiang Khan.  They came out from the far side of a stopped box truck (in the wrong lane).  Suddenly there they were.    I hit the brakes but I had a full sack of charcoal behind me on my Suzuki TS125 enduro.  I aimed for the spot between their legs and hit it.

I have no idea how fast I was going (30-40 kph?), but it was enough to stop the bike and launch me over the handlebars and I landed on the down slope of a ditch. My best Superman impression ever.

Bike was a tiny bit tweaked, I was OK but shaken. They straightened a foot peg, tweaked the front wheel to point straight and gave me a push in the direction of town. Next day, about one of each unique body part was sore as hell. I did have a good Bell helmet and long pants/boots/long sleeved shirt.  It was an easy landing all considered.

On one vacation trip back, we saw the aftermath of three fatal motorcycle accidents in three weeks, and we weren't on the road very much.