Health insurance for Thai

Willy333

I don't know of any Health insurance policies that are monthly. However, some allow you to pay the premium monthly and you can usually cancel at any time with say a  month's written notice.

There is usually no waiting period - but any policy will exclude pre-exisiting conditions, and any claim submitted right after getting a policy will invite close scrutiny.

A number of companies are offering COVID only policies at very low rates. But they do exclude pre-existing.

All Thais get free health care, including for COVID, through the government health system.

Basically if a Thai living in Thailand that would be what it would be used for.  Thai have free medical care but must use facilities serving location they are listed as living at unless short term emergency care.  They can still use government hospitals elsewhere by paying the normally low prices for service.  Insurance would allow using private facilities but unless living in major city government hospitals are likely to provide better service - and even in cities government hospitals are often a good choice.

• Thanks 1

Do you mean a Thai who is permanently resident  utside of Thailand and just visiting home? Or what?

A Thai who lives in Thailand would nto fit an "expat" policy, by definition those are for people living in other than their home country.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sheryl said:

Do you mean a Thai who is permanently resident  utside of Thailand and just visiting home? Or what?

A Thai who lives in Thailand would nto fit an "expat" policy, by definition those are for people living in other than their home country.

I meant a Thai who is permanently resident in Thailand. 

I know this doesn't fit into an expat policy but I failed to find insurance covering my particular situation.

Thanks for your help and your quick reply.

There are private health insurance policies a Thai can get, yes.

But as already explained in this thread, most Thais do nto bother since all Thais get free health care through the government system. The only reason to get a private policy would be to use private hospitals and this is only realistic if living in a major city with good private hospitals.

If looking to insure both a Thai and a expat with same company, April Thailand would probably be best provided the expat is under 65 years. But note that renewal is guaranteed only to the age of 90, not for lifetime

There is a 5% family discount

https://asia.april-international.com/en/international-health-insurance/myhealth-thailand

Should definitely get this or any other insurance through a broker. They will nto only help with the choice but also afterwards with any claims issues

@Sheryl Here's the situation:

I need insurance for my Thai girlfriend while she joins me in ASQ. She's already in Thailand so Travel insurance doesn't work. I also didn't find a Thai health insurance that would cover ASQ. From what I understand, the government wouldn't cover care either.

So I'm out of ideas.

16 minutes ago, Willy333 said:

I need insurance for my Thai girlfriend while she joins me in ASQ. She's already in Thailand so Travel insurance doesn't work. I also didn't find a Thai health insurance that would cover ASQ. From what I understand, the government wouldn't cover care either.

So I'm out of ideas.

I don't think your Thai girlfriend would be allowed to join you while you in ASQ

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 7:05 AM, Willy333 said:

So I'm out of ideas.

I am not sure what you mean by "cover ASQ".

You have to pay privately for ASQ, it is not health care.

Doubtful that any place would let your already in Thailand GF join you but if one did, you would have to pay for her stay just as you will have tyo pay for your own. No insurance covers this.

IF your GF were allowed to join you (doubtful) and IF she became ill while in ASQ requiring hospitalization, the government system would pay for that.

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am not sure what you mean by "cover ASQ".

You have to pay privately for ASQ, it is not health care.

Doubtful that any place would let your already in Thailand GF join you but if one did, you would have to pay for her stay just as you will have tyo pay for your own. No insurance covers this.

IF your GF were allowed to join you (doubtful) and IF she became ill while in ASQ requiring hospitalization, the government system would pay for that.

Thanks for your answer.

Fortunately, everything got resolved in time and we’ll be out of quarantine in a week.

46 minutes ago, Willy333 said:

Thanks for your answer.

Fortunately, everything got resolved in time and we’ll be out of quarantine in a week.

I take it you found somewhere that let her join you. For the benefit of others can you tell us which hotel?