Survival skills

Now I'm not going to get into a long post ..  nor explain it more what I mean by " survival skills" because many of you would "survive" different ....but tell me if you were say running a class as a teacher to teach upcoming faran g who want to retire or live permanent in Thailand what would the subjects be ?

Now I know many of U will say subjects on bar girls but let's get away from that .. I had a discussion with a farang at my work last night who retired and failed in Phuket . And come back to Australia.

He lists these skills he never learnt ....

Money management...how to haggle ...self confidence ....how to say NO ...

Basic Thai language... 

And weirdly ....how to do self defence... ...he said that because unfortunately even at 63yo he still got into altercations with motorcycle taxi drivers .

Eventually he learnt how to deal calmly with situations that arise eg negotiation skills ...

Also one " survival" technique I learnt fast in Thailand was NEVER never get involved in fights particular around this people .

I'm always aware particularly at night in say Walking Street Pattaya ...awareness skills ?

I would even add learning how to ride a motorbike or scooter as a survival.

How to negotiate in Thai probably a number 1 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Sad 2

Some one just sent me a message ..about if you are going to live in Thailand is to have your WILL prepared and your wishes written and left with someone...I forgot about that ...next of kin contact details...family or friends contact in emergency... particularly for single farangs ...

Also added "Loose lips ...sink ships"

In other words I guess U need not to brag to others particularly in a bar about what U have ...sad to U can't trust others ..but telling others too much of your business will lead to jealousy etc 

Edited by georgegeorgia

18 minutes ago, upu2 said:

Always walk away if it is possible. Never willingly go into a fight.

I have always been aware of my surroundings...I was attacked a few years ago in Cambodia by 2 guys I think of East European background.

Just walking at night in a red light area ..both drunk started shadow boxing me for no reason lucky a motor taxi stopped.

Since then I carry mace or similar but tend now to avoid red light areas at night 

I never forget the young Aussie killed a few years ago in the bar in Pattaya.

But ...I don't want to get that way you become ...hypervigilant...that's not good 

Edited by georgegeorgia

6 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Forget what you have been taught. Different game different rules.

All your life learned to do things a certain way, react a certain way, expect things to happen and be dealt with a certain way.

Forget it ! Learn again according to your new environment and culture.

Pointless trying to play chess on a chequers board.

Very true !

Different culture etc and I guess learning the skill of acceptance...

I remember sitting outside that coffee shop in Pattaya near tukcom watching a farang go berserk at cars that didn't stop at the pedestrian crossing.

He had a Aussie accent...banging on their Bonnets .." stop ya b******

Learning the skill that U need to accept & can't change things 

Acceptance that it happens and U need to " work with it "

Eg no use getting irate at cars that don't stop 

5 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Very true !

Different culture etc and I guess learning the skill of acceptance...

I remember sitting outside that coffee shop in Pattaya near tukcom watching a farang go berserk at cars that didn't stop at the pedestrian crossing.

He had a Aussie accent...banging on their Bonnets .." stop ya b******

Learning the skill that U need to accept & can't change things 

Acceptance that it happens and U need to " work with it "

Eg no use getting irate at cars that don't stop 

Or as someone once said.........

"grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

• Like 1

You will not change Thai culture, it is you who needs to change or leave. 

and If you don't like Thai people, no matter how much you try to fake it, they will know, and they will not like you back. 

• Like 1

When we moved to Texas after being overseas in the military for 15 years, it shocked me the amount of crime that was on the nightly news.  Military AFRTS either didn't report any crime on military bases or there wasn't any.  After some time, I realized your chances of being involved in crime increased if you frequented bars, dealt in drugs, or flipped off the Texan who just cut in front of you on the highway.

I'd say life in Thailand is much the same.  

When I first started coming here I phrased it to myself "180 degrees off" from what me/myself/I knew to be the truisms of life....

But I looked around & millions of people were functioning just fine while not conforming to my preconceptions imposed on them....Somehow, both systems usually ended up at the same desired result....

So now, when something pops up, I just chalk it up to 180 degrees off and shrug it off/go with the flow = either way - I learn something....

Even grudging/chagrined appreciation ......

• Like 1

i'm looking forward to being able to participate.

Currently on prison day 4 .......... only another 10 days and they let me out.

The most important survival skill for me is how to be in a room alone and without alcohol without going completely insane.

I'm lucky I have HBO, just finished Carnivale, and now on episode 4 of the Supranos.

Can't sleep because I'm not tired, eyes sore from watching a screen for hours and hours.

Edited by OswaldBastable
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

tell me if you were say running a class as a teacher to teach upcoming farang who want to retire or live permanent in Thailand

I find your post very naive covering survival and the postage stamp size up of living in Thailand, all negative.

I would say the same as I already have to westerners.

There's is very much more to Thailand than Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket where many go to first and typically make the wrong accessions and opinions of Thailand.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Also one " survival" technique I learnt fast in Thailand was NEVER never get involved in fights

Also one " survival" technique I learnt fast was NEVER never get involved in fights....better.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have always been aware of my surroundings...I was attacked a few years ago in Cambodia by 2 guys I think of East European background.

Just walking at night in a red light area ..both drunk started shadow boxing me for no reason lucky a motor taxi stopped.

Since then I carry mace or similar but tend now to avoid red light areas at night 

I never forget the young Aussie killed a few years ago in the bar in Pattaya.

But ...I don't want to get that way you become ...hypervigilant...that's not good 

Like you I am always aware of who and what surrounds me. I guess growing up in a big city such awareness are just a part of growing up.

Learn the language, be polite, don't get angry or shout. Of course, if you stay out of red light areas and don't go out at night, that removes about 99% of the risks.

My worst experience here was getting scammed by a farang, most Thais I've encountered have been honest.

Can't say I've had any significant problem with confrontations. I suspect alcohol is involved with many of them, alcohol removes inhibitions.