Multiple Visa Questions!

Hello Everyone. I am trying to process my plan to return to Thailand in June after I receive my 2nd vaccine. I am over 50 and have enough savings to comply with various visa requirements ( I have no pension though). I am looking for the easiest route to stay in Thailand for several years without purchasing an Elite Visa. I attach a screenshot from another post which has me slightly confused. Here are my questions;

1. Can I enter Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa and apply for a 3 month non-O visa whilst there? Previously I had to obtain a non-O here in the UK before entering Thailand. The attached screenshot states having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account when applying for a non-O. I thought it was 400,000 in your home country. The 800,000 baht was exclusively for non-OA one year visas? Have rules changed recently. 

2. Could someone explain the one year extension process to a 90 day non-O visa? Can this be extended every year? 

3. This is the tricky one; I want to ship out a pallet of very personal belongings but can only do that on a one year type of visa. Can anyone recommend how to plan this? 

Many thanks and apologies if my questions are tedious and/or repetitive.

Screenshot_20210307-132657.png

40 minutes ago, Chrisgk52 said:

The attached screenshot states having 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account when applying for a non-O. I thought it was 400,000 in your home country.

The screenshot relates to applying for an extension in Thailand, not your home country.  The UK embassy still shows a single entry non-O for retirement (over 50) being available if you have  GBP 10,000 in your account (can be UK) for 3 months.

However you enter Thailand (non-O or tourist) your priority will be to get a Thai bank account opened (if you don't already have one) and put THB 800,000 in it.  You'll then be able to apply for a 1 year extension.

Yes, you can get a new 1 year extension every year.  You need to keep money in your account.  If you can park THB 800,000 and forget it that's the easiest option.

OP, you did not mention a wife so assume non O based on retirement then followed by annual extensions. Very simple.

You can enter Thailand on visa exempt or tourist visa and obtain non O in Thailand.

You would need 800k in Thai bank on day of application. That gives you 90 day permission of stay. During that period you apply for annual extension. For that application the funds need to be in bank for 2 months. Also you need show funds came from overseas. #1 priority is Thai bank account.

Walk in the park

DrJack54 thanks. I am happily divorced and no plans to remarry at this time. I am pleased to know it is possible to obtain the non-O whilst in Thailand as it was a pain to obtain it before from the Thai Embassy in London. 

The only issue I now have is how to ship personal belongings as it can't be done on a non-O visa. 

26 minutes ago, Chrisgk52 said:

The only issue I now have is how to ship personal belongings as it can't be done on a non-O visa. 

Seems you have the non O side of things covered and know your options.

Sometimes questions re shipping belongings come up in this forum and generally the mods shift it to forum with lots of advice available about that. Can't recall that forum. Someone will direct you.

Good luck.

38 minutes ago, Chrisgk52 said:

Thanks. So it is still a 90 day non-O visa with 12 month extension. This visa doesn't allow the holder to ship in personal belongings as it is technically not a one year visa. 

Use a reputable shipping agent, there is no link to your visa, unless things have changed since I arrived.

In 2005 a Thai national could send back an unlimited quantity of personal and household goods, if non Thai then the goods need to be itemized and you need to pay Import Duty on them before they will be released from Customs.

Actually you don't pay duties on personal belongings if it is a one time shipment and you are locating to Thailand under a one year visa. Duties have to be paid otherwise. Although it may make sense to pay duties if they are not exorbitant as I would prefer to enter the Kingdom on a tourist visa and then switch to the non-O 90 day visa. 

56 minutes ago, Chrisgk52 said:

Actually you don't pay duties on personal belongings if it is a one time shipment and you are locating to Thailand under a one year visa.

The 1 year ''Visa''  they refer to is actually a 'permit' granting a stay of 1 year.

When you enter on a TV you will be granted permission of stay for 60 days.

When you apply for the change of Visa type to a Non O you will be granted a further 90 day stay.

Procedure here:

VE-TV-Non O Retirement.pdf

Within the last 30 days of the 90 of the Non O, you then apply to extend your permission of stay for 1 year.

It is this 1 year extension they refer to as a 1 year ''Visa''.

Note it will be several months before you can obtain a 1 year extension based on retirement if you enter TV.

8 hours ago, Chrisgk52 said:

Actually you don't pay duties on personal belongings if it is a one time shipment and you are locating to Thailand under a one year visa. Duties have to be paid otherwise. Although it may make sense to pay duties if they are not exorbitant as I would prefer to enter the Kingdom on a tourist visa and then switch to the non-O 90 day visa. 

That rule no longer exists unless you are working for a company with a work permit.

See: http://www.customs.go.th/cont_strc_simple.php?ini_content=individual_F01_160426_01&ini_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_02_160421_01

There is no need to apply for a tourist visa. You can enter visa exempt and get a 45 day permit to stay that can be extended for 30 days at immigration. You can apply for the 90 day non-o visa entry with while on a visa exempt entry at immigration.

Archived