Brits banned from travelling internationally - including to Thailand

webfact

31 minutes ago, OswaldBastable said:

England was a total nightmare, you couldn't go out, then you could, then you couldn't.

The weather was awful, and even if you could go out everywhere was shut.

I can't see much surviving, everyone is just accumulating debt, all the rent/mortgage/loans will need to be paid in the end.

Thailand was about the only place I could find to escape after a year of that  nonsense.

And even that wasn't easy, and was expensive (about 3,000 pounds all in), but at least I have 3 months where hopefully I will be able to live a life again. If they ever let me out  of this hotel.

Never been to Asia before, looking forward to bars, beaches and whatever else there is to see and do.

Wow... if you'd only waited a week or so, you could have gotten Cyprus without any quarantine.

• Like 2

Belgium has had a ban on "non-essential travel" in place since end of January. However they will not stop you if you have no residence in Belgium or if you can show your trip is essential. I've seen guys boarding who just "had a girlfriend" in TH. Enforcement is sketchy at Brussels airport (only less than 15 flights a day left anyway, the Belgian gvt did a good job of stifling the economy). I wonder how enforcement will be in the UK.

This has been the case in the UK (or England at least, I don't keep up with what's happening in the devolved UK governments) since the lockdown started. It seems like some people were taking liberties with it and had an "essential" holiday though. All they've done is tighten the control rather than the restrictions themselves. Or locking the stable door after the horse has bolted, as Boris is so fond of doing.

That said, if all goes to plan with the vaccination roll out the travel ban is due to be reported on by the 12th April and the ban lifted by 17th May. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

EDIT: Seems like the 17th May has been quietly removed from the roadmap, perhaps pending the results of the 12th April review. Original roadmap with the 17th May (at the earliest) date for lifting of travel restrictions can be seen here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

Edited by DJBenz
Extra info
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kerryd said:

I joked in a FB group about someone showing up with a jet ski and claiming it was their "emotional support jet ski" which exempts it from having to go as checked baggage and exempts it from the weight restriction as well.

did it work? 

2 hours ago, BKKTRAVELER said:

I see one big flaw in their area quarantine proposal. The main reason they keep you in quarantine after testing negative on the third day is because of cases that occurred in which people tested negative at first and then positive later on (10th, 11th day). That means that people passing the first test can still be positive later. 

Now, it seems people will be allowed to mingle with others within the hotel limits. What if someone that passed the first test but is still actually a carrier gets in contact with someone on their 13th or 14 day of quarantine and give it to them? This person may end up going free the next day and spread it later on.

The incubation period is what many people aren't clued up on.

I see one big flaw in their area quarantine proposal. The main reason they keep you in quarantine after testing negative on the third day is because of cases that occurred in which people tested negative at first and then positive later on (10th, 11th day). That means that people passing the first test can still be positive later. 

Now, it seems people will be allowed to mingle with others within the hotel limits. What if someone that passed the first test but is still actually a carrier gets in contact with someone on their 13th or 14 day of quarantine and give it to them? This person may end up going free the next day and spread it later on.

you tink too mutt

3 hours ago, overherebc said:

Back to the drawing board then??

Yeah, some are just born with their feet facing backwards .... 

I'm not sure about the rest of Europe but people in the UK usually only take 1 or 2 week breaks. Expecting people to come all the way over here to spend the majority of your holiday confined to one place seems a bit of a long shot.

• Like 2

Wait.....!!!

The point of quarantine is to isolate you from other people except your family  so you don't transmit to others

So now you can roam around the hotel spreading it!?!??!  

Absolutely insane

And are these quarantine hotels only for quarantine guests or for anyone?

• Confused 1

Probability 101. Testing negative on the first day might mean x% chance you might turn out positive down the road. Testing negative on both day 1 and day 3 and the chance drops to y%, where y << x, which is deemed an acceptable risk.

I don't have the numbers obviously but there's data around if you look and I bet that's on what they based their decision.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Last week, the Thai government unveiled its so-called ‘area quarantine’ plan which it hopes will attract more foreign tourists to Thailand.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

regardless of the plans the Thai government has for area quarantine, it is unlikely to include British tourists any time soon.

This is because British government has banned its citizens from travelling overseas on holiday

If I was the Brit' minister for holidays I'd let all the seaside resorts like Margate , Eastbourne , etc , open their own Soi/6's .. and if Thailand kicks off about it I'd say

" prostitution ? what prostitution .. you must be mistaken " ..  

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 1