Thailand's ID Obsession

Neeranam

Everywhere I go, I am asked for my passport or ID. The banks, hotels, hospitals, provincial office, etc.

I've lived in Thailand most of my life but can't remember anywhere in Scotland asking me for ID or passport.

What is the obsession with ID cards? does your home country do the same?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

What is the obsession with ID cards?

does your home country do the same?

Thailand way of Identification. The most common use of an ID card is to verify that the person holding it is indeed who she/he claims to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_identity_card

In UK I believe you can get a Citizen ID card.

Most people can use a passport or photo DL.

I still have my birth certificate last time I used it was at Thai immigration.

44 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Everywhere I go, I am asked for my passport or ID. The banks, hotels, hospitals, provincial office, etc.

I've lived in Thailand most of my life but can't remember anywhere in Scotland asking me for ID or passport.

You've got your Thai Citizen's ID card now, haven't you? 

Just enjoy the look of utter confusion and consternation of the faces of Thai officials when you present it to them!

Actually, I'm certain you've been relishing exactly that experience in the short time since your Thai citizenship was granted. I know I would. I envy you that experience.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JackGats said:

I wish the Thais would provide me with a THAI ID valid as long as I am in Thailand (expat ID card) rather than ask me for my passport number. Passports get replaced and lost and when that happens your "ID" poses problems.

Other countries know how to do it.

I have seen such card from South Korea for a Thai worker.

All necessary data on one card.

Readable in Korean and English.

Most countries have ID cards and you will need it of course at goverment offices, banks etc.

"Driving license is enough": for some purposes like post office or so.

Officially not at banks, airline check in and hotels.

Just yesterday my passport was searched for the right stamp at the hotel check in.

Thais are obliged to have their ID card in public.

Their citizens ID number is assigned from birth and will not change ever (very few exceptions maybe).

In the stringhold of data protection (Germany) a revolt would break loose just trying to introduce a citizen ID.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What on Earth for?

I had to use mine at the Provincial hall to get my parents' name on the housebook.

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Any official business at a bank in Scotland you would need ID same with council offices.

Hotels? I doubt it but I have usually booked in advance and would have to present the card I 

used in the booking.

If you were a foreigner using the NHS I am sure you would need some form of. ID 

The Thais clearly do things differently, but in all the examples you used, some kind of 

ID is needed and records of your stay/visit are made and probably sold to a marketing

company somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

And Thailand does not. The "pink card" is of limited value.

Thai script only, no relation to your original data except birthday.

AND house registration. Same number is used.

ThaiPost started requiring an ID to mail a package a few years ago. No problem. 

But I mailed dozens of letters at the counter (domestic and international) since without having to show an ID. Last week, asked for an ID, of course I didn't bring one.

I think the obsession is more about paperwork and procedure than identification. And paperwork is needed because they want an audit trail, and don't trust the minion level to do their jobs properly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

What on Earth for?

I had to use mine at the Provincial hall to get my parents' name on the housebook.

I dunno they asked for it years ago at the Masod immigration office, when the new Sukhothai office opened up I showed it to them to but they just took a copy of it. 

Only ID I ever need is passport for the bank when drawing money from investment savings book.

Yellow book and passport to renew DL's. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

In the stringhold of data protection (Germany) a revolt would break loose just trying to introduce a citizen ID.

Dunno. What is the German Personalausweis then if not an ID card?

4 hours ago, Neeranam said:

In the UK I wanted to transfer a few thousand points, I was asked for ID by the bank teller (my driving licence sufficed)

Car rental in the UK, ID sufficed. 

Checking into a major chain Hotel in the UK, I’ve been asked for my passport. 

And obviously when younger, I had to show ID getting into a Pub or Bar... (Student ID to get into the Student Union or club) and drivers licence in a bar or pub (shown at the door). 

In Thailand.. I have to show my ID at the Bank, checking into any (most hotels). 

Getting into a club.

Its not too different - perhaps we just notice it more here because its passport instead of something we conveniently carry like a Driving licence ???

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Dunno. What is the German Personalausweis then if not an ID card?

It's an ID card. But what has that in common with a unique citizen ID?

They have introduced a tax ID which could serve this purpose but strong resistance against using it for other administration purposes.

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thailand way of Identification. The most common use of an ID card is to verify that the person holding it is indeed who she/he claims to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_identity_card

In UK I believe you can get a Citizen ID card.

Most people can use a passport or photo DL.

Is the Citizen ID card still in used ?? - seems to have been scrapped unless it was re-invented as something else. 

https://www.gov.uk/identitycards

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the UK I wanted to transfer a few thousand points, I was asked for ID by the bank teller (my driving licence sufficed)

Car rental in the UK, ID sufficed. 

Checking into a major chain Hotel in the UK, I’ve been asked for my passport. 

And obviously when younger, I had to show ID getting into a Pub or Bar... (Student ID to get into the Student Union or club) and drivers licence in a bar or pub (shown at the door). 

In Thailand.. I have to show my ID at the Bank, checking into any (most hotels). 

Getting into a club.

Its not too different - perhaps we just notice it more here because its passport instead of something we conveniently carry like a Driving licence ???

I remember getting a fake student id here. 

I never carried my DL in the UK. Actually I don't have the card, just the paper one. 

Ive never had ID to show pubs and been going to them since 15.

Never showed a bank I'd that I can remember 

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

And why no real ID card for foreigners who live here legally?????

There is a Non Thai pink card. Although made for migrant workers, a few deluded farang think it makes them Thai. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There is a Non Thai pink card. Although made for migrant workers, a few deluded farang think it makes them Thai. 

My pink ID card used to work at the post office for ID as well as my driver license, however, nowadays they continue to ask for my passport whenever I wish to mail a simple letter or package either in country or out of the country.  Insane that you can not just mail an item by obtaining the correct postage, and then they even want your phone number.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

My pink ID card used to work at the post office for ID as well as my driver license, however, nowadays they continue to ask for my passport whenever I wish to mail a simple letter or package either in country or out of the country.  Insane that you can not just mail an item by obtaining the correct postage, and then they even want your phone number.

They want your phone number because 'you handsome man'...   the pink ID shows you 'live here long time'... 

There, that should play right into Neeranam’s ‘deluded farang' projection !!:cheesy:

• Haha 1

When I withdraw money from the bank I have to show my passport. When I send money to my mother in law I dont. Now here is the stupid thing. When I pay cash into my other bank they also want my passport. I present them with my bank book so what do they need my passport for.