Covid extension denied (for Tourist visa)

3 minutes ago, AlexfromManchester said:

Hi @DrJack54 is there an immigration office in Bangkok you would recommend as being particularly helpful? I am due to request an extension (hopefully for 60 days!) later this week.

You would deal with Muang Thong Thani.

MTT. You can apply for 60 day covid extension. You may need to have copy of TM30 report. Where did you obtain previous extensions?

On 3/11/2021 at 3:15 PM, jvjv said:

Today I went to the immigration office in Jomtien, Pattaya. They took all the forms (tm7, covid extension, etc and gave a form that I take notice of all the overstay rules that I had to sign too). And of course I paid the 1900 baht, and now my application is under consideration.

@ubonjoe - how come he was able to obtain a COVID extension at Jomtien, bearing in mind that his registered address is in Sri Racha with its own immigration office?

• Like 1

They didn't tell you about possible flights going back like the other immigration?

I am asking because I went to immigration in Bangkok today. I tried to get the covid extension first, but they insisted to give me the 30 days standard extension first (my first one based on visa exempt. I arrived in February this year). On TM7, they changed 60 days into 30 days and the reason for extension was changed from 'covid situation' to 'travel'.

They told me to come back before end of March to get the covid extension but they need to see that my return flight is cancelled. And she mentioned something about a letter from the embassy. Otherwise I won't receive the covid extension and have fly back home. So I might try the Jomtien immigration as well.  

Btw, no place issued a TM30 for me and it was not an issue at all at immigration. Nothing mentioned about it.

Edited by hav
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

@ubonjoe - how come he was able to obtain a COVID extension at Jomtien, bearing in mind that his registered address is in Sri Racha with its own immigration office?

Mostly because it is the same province and Sri Racha immigration is under Chonburi immigration headquartered in Jomtien.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Mostly because it is the same province and Sri Racha immigration is under Chonburi immigration headquartered in Jomtien.

So does this mean that retirees or spouses of Thai nationals with registered Sri Racha addresses can apply for their annual retirement or marriage extensions at Jomtien instead of Sri Racha if they so wish? If so, then I am sure that the OP of this thread would probably, in hindsight, have preferred doing this back in 2015 after receiving a hard time at Sri Racha stemming from their rogue insistence on the bank deposit element of the combo method he was planning to use in support of a retirement extension application being seasoned:-

Edited by OJAS

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

So does this mean that retirees or spouses of Thai nationals with registered Sri Racha addresses can apply for their annual retirement or marriage extensions at Jomtien instead of Sri Racha if they so wish?

Longstay extensions would be different. Jomtien might turn people away that should be doing them in Sri Racha.

19 hours ago, hav said:

They didn't tell you about possible flights going back like the other immigration?

No, in Jomtien they did not ask me any questions. They only asked me to write down my phone number, and sign some passport copies. Besides that, all forms were accepted without any questions..

So I have to go back there tomorrow, and then I know if it was actually succesful.....

19 hours ago, hav said:

I am asking because I went to immigration in Bangkok today. I tried to get the covid extension first, but they insisted to give me the 30 days standard extension first (my first one based on visa exempt. I arrived in February this year). On TM7, they changed 60 days into 30 days and the reason for extension was changed from 'covid situation' to 'travel'.

They told me to come back before end of March to get the covid extension but they need to see that my return flight is cancelled. And she mentioned something about a letter from the embassy. Otherwise I won't receive the covid extension and have fly back home. So I might try the Jomtien immigration as well.  

Btw, no place issued a TM30 for me and it was not an issue at all at immigration. Nothing mentioned about it.

From my past experience I believe they want to exhaust the ways you can possibly extend normally as per your visa before finally issuing a Covid extension.

They told me to use my 30 day extension on my TR60 before I could apply for the Covid extension.  I eventually got my Covid extension and was told I could go back in May and apply again.

On 3/8/2021 at 2:20 PM, Phillip9 said:

We asked a few of agents about doing the covid extension, and we found the services they were offering pretty worthless.  For a fee of 3000 baht they offered to help us with the documents required and make an appointment for us at immigration, and thats about it.   We would still need to go to immigration ourselves. 

I paid the people at the immigration office to fill out my paperwork for like 400 baht.  Had no problems.

Agents are charging about 8500 to get this visa (waste imo).

advice to go to dif IO is cheapest solution that should work.

Or hire an agent to get you a volunteer.  3 months is like 22,000, 1 year to 15 months is like 60,000.

You have plenty of options that will work.

Good luck!

• Like 2

On 3/8/2021 at 1:28 PM, DrJack54 said:

That will occur when borders are open and people can easily exit and reenter with visa or visa exempt. Until then I'm not alone in thinking that covid extensions will continue to be issued past end of March and most likely until borders open.

They will be issued until at least the end of May, as several news sources have confirmed. Although it is being hinted at that the state of emergency will be lifted then too, I believe they will continue to allow extensions until at least late September, in line with the proposed early October reopening (assuming this won't be postponed again, which it could very well be). 

3 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

, I believe they will continue to allow extensions until at least late September, in line with the proposed early October reopening (assuming this won't be postponed again, which it could very well be). 

I believe your on the money.

As I received notification of your post, I was reading Thai news forum.......in particular the article concerning 400+ covid cases in Thailand this Tuesday.

Not to mention UK new rules for traveling.

Song by Crowded House comes to mind. "Don't dream it's over"

• Like 1

So I went to the immigration office in Jomtien today.  They needed 2 copies (1 of passport mainpage, 1 of the page with the most recent stamp that says I had to come back today) and they took my passport. I have to come back tomorrow.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:36 PM, TheFreqFlyer said:

They will be issued until at least the end of May, as several news sources have confirmed. Although it is being hinted at that the state of emergency will be lifted then too, I believe they will continue to allow extensions until at least late September, in line with the proposed early October reopening (assuming this won't be postponed again, which it could very well be). 

Did I miss something? I haven't seen any news reports that state they are being issued until the end of May. The last order said they will be issued until the 30th May.

Has this been confirmed or did you mean until the end of this month, March?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

Did I miss something? I haven't seen any news reports that state they are being issued until the end of May. The last order said they will be issued until the 30th May.

Has this been confirmed or did you mean until the end of this month, March?

Sorry, this is an error, it should say March. I haven't seen any news that say these extensions have been continued past the 30th of March.

7 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Sorry, this is an error, it should say March. I haven't seen any news that say these extensions have been continued past the 30th of March.

We could have what they call in golf "closest to pin" competition. My guess is Monday 29 mid afternoon. 

"Covid extension issue will continue until end of May"

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

We could have what they call in golf "closest to pin" competition. My guess is Monday 29 mid afternoon. 

"Covid extension issue will continue until end of May"

I'll say a Double Bogey - 2 days after they've officially finished.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Haha 2

So I went to Jomtien again today, and got my passport and a stamp that I can stay until May 22nd. So I got 60 days Covid extension.

By the way, I went at 10 in the morning (on a friday) and there was no line at all. I walked straight to the desk and got my passport within a minute.

Good luck to anyone else!

• Like 1