Top New York Democrats urge Cuomo to resign over sexual harassment allegations

webfact

Top New York Democrats urge Cuomo to resign over sexual harassment allegations

By Barbara Goldberg and Steve Gorman

2021-03-07T231733Z_1_LYNXMPEH260J5_RTROPTP_4_NEWYORK-CUOMO.JPG

FILE PHOTO: New York Governor Andrew Cuomo speaks during a news conference at a vaccination site in the Brooklyn borough of New York, U.S., February 22, 2021. Seth Wenig/Pool via REUTERS

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The two top Democrats in New York's state legislature said on Sunday that sexual harassment allegations leveled against Governor Andrew Cuomo by five women, most of them former aides, have undermined his ability to lead and he should resign.

In calling for the governor to step down, State Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins also cited charges that Cuomo's governing style created a "toxic work environment" and that his office under-reported the coronavirus death toll among nursing home residents.

"Everyday there is another account that is drawing away from the business of government," Stewart-Cousins said in a statement. "We need to govern without daily distractions. For the good of the state, Governor Cuomo must resign."

House Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie followed with a statement in which he said he shares Stewart-Cousins' sentiment "regarding the governor's ability to continue to lead this state."

U.S. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer of New York said he supports the independent investigation into sexual harassment claims made against Governor Andrew Cuomo made by five women, most of them former aides. Lisa Bernhard produced this report.

"We have many challenges to address, and I think it is time for the governor to seriously consider whether he can effectively meet the needs of the people of New York," Heastie said.

Earlier in the day, the most powerful New Yorker in Congress, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, called the allegations of unwanted advances and inappropriate remarks against his fellow Democrat "deeply troubling" and said he backed the investigation launched by state Attorney General Letitia James.

CUOMO VOWS TO STAY IN OFFICE

"I have a lot of faith in (James). I believe that she will turn over every stone and I believe she will make sure there is no outside interference, politically or otherwise," Schumer told reporters at a briefing.

"Sexual harassment is never acceptable and can never be tolerated," said Schumer. "Women have to be listened to ... the allegations of each of the women have to be taken seriously."

Cuomo for his part on Sunday repeated his pledge to remain in office and steer his state, the epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic last spring, through the COVID-19 crisis and onto the road to economic recovery.

"I'm not going to resign because of allegations," Cuomo told reporters on Sunday, according to media reports. "It's damning to publicize allegations before you know that they are credible ... Let the attorney general do her job."

In the latest accusations, the Wall Street Journal reported on Saturday that a former aide, Ana Liss, said Cuomo in 2014 sometimes greeted her with a hug and kisses on both cheeks, called her "sweetheart," kissed her hand and asked her if she had a boyfriend.

The Washington Post reported on Saturday that a former press aide, Karen Hinton, said that in 2000 Cuomo - when he was federal housing secretary under President Bill Clinton - embraced her in a hotel room after a work event.

The new accusations arose after three other women, two of them former aides, had accused Cuomo, 63, of harassing them through unwanted, sexually suggestive comments or inappropriate physical contact, including unsolicited kissing. He has denied any misconduct and vowed to cooperate with the inquiry by James' office.

The governor has acknowledged that it had been a "custom" for him to kiss and hug people when greeting them, and has said he was sorry for any behavior that made "people feel uncomfortable.

"I understand that sensitivities have changed, and behavior has changed, and I get it. And I'm going to learn from it," he told a news conference on Wednesday.

Even before the allegations of sexual harassment, the governor was battling to respond to accusations that his administration deliberately downplayed the number of lives lost to COVID-19 among residents of nursing homes and long-term care facilities, a matter under investigation by the U.S. Justice Department.

(Reporting by Barbara Goldberg in New York and Steve Gorman in Los Angeles; Additional reporting by Sarah N. Lynch and Andrea Shalal in Washington; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-03-08

• Like 1

Imo the old duffer came on to the young lady and was rejected so what he dident retaliat for the rejection I’m wondering if there may be underlying motives perhaps ,so what let it be investigated it certainly seems that he dident assault her 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

Two issues in the OP: Sexual harassment and the nursing home death scandal. The latter is the biggest one and should receive the highest priority investigation. It IS a big deal.

No, 3 issues, you forgot the toxic work environment. But the main topic in the OP is sexual harassment, and that is the topic I responded to.

An absolutely outrageous and illegal demand. We are a country of laws. Just because some rando “accuses” someone DOES NOT mean guilt. Only in totalitarian societies is that standard allowed. 

Plus Cuomo is a literal war hero who saved New York from a deadly and fatal pandemic

His accusers need to face scrutiny allowable under the law:

1. What did they say or do that made Cuomo think he liked them?

2. Why didn’t they go to the police?

3. Why did they wait so long?

4. Did they enjoy it but later regret it?

5. Has there bank accounts been checked?

6. What were they wearing when it happened?

7. Were they trying to get any favors from Cuomo?

these are all legitimate questions that need to be asked in order to ascertain the validity of these accusations. Especially if the accused is a living war hero. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ShindenGo said:

An absolutely outrageous and illegal demand. We are a country of laws. Just because some rando “accuses” someone DOES NOT mean guilt. Only in totalitarian societies is that standard allowed. 

Plus Cuomo is a literal war hero who saved New York from a deadly and fatal pandemic

His accusers need to face scrutiny allowable under the law:

1. What did they say or do that made Cuomo think he liked them?

2. Why didn’t they go to the police?

3. Why did they wait so long?

4. Did they enjoy it but later regret it?

5. Has there bank accounts been checked?

6. What were they wearing when it happened?

7. Were they trying to get any favors from Cuomo?

these are all legitimate questions that need to be asked in order to ascertain the validity of these accusations. Especially if the accused is a living war hero. 

The demand is not ‘illegal’.

It’s Cuomo who is under investigation, not his accusers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Let the AG do her work. I must say that the allegations mentioned here don't sound like a big deal.

That was my first thought.  It's not like he was accused of rape or sex trafficking.  Sexual harassment is more a civil case than a criminal one.  But having said that, Cuomo is in danger of losing the ability to govern.  That could be a problem.   

• Like 1

They don't call a putt that dies in the hole a Rockefeller for nothing.

At least he's single (divorced from RFK's daughter) unlike some presidents (plural) who cheated on wive's #1, #2 and #3.

Sounds surly as a boss, women should just shut him down when he makes his first pitch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The demand is not ‘illegal’.

It’s Cuomo who is under investigation, not his accusers.

And the accused have the right to question his accusers. We are not a totalitarian state. You just cannot accuse someone and expect consequences. This is no longer the Trump era. We are a nation of laws and these accusers deserve to be face tough scrutiny. My guess it’s another fake sex crime hoax aka Tara Reade. 

Honestly it looks grasping at straws. 
Better luck next time. Do better

1 hour ago, Morch said:

He's a career politician, not a 'war hero' in any sense.

Some of the items peppering the above list of "questions" sound outright neanderthal.

Quick question:

Who saved New York from the worlds deadliest and fatal viral disease known to mankind?

Why is New York doing better and has done better than say Florida or Texas?

Why was Fauci praised New York for saving hundreds of thousands of American lives??

And we are supposed to discount these accomplishments because of vague descriptions from 20 years ago? How do you even investigate that? How do you find witnesses, CCTV footage or police reports?

All I’m saying is we’re about to crucify someone who literally saved America while the guy in the White House did NOTHING to save New Yorkers 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, mr mr said:

what were they wearing ?? as in if she looked like a cheap hooker it's all good ? your comment is quite disturbing.

What if you were accused for some “crime” that you supposedly committed 20 years ago what would you do? Would you quit your livelihood? Would you stop helping New Yorkers like Cuomo??

4 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

The leader of the Democratic Party should weigh in on this. At one point he said Cuomo was the "gold standard" in leadership.

The gold standard must certainly be the full 26 incidents of unwanted sexual contacts and 43 instances of inappropriate behavior that were detailed

in the book "All the President's women: Donald Trump and the making of a Predator". Cuomo has much to catch up with that kind of leadership. ????

Edited by Eric Loh
grammar correction
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ShindenGo said:

What if you were accused for some “crime” that you supposedly committed 20 years ago what would you do? Would you quit your livelihood? Would you stop helping New Yorkers like Cuomo??

i would probably lose my job if this happened to me. in the private sector odds are you would be fired even if this was a rumor. 

also you kind of missed the point. we were  talking about clothing and its relevance. 

I think most democrats including me would say he should resign.

Democrats need to show a better moral and ethical standard than the Republicans.

That said every case is different.

For example I think Al Franken should not have resigned.

Franken was a sacrificial lamb.

Cuomo is a dodgy mutton.

Edited by Jingthing

6 hours ago, ShindenGo said:

Quick question:

Who saved New York from the worlds deadliest and fatal viral disease known to mankind?

Why is New York doing better and has done better than say Florida or Texas?

Why was Fauci praised New York for saving hundreds of thousands of American lives??

And we are supposed to discount these accomplishments because of vague descriptions from 20 years ago? How do you even investigate that? How do you find witnesses, CCTV footage or police reports?

All I’m saying is we’re about to crucify someone who literally saved America while the guy in the White House did NOTHING to save New Yorkers 

Quick answers:

It's irrelevant to the topic at hand.

He's still not a 'war hero'.

He did not 'save' New York.

He did not 'save' America.

Covid-19 is not 'deadliest and fatal' viral disease.

This really isn't about Trump.

Any other issues you need corrected, explained or sorted?

1 hour ago, mr mr said:

i would probably lose my job if this happened to me. in the private sector odds are you would be fired even if this was a rumor. 

also you kind of missed the point. we were  talking about clothing and its relevance. 

And ironically enough, today is International Women's Day.

On 3/8/2021 at 7:58 PM, Jingthing said:

I think most democrats including me would say he should resign.

Democrats need to show a better moral and ethical standard than the Republicans.

That said every case is different.

For example I think Al Franken should not have resigned.

Franken was a sacrificial lamb.

Cuomo is a dodgy mutton.

NEVER EVER apologize or resign to the cancel culture mob of the Republican Party. We are a DEMOCRACY not a totalitarian state under Trump. Just because some rando from 2 decades ago accuses you of saying something which is protected under free speech laws does NOT mean you are guilty. Cuomo is trying to save New Yorkers but the republicans are obstructing him like always

On 3/8/2021 at 7:58 PM, Jingthing said:

Why do they need to be better? Shouldn't they both be striving to be ethical and moral lawmakers? Democrats are hardly making a good start on that - NY seems to be a hotbed, perhaps there's something in the water. Anthony Weiner with 15 year old girls ringing any bells?

Anyway, with regards to Cuomo. His accusers are quite recent, and he is a single man. It's not up to us to establish the truth, let the attorney general go through the case and find the truth. If he's guilty, then out the door he should go. If not, then leave him be. It shouldn't matter if you think he's a 'war hero' (some members seem to think this, despite him never serving in any armed conflict) or if your a republican who hates his guts - let the truth come out.

32 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Why do they need to be better? Shouldn't they both be striving to be ethical and moral lawmakers? Democrats are hardly making a good start on that - NY seems to be a hotbed, perhaps there's something in the water. Anthony Weiner with 15 year old girls ringing any bells?

Anyway, with regards to Cuomo. His accusers are quite recent, and he is a single man. It's not up to us to establish the truth, let the attorney general go through the case and find the truth. If he's guilty, then out the door he should go. If not, then leave him be. It shouldn't matter if you think he's a 'war hero' (some members seem to think this, despite him never serving in any armed conflict) or if your a republican who hates his guts - let the truth come out.

The republican party is beyond any hope of having ethics and morals since they got into bed with mr. trump. Nobody is saying that all democrats are saints or need to be saints, but relatively speaking I do think that democrats are held to a higher personal behavior standard than republicans both by the public and among themselves. I think we've already heard enough about the behavior of Cuomo for him to do the honorable thing and move on out of politics. Yes, he has the right to stand firm and fight to stay, but I don't think that he should. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1