How much do factory workers earn in bangkok

5 hours ago, Jaycomet said:

Because I don't believe my friend earn 12000 baht a month working in a pork floss factory 

My friend maybe would tell the truth and I would say your friend is,

there is lot of mixed information on earnings.

Average figures are not good information on what individuals earn as stated here :- "The average hourly wage (pay per hour) in Thailand is 380 THB."

Other info :-

The minimum salary for Thai people is 313-336 Baht per day (depending on the type of work).

Wages in Thailand decreased to 14620.50 THB/Month in the fourth quarter of 2020.

Edited by Kwasaki

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

The average hourly wage (pay per hour)

That’s probably supposed to be “per day” not “per hour”.  

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Wages in Thailand decreased to 14620.50 THB/Month

Which lines up pretty close with Median Household Income being around 27,000 baht per month that I mentioned for a two-earner household.  

I don’t know why people think every Thai except university graduates makes only minimum wage.  

Heck, even a maid or a nanny in Bangkok will cost you more than 300 baht per day these days.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, digibum said:

Heck, even a maid or a nanny in Bangkok will cost you more than 300 baht per day these days

Well to use the american phase out in the boonie areas you can get a worker 8 to 5 for 300 a day. 

• Like 1

So you are upset that your friend makes more than you think they should? You think his or her value is less? Some friend you are.  I have a friend that makes 40,000 plus  a month working in a factory here. What she does is way under valued per western standards.  

Based on my experience while living in Thailand, I would say that the vast majority of factory workers earn the minimum daily wage for his/her province and work six days a week/eight hours per day.  Some factory workers may work 10 hour days, six or seven days a week. Where the factory is operating on a 24/7 schedule, this means that only two shifts of workers are needed. Migrant workers are often paid less or have 'illegal' deductions made from their wages for broker fees, etc. Since the beginning of the COVID crisis, it has been a very common practice for employers to request employees to work for about 50% of the minimum daily wage just so they can stay employed. The magnitude of economic suffering because of COVID has been enormous.

If a factory worker is making 12,000 baht/month,  it is because of overtime pay that has, hopefully, been properly calculated.

Edited by pookiki

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That would be a monthly wage of over 60k baht, think you might mean 380 per day.

As I stated there are many calculations out there that was a average calculations and they are mis-leading especially in a rich - poor divide society such as Thailand. 

The is more rate's stated in my previous post as well. 

On 3/7/2021 at 10:13 PM, Jaycomet said:

After some research I have found that 7 11 workers and factory workers typically earn 6000 to 8000 baht a month???

I'm afraid your research might be old data.

The present minimum wage is around 325 baht a day (different minimum if different provinces, from 313 baht to 336 baht), which typically equals 8,000 baht a month or more, depending of number of working days.

However, the salary shall from January 2019 mirror the qualifications in 19 different categories, with typically wages from 345 baht to 858 baht. The average monthly wage was 14,670 baht in third quarter of 2020.

7-Eleven has for long time been known to pay 10,000 baht a month, might even be little more now.

Depending of type of number of working days a month, work position, overtime, and other factors, 12,000 baht doesn't sound out of range, it's around 460 baht per working day.

• Like 1

I think your estimate is a bit low.

The MIL works in a factory in Chechengsao, 6 days/ week at 8 hour day for more than 10K - her son, who also lives in the area reports 12K.

There is always unlimited OT available - MIL does 12-14 hours a day - some places offer free meals, free uniform, yearly bonus for night work, attendance and productivity. Factory work isn’t such a bad paid gig. 

Factories down here in the south are a different ballgame, the wages are quite low and they employ a lot of Cambodians and Burmese. 

On 3/8/2021 at 10:05 AM, digibum said:

It’s certainly within the realm of possibility that this person makes 12,000.  

The numbers you cite for 7-11 workers seem to be based on the 300 baht per day minimum wage.  

That would be for the lowest level of employee. Obviously a shift manager would make more.  

Working at 7-11 is like working at 7-11 or McDonald’s back home. It’s a minimum wage job that requires near zero skills or physical abilities that is intended to serve as a temporary job for younger people who are still in school or until they can find a better job.  

Some stay because the job may be flexible or they have little ambition, but it’s quite foolish to base one’s view of Thai household income based on the lowest common denominator job.  

I read some statement from Grab that Grab drivers, on average, make close to 18,000 baht per month. Not every low skill job makes minimum wage.  

The median household income in Thailand is about 27,000 baht per month (pre-Covid) which would imply most Thais make more than minimum wage.  

There’s a reason why Thailand relies so heavily on migrant labor from Myanmar and Cambodia.  Many Thais refuse to do hard physical labor for minimum wage.  

Factory workers are not just unskilled labor.  Even for the unskilled, the jobs may require working around dangerous machinery and-or lots of physical labor.  

That’s not even taking into account the fact that Thailand has many factories that require very skilled labor.  Hard drive manufacturing requires very well trained factory workers.  I have a farang friend that manages a microchip factory in Thailand and all of his employees are well trained.  

Why do you care so much about what your friend makes?  

Are you trying to convince her to quit her job to become your full time GF and you’re negotiating how much it will cost you?  

Maybe you need to lower your sites to 7-11 employees ???? 

I think you're right about his motives as I did the same thing myself. I also factored in what I would be providing in lue of salary. And yes, I found someone that understood how the math works ???? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, l4ml4m said:

nobody works for 9000 anywhere !

but yes, usually they do not deserve more whatever they do !

Where I live in Ratchaburi lots of people get paid 300 baht/day.  Some way less.  I know some mom/pop restaurants that pay their worker(s) 150 baht/day.