Covid extension denied (for Tourist visa)

Just came back from the Immigration office (in Si Racha), and they could not give me the 60 day Covid extension. I have to arrange it with the embassy, and they said it is very unlikely since I am able to travel back to the Netherlands (where I am from). I guess this is correct, but my flight was cancelled again (but that is another story, I sum it up below.). I think the Netherlands still has a negative travel advice, and my flight was cancelled, so I think that should be reasons to stay in Thailand for a little longer. Let's see what the embassy says about this. I will update this post as soon as the embassy replies to me.

Btw.. i am in Thailand to be with my girlfriend, we were separated for a full year, and then the Tourist visa was the only way to get here. I arrived with a 60 day tourist visa at december 24, which they extended for 30 days, and now it expires later this month.

I write this since I thought everyone got 60 day Covid extensions until now. So my questions:

- Anyone got a similar experience than me?

- Anyone got a Covid 60 day extension very recently? On a tourist visa?

- Anyone had to fly back to his/her own country this month (or very recently, or is planning to do that very soon)??

- Any advice how I could stay longer? What would you do in my situation?

Lufthansa rant: please NEVER EVER fly with this <deleted> company (although I am not sure if any airlines handles stuff better in this Covid time). I booked a return flight last year, it was cancelled due to Covid, and they promised my money back (phone call with customer center) within 10 business days. Obviously it never came, not even after many messages and calls. At some point they said they only could offer a voucher. Then I had to book a flight in December (very stressful and no flexibility because of ASQ bookings/insurance/ COE etc etc). I used a voucher with the amount of my original booking price, and had to pay about 80% of that price on top of that (ok, the original price was very cheap). Flew to Thailand (yeah!), and then my return flight was cancelled, and it is not likely that I will get any money back.
So I paid 1.8 times the price of the original retour flight and only got a single flight so far. If that was not bad enough the voucher came with more disadvantages: the new flight had to be from the same airport as the original flight (or maybe it was the same country). This was a problem, since my original departure airport was Amsterdam, but German airports like Dusseldorf (closest to my home) and Frankfurt are my preferred options. Because of the Covid tests, and reducing the chance of missing a connection, I wanted to make one flight movement (Frankfurt - Bangkok), but this was not possible. So I was forced to board in Amsterdam and sit in a fully booked plane with people from all over the world that change flight in Frankfurt. Really stupid policy. Of course Amsterdam was the most expensive option. Dusseldorf was about 200 euro cheaper, Frankfurt was the convenient direct flight.
So I feel they take advantage of desperate people who take a flight to their loved ones with no flexibility because of al other requirements. Their customer service is <deleted> and all their promises are a lie.

• Sad 1

Immigration is probably aware that there are two (2) daily direct, non-stop flights BKK-AMS.

There are three tonight (technically Tuesday)

KL804    
KL816    
KL844

Really no excuse.

I didn't read about your travails.

Seems like if you can't afford 20,515 THB all in (one way), then how can you afford to stay in Thailand?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, jvjv said:

What does 'you got a light' mean? I am not intending to change the destination (that was about my previous booking that was totally cancelled). To make it clear: I am not afraid of not getting a flight back home. I am only saying that flight still get cancelled and schedules will get messed up.

As explained, I am not on a holiday. But had to take a tourist visa since that was the only choice.

I am looking into work visa, elite visa, study / volunteer visa and even the costs and risks of doing nothing and just overstaying. But since everyone is staying in Thailand for many months on extensions, it is not very strange that I try that first, right?

Not everyone is staying on Covid extensions, many have valid  visas or extensions of stay.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Immigration is probably aware that there are two (2) daily direct, non-stop flights BKK-AMS.

Ok, yes I understand that. I guess I am mistaken that everyone still get's the 60 day Covid extension (which was still the case a few weeks ago if I am not mistaken)

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not everyone is staying on Covid extensions, many have valid  visas or extensions of stay.

Damn, you got me there! I mean everyone on short stay visas who are ok to stay longer. Will correct it.

• Haha 2

If you wish to claim your flight back or partial flight back because the airline has cancelled your flight you can get ABTA involved - they can help you claim the refund of the return flight (if you wish). 

Visa issues: Lots of guys have received assistance from agents. 

IF there is no option to return home, perhaps due to an elevated Covid-19 risk your Embassy may sign the declaration that you can’t return home, this may be required to secure an extension from immigration. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Lots of guys have received assistance from agents. 

How many came in via the CoE/F2F/Insurance/TR60/Quarantine scheme? I mean you probably agreed to all sorts of terms and conditions in the reams of paperwork, one of which is that you would return home.

All that said, it seems like nothing is allowed, but anything can be arranged.

If the State of Emergency is ever lifted, one would expect that Immigration will be encouraging people (who are here on COVID extensions) to leave. Or at least get them ordered into some visa catgeory which requires income/savings and health insurance.

Edited by mtls2005

Did they refuse because you came during the pandemic, and didn't get 'stuck here' like those caught at the start of the pandemic? I assume you went through quarantine when you arrived in December. 

If yiu are on a tourist visa they will consider you a tourist, even if you are here to see your girlfriend. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

If the State of Emergency is ever lifted, one would expect that Immigration will be encouraging people (who are here on COVID extensions) to leave. Or at least get them ordered into some visa catgeory which requires income/savings and health insurance

That will occur when borders are open and people can easily exit and reenter with visa or visa exempt. Until then I'm not alone in thinking that covid extensions will continue to be issued past end of March and most likely until borders open.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jvjv said:

I think the Netherlands still has a negative travel advice

I don't know about the via extension, but the negative travel advice does not apply to you as Thailand is still on the (very small) list of safe countries: https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/coronavirus-covid-19/reizen-en-vakantie/inreizen-doorreizen-nederland-en-het-eu-inreisverbod/veilige-landen. As there are direct flight to AMS by KLM (which circumvents possible problems when transferring somewhere) as noted above, they might claim that you can return to Holland without problems and are not obliged to stay here.

Regarding the refund of unused airline tickets, I had half a fare (return portion of BKK-AMS ticket) as well as a return BKK-AMS (both in 2020) refunded by EVA, both in less than 3 weeks after they cancelled these flights. I guess it depends on the airline.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

As I understand it agent can also assist you with covid extension.

We asked a few of agents about doing the covid extension, and we found the services they were offering pretty worthless.  For a fee of 3000 baht they offered to help us with the documents required and make an appointment for us at immigration, and thats about it.   We would still need to go to immigration ourselves. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

We asked a few of agents about doing the covid extension, and we found the services they were offering pretty worthless.  For a fee of 3000 baht they offered to help us with the documents required and make an appointment for us at immigration, and thats about it.   We would still need to go to immigration ourselves. 

So what's your situation. Same as OP, refused covid extension?

Can't understand why. It's not as though the situation regarding covid has changed. Borders still closed last time I looked. 

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So what's your situation. Same as OP, refused covid extension?

Can't understand why. It's not as though the situation regarding covid has changed. Borders still closed last time I looked. 

We have ED visas that we can't extend.  The ED visas complicate our situation because our current extension needs to be cancelled before we can apply for the covid extension.  That can only be done in the province where the visas were issued and we are currently far from there.  We tried to find an agent to help with that.  The agents said the could get us a volunteer visa, but told us they couldn't do much to help us with the covid extension except fill out the paperwork and get us an appointment with immigration.   We haven't applied for the covid extension yet.

The advice to go to Bangkok is good. People say the "you can go home thing " but I was in Pattaya the other day and agent assisted visas seemed very cheap at present. When you consider to stay on  covid visa for a year would cost close to  12000 b a year,  a retirement  visa wasn't much more. Even if you are under 50 the other visas you mention  seem an option. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cpillow said:

Try to fly to Bangkok, book a night there, ask for the TM30, and get the COVID extension.

Did they asked you in immigration for the Quarantine + Hospital certificates in order to extend?

The docs you mention are only requested for those who entered with the STV.  The OP stated they entered on a TR, so they are not likely to need these docs.

• Like 1

If I get my covid extension denied, can I request a 7 day extension to give me time to leave the country?  I seem to remember reading that long ago.  I am expecting at this point to be denied because I won't be able to produce a TM30 since the online reporting system is not working.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

If I get my covid extension denied, can I request a 7 day extension to give me time to leave the country?  I seem to remember reading that long ago.  I am expecting at this point to be denied because I won't be able to produce a TM30 since the online reporting system is not working.

You can get 7 days to leave the country after paying the 1900 baht fee for a denied extension.

You could complete a TM30 form instead of doing it online,

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies! I try to reply on most questions.
(I wanted to do this earlier, but I could not access this website for 2 days or so)

Last month, my landlord and I registered my address in Si Racha. (and then I got the first 30 days extension). So I have a 'receipt of notification' with the address attached to my TM.6 form attached to my passport...). I was really confused as to why I needed that, since I was just a tourist, but for a longer stay it makes sense.
So this made it pointless for me to go to Bangkok, I have to get my extension in Chonburi. But in Bangkok they said the Covid extension should be possible for the Netherlands and on a TR60 visa.

When I went to the immigration office in Si Racha, they only looked at my passport and when noticing it was Dutch she said the Covid extension is not possible for the Netherlands, since it is safe to go home. They did not accept my forms (and obviously not ask for the 1900 baht.)

The Dutch Embassy in Bangkok does not write Visa support letters for people on a tourist visa and says any decision is entirely up to the immigration officer.

Today I went to the immigration office in Jomtien, Pattaya. They took all the forms (tm7, covid extension, etc and gave a form that I take notice of all the overstay rules that I had to sign too). And of course I paid the 1900 baht, and now my application is under consideration.

My original passport stamp says I am permitted to stay until march 23th.
Now I got a stamp that I have to go back to the Pattaya office on march 25th.

So I guess this is somewhat good. But of course I have no idea what the procedure is going to be when they tell me I get no extension on the 25th. In that case I suppose I have to leave the country immediately, and will have some overstay days...?
But I will just wait and see what they tell me on the 25th.. not much I can do otherwise.

"Did they asked you in immigration for the Quarantine + Hospital certificates in order to extend?"
No one ever asked me for the quarantine certificate. Insurance papers only checked at the airport and upon arriving at ASQ.

@djhotsox i am sorry to hear your story. Best of luck to you and your fiance!

ps.
I also would loved to have the STV (up to 3 time 90 days stay), but that was not available when I applied for my visa, but it was right after, and before I actually went to Thailand. I thought it would not be smart to apply for a second visa, a second COE, and change all the things... But now I regret it. STV can only be requested in your home country. ????

Also, the embassy websites said earlier that the first extension would be 45 days (to give you the 15 quarantine days back). And and some point there were several sources that talked about 60 days extensions (but that might not be official). I am not sure why and when they made this only 30 days again.

If I have to fly back to the Netherlands soon, I might apply for the STV as soon as possible and come back to Thailand (doing ASQ again etc..). But that is pretty ridiculous. (not to imagine if a few days overstay will affect this).

Good luck to anyone else!