Bigger can be better (monitors)

robblok

A while back i asked about monitors as the information online was really not helping. I used to use 3 32 inch monitors and wanted a new main display. The main display started failing a bit so i was thinking about replacement.

I looked at a 4k 24.5 dell but i wwas worried about its size and the fact that my other monitors still needed to fit on the same table. Finally i made the plunge put the 42.5 inch at the same place as the 32 inch and used 4k just had the enlargement a bit lower. Great new monitor. Must say really pleased was worried it would be to big but it was not. 

It was a good buy, i am quite happy with the extra desktop space. Really useful for me in some work situations and for gaming and TV.

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

A while back i asked about monitors as the information online was really not helping. I used to use 3 32 inch monitors and wanted a new main display. The main display started failing a bit so i was thinking about replacement.

I looked at a 4k 24.5 dell but i wwas worried about its size and the fact that my other monitors still needed to fit on the same table. Finally i made the plunge put the 42.5 inch at the same place as the 32 inch and used 4k just had the enlargement a bit lower. Great new monitor. Must say really pleased was worried it would be to big but it was not. 

It was a good buy, i am quite happy with the extra desktop space. Really useful for me in some work situations and for gaming and TV.

Good that you like it.

What is the distance between your head and the screen?

I guess you have a sit back a little to enjoy the full width, correct?

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Good that you like it.

What is the distance between your head and the screen?

I guess you have a sit back a little to enjoy the full width, correct?

Distance is 60-70 cm (measured with a tape measure) between as the chair is not always at the same space. 

I don't have to sit back its on a normal Ikea corner desk and it works good. Better then expected.

I was more worried about the left right movement of my head then having to sit more to the back. But both seemed to be ok. Though my task bar with the clock is a bit far of the rest.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why can one not use a large (> 50 inch) 4K TV as a monitor as they are much cheaper?

I have both a Samsung 28 4K monitor and a 48 Samsung 1920 x 1080 TV. Movies look better on the telly.

One of the reasons is response time its lower on monitors. That is better for interactive stuff. 

My 4K monitor looks better then my TV. Not sure why its different on your setup. I would never use a TV for monitor because of the response time and other stuff.

https://www.howtogeek.com/411413/why-can’t-you-use-a-tv-as-a-monitor/

Not sure why a 4k monitor would be worse then a 1HD Tv. My 4K monitors were better then my (previously owned) HD TV 1920 x 1080

I got a 72 inch TV or so 4K too and it looks better then or the same as the monitor. Just because of the size. But that is about it.

• Like 1

I need a new monitor too. I guess this one is IPS. Do you have one with VA? I am used to AMOLED from my tablet and phone. Need something with good contrast and good black values. I think IPS is not for me then. In the shops they don't have many monitors on display anymore at least here in Pattaya. Therefore it is impossible to check there.

27 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I need a new monitor too. I guess this one is IPS. Do you have one with VA? I am used to AMOLED from my tablet and phone. Need something with good contrast and good black values. I think IPS is not for me then. In the shops they don't have many monitors on display anymore at least here in Pattaya. Therefore it is impossible to check there.

I use this monitor 

https://www.dell.com/lt/business/p/dell-u4320q-monitor/pd

Cant say a bad thing about it but i always use IPS all my screens so im used to it and think its pretty good. This monitor has some nice other things like picture in picture. If you want you can output 2 cables to your monitor and make it default like you have 2 monitors.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, WineOh said:

I use one of my (many) Tv's as a monitor for my new Mac mini.

best decision I have made in a long while purchasing that.

I think it depends on the size of the TV and if its 4K its respons time ect ect. But it certainly is possible. The price difference is huge i mean i pay 32k for the monitor while a TV of 42 inch at 4k can be had from 8k upwards. Some might be explained by mass production (TV's cheaper) while a lot of the other price difference is in extra options / quality.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, robblok said:

One of the reasons is response time its lower on monitors. That is better for interactive stuff. 

My 4K monitor looks better then my TV. Not sure why its different on your setup. I would never use a TV for monitor because of the response time and other stuff.

https://www.howtogeek.com/411413/why-can’t-you-use-a-tv-as-a-monitor/

Not sure why a 4k monitor would be worse then a 1HD Tv. My 4K monitors were better then my (previously owned) HD TV 1920 x 1080

I got a 72 inch TV or so 4K too and it looks better then or the same as the monitor. Just because of the size. But that is about it.

Could it be possible that if the movies I am watching are downloaded at 1080, they cannot look better on a 4k monitor?

Obviously if I download a movie at 4K resolution it will look better on the 4k monitor.

54 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Could it be possible that if the movies I am watching are downloaded at 1080, they cannot look better on a 4k monitor?

Obviously if I download a movie at 4K resolution it will look better on the 4k monitor.

Quite possible a movie wont look any better if its not 4k. It will just scale down to 1080 then. 

Then its just a size thing bigger screen usually makes things look better movies and such.

But I just took that as a given that a 1080 movie would not look better on a 4k screen as your still playing 1080.

I assumed you were saying that a 4k movie did not look better on your monitor as on your TV. 

So you probably watch 1080 on both then there should be no difference besides the size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

for me, I always take 24" monitors for 1080p or 1440p but would go to 27" for 4k but those are mostly used for work and gaming

I got a TV recently which is more like a monitor than a TV (but it does have a tuner so it's a TV), it's the LG OLED48CX

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled48cxpub-oled-4k-tv

it's 4K, 120hz, has G-Sync and HDR and the blacks are like it was turned off

anyways, the difference is the pixel per inch (PPI)

on average:

24″ at 1080p is 92 PPI
24″ at 1440 is 122 PPI
24″ at 4K is 184 PPI
27″ at 1080p is 82 PPI
27″ at 1440 is 109 PPI
27″ at 4K is 163 PPI
32″ at 1080p is 70 PPI
32″ at 1440 is 93 PPI
32″ at 4K is 140 PPI
43″ at 4K is 104 PPI
48" at 4K is 92 PPI

so yes, my 48" TV is exactly the same resolution and PPI as putting 4x 24" 1080p monitors together in a square

quality of monitor and viewing distance is mostly the issue. my friend has a 1080p 32" monitor (I do too) and he thought it was a good idea because it was "bigger" but you can see the pixels at a desk distance and he has asked me to resize the task bar and everything because its too big.

for my usage, I would prefer if PPI is over 100 but I can live with 92 a bit lower.. I do see pixels around 70 on the 32 but it's not bad.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 11:30 AM, kekalot said:

for me, I always take 24" monitors for 1080p or 1440p but would go to 27" for 4k but those are mostly used for work and gaming

I got a TV recently which is more like a monitor than a TV (but it does have a tuner so it's a TV), it's the LG OLED48CX

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled48cxpub-oled-4k-tv

it's 4K, 120hz, has G-Sync and HDR and the blacks are like it was turned off

anyways, the difference is the pixel per inch (PPI)

on average:

24″ at 1080p is 92 PPI
24″ at 1440 is 122 PPI
24″ at 4K is 184 PPI
27″ at 1080p is 82 PPI
27″ at 1440 is 109 PPI
27″ at 4K is 163 PPI
32″ at 1080p is 70 PPI
32″ at 1440 is 93 PPI
32″ at 4K is 140 PPI
43″ at 4K is 104 PPI
48" at 4K is 92 PPI

so yes, my 48" TV is exactly the same resolution and PPI as putting 4x 24" 1080p monitors together in a square

quality of monitor and viewing distance is mostly the issue. my friend has a 1080p 32" monitor (I do too) and he thought it was a good idea because it was "bigger" but you can see the pixels at a desk distance and he has asked me to resize the task bar and everything because its too big.

for my usage, I would prefer if PPI is over 100 but I can live with 92 a bit lower.. I do see pixels around 70 on the 32 but it's not bad.

The more i use it the happier i am. I got two monitors turned into portrait that are 32 inch... 4 k too. Never go back to 1080p. You can get so much more on a 4k screen. Plus for movies (if 4k)  and games its better. 

But at first i really was affraid it would be to big. But im really really pleased. But of course not everyone is the same about these kind of things. Plus I do watch netflix (4k subscription) and play games too not just office work.

19 hours ago, robblok said:

You can get so much more on a 4k screen. 

Does that not depend on how you size your individual windows?

I have a 28 Samsung 4K monitor, but need to make everything 200 x bigger (in screen resolution settings) to be able to read most of the text,

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Does that not depend on how you size your individual windows?

I have a 28 Samsung 4K monitor, but need to make everything 200 x bigger (in screen resolution settings) to be able to read most of the text,

Yes it depends on the size of the screen, so you need to calculate. Suppose you want to keep it the same size you have to have a monitor that is twice as big as the one you have. (4k = about 2x 1980 (HD 1K whater you call it). But if the screen is bigger you can have your enlarge factor lower and you could win like 30% so a 30% bigger screen setup correctly wil yield 30% bigger area.

NOt if its a 1k /1980 hd one because then everything just gets bigger and you cant enlarge. It depends a bit on how bad your vision is. 

On my 32 inch screens i set enlargement to 150.  Then its big enough. now you got 28 inch a bigger monitor would make everything bigger and then you can go to 150 or like on my 42.5 screen 125 (so by switching from 32 to 42.5) i got 25% (about) more screen room then on my 32 inch one and letters are even bigger.

So its a calculation you need to make.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Samsung is blowing out 43" 4K monitors now, about 10,500 baht. 

The question is what kind of resolution that monitor is.. 4k are usually more expensive then the lower class ratings. 

On 3/8/2021 at 11:31 AM, robblok said:

I think it depends on the size of the TV and if its 4K its respons time ect ect. But it certainly is possible. The price difference is huge i mean i pay 32k for the monitor while a TV of 42 inch at 4k can be had from 8k upwards. Some might be explained by mass production (TV's cheaper) while a lot of the other price difference is in extra options / quality.

Yes, I saw that huge price difference between tv and monitor. I currently have a 22 inch Acer monitor and it needs replacing. When I looked a similar model would have been about 5000 baht but have decided to buy a 21 inch tv instead at just under 1600 baht.

Before I got the Acer I tried out a small flat screen tv we used to have in the bedroom but the picture quality was rubbish so went for a monitor. TV's have moved on a great deal and the one I have ordered is 1600 x 900 which I think is the same as the Acer, so see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, can always go in the spare bedroom.

One bonus I can see is the built in speakers, my laptop speakers are quite poor and use a bluetooth speaker at the moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Yes, I saw that huge price difference between tv and monitor. I currently have a 22 inch Acer monitor and it needs replacing. When I looked a similar model would have been about 5000 baht but have decided to buy a 21 inch tv instead at just under 1600 baht.

Before I got the Acer I tried out a small flat screen tv we used to have in the bedroom but the picture quality was rubbish so went for a monitor. TV's have moved on a great deal and the one I have ordered is 1600 x 900 which I think is the same as the Acer, so see how it goes. If it doesn't work out, can always go in the spare bedroom.

One bonus I can see is the built in speakers, my laptop speakers are quite poor and use a bluetooth speaker at the moment.

I havent had the guts to buy a TV price wise it makes sense. I do wonder why. Do they keep the price up artificially or are there real differences.

I am still really happy with monitor.

On 3/13/2021 at 10:24 AM, robblok said:

The question is what kind of resolution that monitor is.. 4k are usually more expensive then the lower class ratings. 

Did NCC not say that they are 4K monitors?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

I havent had the guts to buy a TV price wise it makes sense. I do wonder why. Do they keep the price up artificially or are there real differences.

I am still really happy with monitor.

I think a few years back similar picture quality was probably around the same price but tv's have come on leaps and bounds and mass production will have created the price difference.

I have used my laptop on many a hotel tv which gives me a certain amount of confidence but not saying every aspect would have been covered.

Only ordered yesterday, the 3rd attempt from Lazada. The first went blank after after a short time and has been returned for refund. The second was cancelled by the supplier, said they had made a mistake on the price and wanted another 200 baht. Hopefully third time lucky.

I have found using a LED HD 4K 32" HDMI TV works as good or better than the monitor plus it's a lot cheaper than a PC monitor. Also, I have found using the HDMI cable and not the VGA cable, is the better setup for my PC.  Only thing you'll have to do is setup your display settings, i.e.  1280X720, to what is best for you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, bob89110 said:

I have found using a LED HD 4K 32" HDMI TV works as good or better than the monitor plus it's a lot cheaper than a PC monitor. Also, I have found using the HDMI cable and not the VGA cable, is the better setup for my PC.  Only thing you'll have to do is setup your display settings, i.e.  1280X720, to what is best for you.

Does W10, or your graphics card not do that automatically. Mine do, or give a recommended setting.

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Your right i missed it.. would love to see some comparisons by tech magazines who really know what they are talking bout.

I worked for 40 years editing in the film industry and the last 20 years mastering feature films in 1080, 2K, 4K and 8k, in every frame rate, progressive and interlaced, and shot and edited all of Texas Instruments videos which were used to demonstrate their DLP tech. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Light_Processing

I am sitting in front of a 4k editing system right now. what do you want to know? 

my first question is do you have a need for reproducing colors super accurately?  like using photoshop in a professional environment? or doing color correction on film or video? 

are you a gamer? 

what is your budget? flat screens are so cheap now it is hard to go wrong with Samsung in non critical applications. 

I have found using a LED HD 4K 32" HDMI TV works as good or better than the monitor plus it's a lot cheaper than a PC monitor. Also, I have found using the HDMI cable and not the VGA cable, is the better setup for my PC.  Only thing you may have to do is setup your display settings, i.e.  1280X720, to what is best for you. Yes, I do know that Windows 10 and/or the graphic card will set it up automatically, but I have found that their recommended setting is most times either too small or too large.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I worked for 40 years editing in the film industry and the last 20 years mastering feature films in 1080, 2K, 4K and 8k, in every frame rate, progressive and interlaced, and shot and edited all of Texas Instruments videos which were used to demonstrate their DLP tech. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Light_Processing

I am sitting in front of a 4k editing system right now. what do you want to know? 

my first question is do you have a need for reproducing colors super accurately?  like using photoshop in a professional environment? or doing color correction on film or video? 

are you a gamer? 

what is your budget? flat screens are so cheap now it is hard to go wrong with Samsung in non critical applications.  

I already bought a monitor 42.5 inch. I paid around 32k for it and I am happy. Budget is not really a problem in general as i use the computer for business (and fun). I do indeed play games so that could be a problem with the response time of TV's. 

I dont need true colors as I am not in the digital industry and to be honest i don't really care what are the real colors as long as it looks good. I am just curious why the price difference. One might be mass production. But that really does not explain it all.