Wall fans.

DrJack54

About to have my electrician install some wall fans in townhouse. I notice that the prices are very similar for large fans vs smaller.

Eg 20" and 18" even 16" not that great a difference in price. I realize that even from point of view of aesthetics different things need to be considered. Not concerned with running costs.

Any suggestions welcome.

28 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Any suggestions welcome.

The bigger the better, I believe we have the 18 or 20 inch fans, they work well, the bathrooms have the smaller 16 inch ones, huge difference, go big !

Also ours are Hitari and seem to work well, although one on some occasions forgets to turn, and you have to wait for it to unfreeze it's brain.

• Like 1

@4MyEgo Thanks for that.

I didn't want to mention brands as that is whole different thing. I also have Hitari fans in my condo. Have not missed a beat in 9 years.

Anyway that's not important. 

I like your thinking re size matters. Ha.

Point is there is couple of hundred baht between sizes. Hardly significant.

There is Hitari wall fan think it's 22" for ~ 2kbaht. Obviously you wouldn't put that in bedroom. However larger rooms I guessed why not.

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Agree with the size but not the make. We found that Hatara have a short life, especially if you use swing a lot. The cheap plastic parts that create the oscillation wear out quickly.

We've recently replaced them with 18 inch Mitsubishi. Much more powerful and quieter.

Five years going strong, except for one, that's the one that occasionally plays up.

When replacing will look at Mitsubishi thx.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

We've recently replaced them with 18 inch Mitsubishi. Much more powerful and quieter.

I'm hearing you. The same electrician replaced the water pump and almost insisted on Mitsubishi. Stating they were the best.

Having said that I regard fans as throw away item. BTW there is existing 16" way fan in kitchen. Looks very old (will also replace it at same time) does not miss a beat still runs perfect. It's Hatari. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

@4MyEgo Thanks for that.

I didn't want to mention brands as that is whole different thing. I also have Hitari fans in my condo. Have not missed a beat in 9 years.

Anyway that's not important. 

I like your thinking re size matters. Ha.

Point is there is couple of hundred baht between sizes. Hardly significant.

There is Hitari wall fan think it's 22" for ~ 2kbaht. Obviously you wouldn't put that in bedroom. However larger rooms I guessed why not.

2k baht OMG

We have 6, 20'' wall fans excluding the bathroom ones which are 16'' and just confirmed with the wife that we paid about 1,400 baht for each one, that was as I said 5 years ago.

Our main bedroom is 8x6 or 48m2 and the 20" Hitari reaches us where we need it, on our sofa watching TV, the bed and my desk, however I also have a floor one as well on the opposite side of the room which I put on at night when sleeping and turn the wall fan off as I don't like the air blowing down on me, more like the air circulating above my head so the floor fan is perfect for that and I don't have to get on the ladder to always have to adjust the wall fan.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Five years going strong, except for one, that's the one that occasionally plays up.

When replacing will look at Mitsubishi thx.

Our Hataris were about 5 or 6 years old when they started to show their age.

So add on question if possible. With regards the installation of the wall fans.....the electrician is wanting to install providing a power socket (in Oz we call a GPO) just above fan position. Would look less attractive however to replace in future would be simple. 

Hopefully one of the electrical guys read this post and can advise.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

So add on question if possible. With regards the installation of the wall fans.....the electrician is wanting to install providing a power socket (in Oz we call a GPO) just above fan position

Make life a lot easier when cleaning and servicing the fan. 

Even if nothing is wrong you may need to take the fan down sometimes to clean all the fluff and dust from inside the plastic housing. 

Much easier to just unplug the fan than scrabble about in the ceiling space looking for the plug.

Also you might find the extra outlet useful in the future.

If possible, get an IR remote control.

They seemed to be popular a few years back and now Mitsubishi seem to be the only ones producing them, I don’t understand why.

With a bit of jittery pokery they can be linked to Alexa and apple home. 

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

When I fitted it, I installed a single power point above which makes removal of the fan for cleaning a doddle

Thanks for your post. Think the power outlet is exactly what the electrician is suggesting. He has done all the electrical in the make over. So there is 5 fans in total hence thought I would see what Thaivisa had to offer re advice.

I never thought of vibration to neighbors that another poster pointed out and will copy your pad idea.

Ta 

Edit: just noticed no pull cords on your fan. Did you buy it with remote?

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

If possible, get an IR remote control.

They seemed to be popular a few years back and now Mitsubishi seem to be the only ones producing them, I don’t understand why.

With a bit of jittery pokery they can be linked to Alexa and apple home. 

Sorry but not actually correct....  The Hatari wall fan that I have (as shown above) is remote controlled - see photo below. 

20210308_155451-iv.thumb.jpg.58d8210a95aa95f9f2c8f5881a5e06d8.jpg

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Thanks for your post. Think the power outlet is exactly what the electrician is suggesting. He has done all the electrical in the make over. So there is 5 fans in total hence thought I would see what Thaivisa had to offer re advice.

I never thought of vibration to neighbors that another poster pointed out and will copy your pad idea.

Ta 

Edit: just noticed no pull cords on your fan. Did you buy it with remote?

If I remember correctly, Hatari do 2 versions of the same model of wall fan, one operated by 'pull strings' and the other by IR handheld remote as per the photo I posted above.  No way am I going to get up in the middle of the night to turn the fan off if necessary using a 'pull string'... remote is by the side of the bed.... no not the wife????.

I've seen both models available in Homepro and Global House.  If I remember correctly the price for the remote version is about 1,700THB... the 'pull string' version being cheaper.  Have a look on the internet for correct price

13 minutes ago, 007 RED said:

seen both models available in Homepro and Global House.  If I remember correctly the price for the remote version is about 1,700THB... the 'pull string' version being cheaper.  Have a look on the internet for correct price

Your correct. Prior to posting I had been to and also online homework.

16" with remote 1400b. Without remote model 1000b.

Going back to my OP question, still in 2 minds about size. The difference in price is not a lot.

22" 2000b.....18" 1800b.....16" 1000b.

Have large room for the 22" and all the rest are biggish bedrooms. Guess 16" or 18" doesn't really matter? 

Not interested in saving few baht. 

Your advice?

Ta

23 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Not buy Hatari, as dust builds up the engine seizes.

Buy Sharp they are great and last much longer.

You can thank me later.

Not convinced about that. Granted that perhaps my electrician might suggest mitsubishi or whatever. My 2 pedestal fans in my condo have been going strong (on every day) almost 8 year old never missed a beat. Very quiet. Brand....Hatari.

1 hour ago, 007 RED said:

Sorry but not actually correct....  The Hatari wall fan that I have (as shown above) is remote controlled - see photo below. 

Correct - Hatari seem to make them.

I had a hell of a time getting a remote control floor stander -  A long while ago they were all the rage, then I replaced our fans, they vanished and ended up with Mitsubishi ones. I also see hatari make a floor stand now.

For what it's worth.... I ended up going for Hatari 18" with remote control pretty much throughout. So it was 6 of them and two 16" little boys. Went to homepro with intention of buying one 22" for main lounge room however it looked like a Sherman Tank and skipped on that plan.

Thanks for advice esp @007 RED confirming power socket is good option. Perhaps less attractive however my partner is a fan cleaning junkie so easy removal and replacement is a winner for me. Also seems to be preferred option from electrician. BTW his price 3k. He will probably hit me up for the outlets. Don't care. 

On 3/7/2021 at 9:46 PM, Moonlover said:

Agree with the size but not the make. We found that Hatara have a short life, especially if you use swing a lot. The cheap plastic parts that create the oscillation wear out quickly.

I agree with this. After years of buying and repairing Hatari fans I will not buy another one. They are cheap products that do not hold up. I have switched to Mitsubishi line of wall and floor fans. Much better.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, DrJack54 said:
On 3/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, spiekerjozef said:

Not buy Hatari, as dust builds up the engine seizes.

Buy Sharp they are great and last much longer.

You can thank me later.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:35 PM, DrJack54 said:

Not convinced about that. Granted that perhaps my electrician might suggest mitsubishi or whatever. My 2 pedestal fans in my condo have been going strong (on every day) almost 8 year old never missed a beat. Very quiet. Brand....Hatari.

A lot depends on the environment. Cleaner air means a longer life. Since moving from a mobaan in Udon Thani to a rural setting near Sakon Nakhon, where the air is noticeably cleaner our fans stay much cleaner and run very smoothly.

I have a few Mitsubishi wall fans installed in my village house. The 18" push quite a bit of air and may be suitable for a Thai kitchen or very large room. However I would recommend a 16" Mitsubishi wall fan of the new model, pull or remote, for a bedroom or TV room. Check the website for Mitsubishi and you can see specs on the different model wall fans. 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 3:57 PM, 007 RED said:

Thanks for your post. As I type this post the electrician is in the process of installing 8 of the remote Hatari fans as per your pic. So to the issue. There are 2 in the living meals area. Of course each came with a remote, the issue is (same as air con) the remote is operating both. Turn one off they both close.

Any suggestions from anyone? 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

There are 2 in the living meals area. Of course each came with a remote, the issue is (same as air con) the remote is operating both. Turn one off they both close.

Any suggestions from anyone? 

Had the same problem. 

Took a while to figure out who was messing with the fans till I figured it was the same remote ????

Eventually one of the fans quit and replaced it with a normal pull string one, problem solved

• Thanks 1