Returning with COE - Retirement Extension - OA

6 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:
13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

(but can take longer - 2 weeks is recommended minimum time before travel to submit an application

thanks.

but you see, as you wrote in the end CAN TAKE UP TO TWO WEEKS....so how can i be sure

i get the COE if i book a flight for next week....???

You can’t...    But you can be sure you won’t travel next week if you don’t try.

Book refundable ASQ and flights (or flights which you can change for a small fee), have the rest of your documents ready... 

Apply for your CoE..   its a minor gamble. 

Or, book more than two weeks in advance. 

9 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

thanks.

but you see, as you wrote in the end CAN TAKE UP TO TWO WEEKS....so how can i be sure

i get the COE if i book a flight for next week....???

what i read is "Expected date of travel (If any)' so you don't have to book your flight, 

Health Insurance and COIVD 19 insurance are required, before proceeding with COE application 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can’t...    But you can be sure you won’t travel next week if you don’t try.

Book refundable ASQ and flights (or flights which you can change for a small fee), have the rest of your documents ready... 

Apply for your CoE..   its a minor gamble. 

Or, book more than two weeks in advance. 

when i flew last August, i was told NOT to book flights until COE is issued 

16 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Qatar

That’s my concern, from what I hear different embassies may well apply different rules.  I have yet to hear from a Canadian who got back in on a COE based on an extension of stay.  I may just have to chance it based on my original visa category (OA) and ubonjoe’s reading of the re-entry permit reference.  

9 minutes ago, bolt said:

Sure about that ???? Or was it, not to book flights until you have been told your ASQ is Approved, then you book flights and ASQ and submit them to the Embassy who upon receipt of ASQ booking and Flight confirmation release the Certificate of Entry. 

The MFA online system is now streamlined. 

1) Register and submit ID, Visas, insurance. 

2) Receive CoE Pre-approval with registration Code 

3) Submit travel documents (flight & ASQ)

4) Receive CoE

3 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

That’s my concern, from what I hear different embassies may well apply different rules.  I have yet to hear from a Canadian who got back in on a COE based on an extension of stay.  I may just have to chance it based on my original visa category (OA) and ubonjoe’s reading of the re-entry permit reference.  

You’ve nothing to lose...

Register on the MFA website - submit your Passport ID page, Visa Extension, Insurance documents. 

Await Pre-approval.

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You’ve nothing to lose...

Register on the MFA website - submit your Passport ID page, Visa Extension, Insurance documents. 

Await Pre-approval.

Well what I have to lose is they reject me and I have to start from scratch by applying for a new visa before even applying for the COE, despite already having a valid extension and re-entry permit.   That would be a lot of wasted time and a lot of paper.  And jumping through a lot of hoops with things like the bank deposit requirements, etc., all of which I’ve already had to do for my extension last month.  

Well what I have to lose is they reject me and I have to start from scratch by applying for a new visa before even applying for the COE, despite already having a valid extension and re-entry permit.  

Why do you think you would have to apply for a new visa? A re-entry permit is equal to having a visa.

Many people have entered already that had a extension of stay with a valid re-entry permit.

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Sure about that ???? Or was it, not to book flights until you have been told your ASQ is Approved, then you book flights and ASQ and submit them to the Embassy who upon receipt of ASQ booking and Flight confirmation release the Certificate of Entry. 

The MFA online system is now streamlined. 

1) Register and submit ID, Visas, insurance. 

2) Receive CoE Pre-approval with registration Code 

3) Submit travel documents (flight & ASQ)

4) Receive CoE

yes but it was last August, the Embassy booked the flight tickets.

I understand its all changed now 

I'm looking at going back to LOS May or June

35 minutes ago, TerraplaneGuy said:

Well what I have to lose is they reject me and I have to start from scratch by applying for a new visa before even applying for the COE, despite already having a valid extension and re-entry permit.   That would be a lot of wasted time and a lot of paper.  And jumping through a lot of hoops with things like the bank deposit requirements, etc., all of which I’ve already had to do for my extension last month.  

You are erecting your own stumbling blocks based on hearsay. 

Register for CoE (pre-approval) using your Visa Extension (and re-entry permit), passport ID page, Insurance document.

It really is that simple... 

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 11.16.11.png

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why do you think you would have to apply for a new visa? A re-entry permit is equal to having a visa.

Many people have entered already that had a extension of stay with a valid re-entry permit.

I never imagined that a re-entry permit is equal to a visa or an extension but maybe it is.  I'm thinking, if that is correct, why do we have to apply for an extension of stay as well as a re-entry permit, why not just the latter?  Or to put it another way, why don't they just issue us a fresh visa each year instead of the combination of an extension and also a re-entry permit?  It has always seemed odd to me that they separate the two documents, but in any event I had assumed that a re-entry permit in itself wouldn't be good enough for the COE because I thought they would want to establish the basis on which it was issued.  For example, what about some of the visa categories that don't qualify for the COE, like a sports visa.  If you were her on one of those visas (or an extension of one if it's possible to get) and got a re-entry permit, and then left the country and tried to get back on a COE, wouldn't they say, hey sports visa people don't qualify?  Notwithstanding your permit?  Because it's not a listed visa in the COE rules.  Or is it the case that they never issue re-entry permits for sports visa, or religious visas, i. e. visas that do not qualify for a COE, so the question couldn't arise?

Thanks, I never imagined before that a re-entry permit is equal to a visa or extension.  If it is, why would they make us apply for both an extension of stay and also a re-entry permit?  Why not only the latter?   I’m guessing what you mean is that the permit wouldn’t be issued unless there was a valid underlying visa/extension so in itself - although on its face it says nothing about that - it is proof that such a visa/extension exists.  Is that your view?   

You enter on a Visa. 

The visa approaches expiry, you apply for and are granted an extension of stay (12 months). 

You can remain in Thailand for 12 months on that extension of stay, and apply for another extension after 12 months. 

IF you leave wish to leave the country, you have to apply for permissions to return - a re-entry permit (either a single re-entry permit, or a multiple re-entry permit). 

The re-entry permit and extension of stay are different things. 

It can be confusing, I have worked in several countries who treat 12 month visa slightly differently, for example

• Some countries will issue you a visa and you can exit and renter as many times as you want
  • Some countries will issue you a visa and also a 2nd Multi exit re-entry page, as Thailand does
  • Some countries will issue you a visa and will only issue you singular exit permit which needs to be done 48 hours before you leave

22 hours ago, bolt said:

When I flew last November, I was told by embassy staffer (in person), "good thing you booked a flight, I will put you at the head of the line of 300 applicants"

This was in Beijing

19 minutes ago, toolpush said:

When I flew last November, I was told by embassy staffer (in person), "good thing you booked a flight, I will put you at the head of the line of 300 applicants"

This was in Beijing

When I flew in August it was a repatriation flight, and the embassy gave my name to the airline, the airline called me for payment details, so it was different then.

I still believe you don’t have to book your flight until the COE is issued, the only prerequisite is the COIVD insurance $100k

6 hours ago, bolt said:

When I flew in August it was a repatriation flight, and the embassy gave my name to the airline, the airline called me for payment details, so it was different then.

I still believe you don’t have to book your flight until the COE is issued, the only prerequisite is the COIVD insurance $100k

You can not be issued with a COE if you do not have a flight booked. The flight number and departure date and arrival date are stated on the COE.

You need to supply the Embassy with your flight booking before they will issue a COE.

You also have to have your ASQ booked as this is also included on your COE.

Archived