Returning with COE - Retirement Extension - OA

Hi I'm looking for updates here.  Are people being successful getting a Certificate of Entry (COE) based on an extension of stay based on a Non-Imm OA visa (as opposed to a fresh visa)?  I’ve heard reports of some who did last year. 

I’m Canadian and have such an extension, which expires in Feb 2022.  Also have a multiple re-entry permit expiring same date.  I’m in Thailand now, and want to visit Canada.  Looking ahead at the requirements for returning to Thailand.  The Thai embassy in Ottawa website says holders of OA visas can get a COE but says nothing about holders of extensions.  Logic suggests extensions should qualify just as visas do but I don't want to make assumptions.

your Logic is correct, but using logic is dangerous for LOS, my retirement extension of stay expires Sept 2021, so I’m hoping to use that to return without getting a NEW visa, however I’ve read if you have an extension you will need to show OA health insurance as well as $100k covid 19 insurance, so it may be cheaper to go back to LOS with a new tourist visa .

3 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks, I already have health insurance from Aetna Thailand that meets those coverage amounts and covers Covid (also have a letter from Aetna saying it covers Covid).  I assume that suffices for the "separate Health Insurance Policy"?

As always double and triple check

Unfortunately, my company health insurance is not on the list

So I’m unsure what to do.

2 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks, I already have health insurance from Aetna Thailand that meets those coverage amounts and covers Covid (also have a letter from Aetna saying it covers Covid).  I assume that suffices for the "separate Health Insurance Policy"?

It should be accepted but the policy would have to have $100,000 US of covid 19 insurance.

More info is here on the Ottawa embassy website. https://ottawa.thaiembassy.org/en/content/119628-thailand-visa-and-coe?cate=5f069ee272a783584326eaf5

27 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

IF you can wait few more months, all will be much easier

I may not be able to wait.  And I wonder how you can be confident it will be easier.  I had the same hopes last year but this question of extensions vs. visas seems to have fallen between the tracks of the official posts/rules and I have some doubt they're going to update the embassy sites or anything expressly on "extensions".  So I'm just hoping that in practice they will accept extensions and am looking for anybody with positive experience.

I had the same hopes last year but this question of extensions vs. visas seems to have fallen between the tracks of the official posts/rules and I have some doubt they're going to update the embassy sites or anything expressly on "extensions".

On the embassy website it mentions re-entry permits. Click the link I posted.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It should be accepted but the policy would have to have $100,000 US of covid 19 insurance.

More info is here on the Ottawa embassy website. https://ottawa.thaiembassy.org/en/content/119628-thailand-visa-and-coe?cate=5f069ee272a783584326eaf5

Thanks I do have that coverage.  But I note that website link does not say anything about extensions (although it does allow retirement "visas".  That's my concern.

@ubonjoe 

In a slightly separate question, would I be able to enter LOS holding a valid extension, without wanting to use it.

Or would it be best if I used my 2nd passport which I use for frequent traveling

I don’t want to buy another health insurance; I already have a company health insurance however its not listed on the Long Stay insurance link

Just now, TerraplaneGuy said:

I may not be able to wait.  And I wonder how you can be confident it will be easier.  I had the same hopes last year but this question of extensions vs. visas seems to have fallen between the tracks of the official posts/rules and I have some doubt they're going to update the embassy sites or anything expressly on "extensions".  So I'm just hoping that in practice they will accept extensions and am looking for anybody with positive experience.

i also have problems understanding how the COE works...they require to book a flight and a hotel BEFORE getting the COE, but what if they do not approve the COE? than the loss is huge .

i tried to investigate the site below, but seems more concerned with suing the applicant than with helping him understand :

https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/create?country=BRA&conoffice=BRA&type=1114

4 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Thanks I do have that coverage.  But I note that website link does not say anything about extensions (although it does allow retirement "visas".  That's my concern.

this is from your Ottowa website

https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/pFxDf7ZYQ7/ไฟล์เอกสาร/VISAS-COE/H1_-_For_Thailand_long_stayretirement_visa_(O-A___O-X).docx.pdf

Effective October 31, 2019 it is required to have health insurance in order to apply for an OA visa 1. the applicant must be medically insured for the entire period of stay in Thailand with the following coverage: o Outpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than 40,000 THB, and o Inpatient benefit with a sum insured of not less than 400,000 THB

If you click H1 on the page it takes you to a file. That states this.

"If you already have valid visa or re-entry permit, please apply for a COE online. Kindly visit this link https://ottawa.thaiembassy.org/en/content/thailand-s-coeregistration-guideline-for-air-trav?cate=5f069ee272a783584326eaf5"

6 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i also have problems understanding how the COE works...they require to book a flight and a hotel BEFORE getting the COE, but what if they do not approve the COE? than the loss is huge .

They only deny them if you cannot provide the required supporting documents.

11 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

On the embassy website it mentions re-entry permits. Click the link I posted.

I don't see any mention of that on the main page of your link but when I click the item for retirement visas it goes to a page that says "If you already have valid visa or re-entry permit, please apply for a COE online."  Is that what you are referring to?  My concern here is that it still says nothing about extensions and I don't know what the "or" is supposed to mean.  Surely not everyone with a re-entry permit (regardless of visa type, etc.) is allowed to get a COE?  As you know, the permit doesn't itself say anything about visa category.   I am guessing the "or" is sloppy drafting and maybe they mean "and" ... who knows?

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you click H1 on the page it takes you to a file. That states this.

"If you already have valid visa or re-entry permit, please apply for a COE online. Kindly visit this link https://ottawa.thaiembassy.org/en/content/thailand-s-coeregistration-guideline-for-air-trav?cate=5f069ee272a783584326eaf5"

Sorry this forum is very slow for me today so our posts crossed.  See my post above about the link you mention.

27 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

yes, but some of those documents are the flight and hotel booking  , and i have to pay

for them before getting them....

Not quite true. You can book an ASQ through Agoda which has 100% refund for cancellation at any time for any reason up to one day before arrival. 

For flights: You can book a fully refundable ticket, or book one which you can date change for a small fee.

1 hour ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

The Thai embassy in Ottawa website says holders of OA visas can get a COE but says nothing about holders of extensions.  Logic suggests extensions should qualify just as visas do but I don't want to make assumptions.

No issues whatsoever.... I have recently received my CoE to return to Thailand on an extensions (based on Non-Imm O Marriage).

CoE process is easy now - quite simple, just a matter of getting the bookings & insurance. 

36 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

I don't see any mention of that on the main page of your link but when I click the item for retirement visas it goes to a page that says "If you already have valid visa or re-entry permit, please apply for a COE online."  Is that what you are referring to?  My concern here is that it still says nothing about extensions and I don't know what the "or" is supposed to mean. 

Yes I am referring to that line.

A re-entry permit is issued for a extension of stay. The didn't state what the re-entry permit could be issued for since it can also be issued for for a permit to stay from a visa.

47 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

i tried to investigate the site below, but seems more concerned with suing the applicant than with helping him understand :

https://coethailand.mfa.go.th/regis/create?country=BRA&conoffice=BRA&type=1114

You may be over thinking it.. its fairly simple... 

Prep the necessary documents: 

1) Flight booking

2) ASQ booking

3) Insurance document

4) Visa

5) Accompanying documents (i.e. Marraige cert or Birth cert if going that route)

On the MFA website. 

1) Register & Submit Visa and ID documents and Insurance.

2) Receive Registration Code (via e-mail)

3) Log-in to MFA website with Registration Code and submit travel / ASQ documents / Insurance

4) Receive CoE via E-mail

It took a couple of hours from registration to receiving CoE (but can take longer - 2 weeks is recommended minimum time before travel to submit an application).

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes I am referring to that line.

A re-entry permit is issued for a extension of stay. The didn't state what the re-entry permit could be issued for since it can also be issued for for a permit to stay from a visa.

Sorry I'm  not sure what your last phrase means ("issued for a permit to stay from a visa") but are you saying that you read them to mean that any re-entry permit is good, regardless of the basis for its issuance (category of original visa/extension)?

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No issues whatsoever.... I have recently received my CoE to return to Thailand on an extensions (based on Non-Imm O Marriage).

CoE process is easy now - quite simple, just a matter of getting the bookings & insurance. 

Great to hear - what country's embassy issued your COE?

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

(but can take longer - 2 weeks is recommended minimum time before travel to submit an application

thanks.

but you see, as you wrote in the end CAN TAKE UP TO TWO WEEKS....so how can i be sure

i get the COE if i book a flight for next week....???

1 minute ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Sorry I'm  not sure what your last phrase means ("issued for a permit to stay from a visa") but are you saying that you read them to mean that any re-entry permit is good, regardless of the basis for its issuance (category of original visa/extension)?

It could be a extension based upon retirement that the re-entry permit is issued for or for example the permit to stay from a OA visa. 

Archived