Too many things can go wrong

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The issue with the refund policies is not just related to the issuance of a CoE but also impacted by a Covid-19 test result. 

As I remember, all the hotels I checked back in October offered full refund if COE was rejected and/or if the covid test was positive.

I had to cancel my trip back then for another reason, and even though the hotel was not obliged to, they allowed me to postpone my trip. They could have kept the money.

I agree with what you wrote in other posts; it is much easier now than last year. Both because they have streamlined the proces and because they have opened for more visas and for visa exemption.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Somchair said:

then is there the risk that the hotel insists that you go into hospital quarantine even if the nurse/doctor cannot justify it as a medical necessity

That is not a risk as such; that wil surely happen. They have to send you to the hospital if you test positive.

2 hours ago, farang51 said:

That is not a risk as such; that wil surely happen. They have to send you to the hospital if you test positive.

Not out of medical necessity though, right? Just because the Thai regulations or whatnot say that they need to send you to hospital.

If they do it due to the regulations then the insurers won't cover it from what I can tell.

1 hour ago, farang51 said:

As I remember, all the hotels I checked back in October offered full refund if COE was rejected and/or if the covid test was positive.

I had to cancel my trip back then for another reason, and even though the hotel was not obliged to, they allowed me to postpone my trip. They could have kept the money.

I agree with what you wrote in other posts; it is much easier now than last year. Both because they have streamlined the proces and because they have opened for more visas and for visa exemption.

Many hotels do NOT offer fuIl refund if COE denied or Covid test positive. Most will allow you to rebook a later date at no charge if COE not granted. Some will allow you to rebook if Covid test positive. Many have specific time periods for rebooking without some sort of penalty.

I'm currently spending a lot of time researching this as I intend to come back within the next 4 weeks and have looked at over 30 hotels. I hesitate in booking my preferred choice of Anantara Riverside because they seem to have a very unfriendly policy. I'll email them in a couple of days to verify their policy for any changes. They and other ASQ hotels are starting to run specials (drop prices) so hotels might start being more reasonable. 

19 minutes ago, Somchair said:

Not out of medical necessity though, right? Just because the Thai regulations or whatnot say that they need to send you to hospital.

Correct.

19 minutes ago, Somchair said:

If they do it due to the regulations then the insurers won't cover it from what I can tell.

As far as I know, the one from TIP Insure should cover: https://covid19.tgia.org/

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Scott - I think we’re doubling up on the other thread you have been posting in.

The CoE application process is relatively risk free.

1) Register on the MFA website

- Submit Passport ID page / Visa document (or extensions) / Insurance document / Supporting documentation (marriage cert / Birth Cert if using that route)

2) Receive Pre-Approval E-mail

3) Submit final documentation

- Submit Travel documentation: Confirmation of flight Booking / *ASQ booking

*Book ASQ through Agoda (an additional level of protection with full refund up to one day before)

4) Receive CoE

5) Pre-Flight Covid-19 Test (>72 hrs before flight)

6) Pre-Flight Fit to Fly Cert (Medconsultasia - online consultation)

Travel to Thailand !... 

IF you test positive before arrival you can apply for CoE again using the same documents. 

You can change your ASQ booking and flights - the cost here may be change of flight bookings, but Agoda have the risk free ASQ booking. You obviously have the additional cost of further Covid-19 tests and fit to fly cert.

IF testing Positive in ASQ you will have to go to Hospital quarantine, even if you have no symptoms. Your Thai secured Insurance policy covering Covid-19 up to US$100,000 is geared up for this. 

Thanks for the info on Medconsultasia! The rapid Covid test location here in Florida wants $110 for that piece of superfluous paper. Have you used them or know anyone who has?

3 hours ago, Somchair said:

I can't imagine that there is an insurer anywhere that will cover this.

indeed no insurer will cover it, and according to my insurer, safety wings, this might

cause problems.

this requirement does not come from the hotels but from the government, if you land in thailand

and test positive to coronavirus, without any symptoms, you must go into hospitalization.

than, the cost might be on you.

Apparently Thailand has become stricter with the rules and is currently hospitalizing asymptomatic (no symptoms) people testing positive for COVID-19. People landing in Thailand from abroad will have to take an additional test, and if that is positive they’re sent to hospital. This might be an issue as travel/health insurance might not cover this hospitalization.

https://flattenthecurve.global/thailand

34 minutes ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Thanks for the info on Medconsultasia! The rapid Covid test location here in Florida wants $110 for that piece of superfluous paper. Have you used them or know anyone who has?

Tonnes of people from all over the world: for feedback search this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/298606387906884 (Dr Donna or medconsult). 

22 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

from information on this site, some embassies do not accept medconsult fit-to-fky certificate, while

some do.

Got a link? As per the other stories you've been listening to ("i heard few stories of people who did not get the FIT-TO-FLY document in the exact format, hence the COE was not approved") I guarantee they are <deleted> - FTF is for the airline/immigration, nothing to do with an Embassy, or obtaining a COE and is not asked for as uploaded documentation.

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Tonnes of people from all over the world: for feedback search this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/298606387906884 (Dr Donna or medconsult). 

JUST a quick look at the link you provided and i allready see new requirements and new

headechs.

for example, it says: DOCUMENTS PROVING PURPOSE OF ENTERING THAILAND...hey, this is new

to me. never heard this requirement before .

another example: print out the T,M, 8 form....whaaaaaat? what T.M.8 form? you see, this is thailand.

just when you think you got it all right, jumps another form and another document...and who will

pay for each mistake? you, of course, the sorry asz farang !!

image.png.157ecf61af26000a5b503a0a8df884a4.png

when i try to buy insurance from the site THAI GENERAL INSURANCE ASSOCIOATION i cannot

even find th category of my status, which is waiver visa.

they propably did not update the web site.

you might think i am too fuzzy, but it is those small things that can cause big losses, especially

when negotiating with insurance companies.

image.png.dd95de8bb86bfabf6ea4e2b25a9c4884.pngwhen i try to buy insurance

You appear to be talking yourself out of returning making mountains out of molehills.

People are successfully navigating the bureaucratic mess and landing in Thailand daily. The T8 has been a requirement since Covid raised it's head before COE etc. kicked in (it's an old form that they basically resurrected at the start of all this, most people don't know about it either and they hand them out on most flights along with the T6 apparently) e.g. https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/wp-content/uploads/T8-กต.-.pdf or you can even grab a fillable form from here on TV https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/631223-immigration-templates/?do=findComment&comment=11882320

Insurance, select Tourist and explain you are arriving visa exempt in your further correspondence with them. 

53 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Thanks! I've been a member of that group for a couple of week and been reading lots of posts and reviews. Seems at least a small group has used Dr. Donna and didn't have any difficulties.

1 hour ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

from information on this site, some embassies do not accept medconsult fit-to-fky certificate, while

some do.

of course that you will not have a way to know until 1-2 days before the flight...

There are wonderful sections of TV with highly knowledgeable people. Unfortunately there are also a lot of posters who don't know what they're talking about but insist on posting totally ludicrous info. 

I agree with Salerno that you seem to be looking for excuses to not travel.

I just read an article on Bloomberg that references the Bangkok Post mentioning that the quarantine will be reduced to 3 days next month for foreigners  visiting the top 5 tourist destinations in Thailand. No mention of the other requirements so it seems they will still be required.

3 minutes ago, SiamAndy said:

I just read an article on Bloomberg that references the Bangkok Post mentioning that the quarantine will be reduced to 3 days next month for foreigners  visiting the top 5 tourist destinations in Thailand. No mention of the other requirements so it seems they will still be required.

But be careful of what your read on Bkk Post etc.

There's been numerous BP articles which on a quick read could be taken as gov't. policy, but they are not, they are proposals and suggests, mostly from commercial interests who are pushing for anything that will bring a return to making revenues.  

On 3/7/2021 at 5:09 PM, user70 said:

After applying for special tourist visa then CoE, I don't think this is worth trying. So many headaches! Accomodation confirmation rejected, incorrect Transit date on my certificate of entry, major pain to get insurance, most physicians have no clue how to do a fit to fly certificate, getting a covid-19 test followed by the fit to fly certificate try to departure is very tight, if the flight get delayed then your covid-19 test may be more than 72 hours before departures, incoherent instructions to apply for the certificate of entry from different sources, embassy employees being indif if you miss your flight, overpriced accomodation for the ASQ etc. I've spent way too much time and money on this, which I could have better spent taking some vacation in a more friendly country (eg mexico). I created this profile on this forum to get some information to help me apply to the visa and CoE, and I've posted over 80 messages just because everything is so messed up. Not even counting several direct private messages, my dozen of calls to the embassy, etc. I've traveled to almost 100 countries and this is one of the worst experience I've had.

The older I get the less patience I have [never had much to begin with] for the bureaucratic dancing required for the normal procedures, without the hoops to jump through now required .I will wait it out and hope the vaccination passports bring some sense to the process.I plan on having my knee replacement done in the meantime anyway.

12 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

I really hope so... BUT.. considering we are seeing reports of a new plan every week from various politicians hungering for their moment in the media spotlight no one really has any idea what may or may not happen... 

A lot of talk, a lot of announcement, an awful lot of meaningless hot air with an awful lot of nothing !!!!! 

22 minutes ago, findlay13 said:

The older I get the less patience I have [never had much to begin with] for the bureaucratic dancing required for the normal procedures, without the hoops to jump through now required .I will wait it out and hope the vaccination passports bring some sense to the process.I plan on having my knee replacement done in the meantime anyway.

What will change with the vaccination passport ????

Unless every travel requirement is abolished there will always be a ‘hoop' to jump through... 

The CoE hoops are all family basic and streamlined... certainly much much simpler than a passport application or an extension of stay.... 

If making a ‘hoop jumping comparison’ the CoE ‘hoop’ is easier than renewing a Thai Driving licence.

50 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

What will change with the vaccination passport ????

Unless every travel requirement is abolished there will always be a ‘hoop' to jump through... 

The CoE hoops are all family basic and streamlined... certainly much much simpler than a passport application or an extension of stay.... 

If making a ‘hoop jumping comparison’ the CoE ‘hoop’ is easier than renewing a Thai Driving licence.

Nice use of the ????? .When I am in Thailand I go to the dept of Transport and renew my licence one stop shop.Same with an extension of stay. a Trip into immigration and sort it out..Easy. So your comparison isn't valid.The worst hoop of travel from Australia atm is getting an exit visa.A friend who has a Thai wife and child and lives in Thailand was recently refused an exit permit  for the purpose of joining his wife.He then got it by showing he'd spent more time out of the country than in it .I haven't.It'd be close but no cigar.Mine ,[which you need to apply for to the immigration dept here], would probably be about 45% Thailand 55% Australia for the last 20 + yrs. .They also ask for a compelling reason.If my friends reason of going back to his wife and child wasn't compelling enough then I don't have one! and that's before the ASQ, flight booking and payment, buying Insurance,obtaining a visa,fit to fly certificate,covid test.Cof E, from the Thai end.

14 hours ago, SiamAndy said:

Quarantine isn't being reduced.  Starting next month, at some hotels, you will be able to leave your hotel room after 3 days.  You will be able to go to some of the public areas of your hotel.  But you will still not be able to leave the hotel property for 2 weeks. 

28 minutes ago, findlay13 said:

Nice use of the ????? .When I am in Thailand I go to the dept of Transport and renew my licence one stop shop.Same with an extension of stay. a Trip into immigration and sort it out..Easy. So your comparison isn't valid.The worst hoop of travel from Australia atm is getting an exit visa.A friend who has a Thai wife and child and lives in Thailand was recently refused an exit permit  for the purpose of joining his wife.He then got it by showing he'd spent more time out of the country than in it .I haven't.It'd be close but no cigar.Mine ,[which you need to apply for to the immigration dept here], would probably be about 45% Thailand 55% Australia for the last 20 + yrs. .They also ask for a compelling reason.If my friends reason of going back to his wife and child wasn't compelling enough then I don't have one! and that's before the ASQ, flight booking and payment, buying Insurance,obtaining a visa,fit to fly certificate,covid test.Cof E, from the Thai end.

Mileage varies...  Sorry to hear of your troubles getting out of Australia - but thats an Australia thing, not an application for CoE ‘thing’ - I get your point that the Vaccination passport may open things up for Austalian's to travel, but again, thats up to the Australian government and not related to the ‘hoop jumping’ as mentioned when referring to Thailands CoE process.

I received my CoE in 3 hrs... I didn’t have to get out of my seat

If I didn’t already have insurance, the hardest part would be getting the insurance and certificate (that previously took 24 hrs when applying for my first CoE back in July). I have the marriage cert, copy of my Visa & Extension of stay. Booking a hotel on Agoda took minutes, I have the flight booking already (but booking a flight online takes minutes).

What else is there that makes the CoE application more complex ?? 

Driving licence: The hardest part is getting the proof of residence (letter from Immigration of Embassy, or Yellow book). 

I have the Yellow book, I still have to get a medical certificate, then go to the DLT, do 4 tests (colour perception, colour blindness, depth perception, reaction tests,), then sit through a 40min video, then wait for Licence printing.

The CoE application process itself really is very simple. 

24 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

Quarantine isn't being reduced.  Starting next month, at some hotels, you will be able to leave your hotel room after 3 days.  You will be able to go to some of the public areas of your hotel.  But you will still not be able to leave the hotel property for 2 weeks. 

Any information on which hotels this is? (if any have been announced yet). 

I’ll be returning next month and will happily switch ASQ if it means I can use the hotel grounds more freely. 

Archived