Thai Visa Forum

Teacher job where I can speak Thai and English

I can speak intermediate Thai, and I feel like I could make teaching English much more engaging for my potential students if I could say something like “wela kun yaak puut Pom/Chan, kun kae chi “I” nai pasa angrit” etc etc 

i have a TEFL certificate but I just hate the idea of speaking only English and my students just hearing a bunch of unintelligible <deleted>.

is there some kind of rice paddy school where they don’t give a <deleted> at all about the protocol and they’ll just let me freestyle teach with a blend like the aforementioned for 20k baht. 

Do tell!

All I can say, is that, I am not a native English speaker. Spanish native speaker from Spain here. 

At school as in all the way from primary until high school, English classes were taught by a Spaniard teacher, who explained English grammar using Spanish, every class put a handful of words and their translation into Spanish, and then of course the typical Listenings on the radio-cassette by Cambridge University blah blah. (Heck, I still remember the WorkBook and StudentsBook bullsh***t. No wonder nobody else from my high school class nowadays is able to speak any English at all)

Had it not been because my parents spent quite a bite of money during the course of several years in taking me to a "private school" in the afternoons (Wednesday & Friday) with a brit teacher who was extremely strict and wouldn't allow a single word of Spanish during class, I would probably still be speaking English the same way as my classmates. And trust me, that during the first couple of years, I understood very few of what he was talking, but eventually got there. 

So I can not offer any advice on where you can find such a job. But as someone who had to learn English not as native language, I can confidently say that while you may think talking in their language is making them a favor, on the long term it may be quite the opposite. 

(As a matter of fact, we also studied French all the way from primary until high school (and it was taught the same way as English). I never took any French classes outside school, and so my French today is just about as good as my classmate's English, rofl 😂.)

Edited by ctxa
1 hour ago, ctxa said:

All I can say, is that, I am not a native English speaker. Spanish native speaker from Spain here. 

At school as in all the way from primary until high school, English classes were taught by a Spaniard teacher, who explained English grammar using Spanish, every class put a handful of words and their translation into Spanish, and then of course the typical Listenings on the radio-cassette by Cambridge University blah blah. (Heck, I still remember the WorkBook and StudentsBook bullsh***t. No wonder nobody else from my high school class nowadays is able to speak any English at all)

Had it not been because my parents spent quite a bite of money during the course of several years in taking me to a "private school" in the afternoons (Wednesday & Friday) with a brit teacher who was extremely strict and wouldn't allow a single word of Spanish during class, I would probably still be speaking English the same way as my classmates. And trust me, that during the first couple of years, I understood very few of what he was talking, but eventually got there. 

So I can not offer any advice on where you can find such a job. But as someone who had to learn English not as native language, I can confidently say that while you may think talking in their language is making them a favor, on the long term it may be quite the opposite. 

(As a matter of fact, we also studied French all the way from primary until high school (and it was taught the same way as English). I never took any French classes outside school, and so my French today is just about as good as my classmate's English, rofl 😂.)

Thanks for the input 🥲