Brits banned from travelling internationally - including to Thailand

webfact

4 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Actually it is a right and cannot be taken away

You can be kept from boarding is what I think he is saying or for that matter leaving the country.  On top of that your passport can be taken by your government or even voided.  Only a privilege not a right.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Surprised the world didn't get together and does this years ago.

Brits voted to isolate themselves and give their exporters the choice between going out of business or having to open offices and warehouses in the EU. At least there’s one Brexit dividend  -  loads of jobs have been created in France and Holland

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Boarding an aircraft is a private matter with the airline you can still leave and enter even without a passport, legally. Immigration will wag their finger at you, but they can't stop you... And by the way, a passport IS a right, even though government will try to extend it to you as a 'privilege'. Why the Shamima Begum case is so interesting. If we assume she was registered British as a child, the UK government will almost certainly lose the case (naturalisation and registration are DIFFERENT).

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Sad 1

Uh oh,  another hot topic.    I see that there is already a large cluster forming at the bottom of

this page.      kind of a  cluster flock ....... descending on the "news" of the day

58 minutes ago, MickGC said:

Australia has been closed to non essential international travel for 12 months already.

The New Commonwealth of Karenists! ???? 

Don't forget to breathe. Like few times per minute at least. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Going on holiday has been illegal for Brits for a couple of months now. 

I think it was brought in early January, I think business and hospital appointments 

are the exception, I'm not sure how much scrutiny is done at departure though.

It was February!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shy coconut said:

I think it was brought in early January, I think business and hospital appointments 

I think that's true its just that they seem to be planning to enforce it a bit more now. 

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Seems draconian, controlling and boarder line Communistic.  Sure glad I am not from or in the UK.

I think the main reason isn't to stop people leaving the country but more to do with the fact they have to come back again if they are going on holiday and they aren't able to check that those returning follow quarantine rules. 

in Ireland we haven’t been “ allowed “ to travel for some time now under penalty of €500 .. rising to €2000 soon for leaving the country. Doesn’t stop those who really want to though! High % of arrivals in Ireland are returning from Holidays .. lots of these fines are impossible to collect ..Hotel quarantine is mandatory from next week on arrival for 2 weeks and at your own expense. 

My reckoning is that it will be lifted once the case numbers get better as the vaccine is rolled out ... when we can get it.. we seem to be left short all the time .. smaller country less clout in the EU... Won’t be forgotten here at election time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Those identified by police, who will be carrying out spot checks at airports, attempting to travel internationally without valid reason, such as for education or work, face being fined anywhere between £200 and £6,400. 

ah so this is why

i expect they don't want people spending their money in other countries too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

This is because British government has banned its citizens from travelling overseas on holiday.

Just in time for the Thailand's (proposed?) reduction to a 7 day quarantine. Splendido!

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

To understand this better, John who has tested negative and is currently on day 12 in his roam free ASQ resort,  meets Jim who has tested negative and is on day 4 of his ASQ. The two get on well together and join a bunch of other people in the resort.

John leaves the resort 2 days later and heads for the bars, meanwhile Jim, who previously tested negative on day 3, now tests positive on day 5.

Johns begin to feel unwell after a few days careering around the entertainment zones and coming into close contact with 100's of other people. John has Covid caught from Jim in his ASQ roam free resort and just before he leaves the ASQ. 

Quarantine, should mean quarantine .... you can't be half pregnant.

That is my point. I don't know if I agree with the quarantine system Thailand has established but since they went that route, let's make sure that it is as efficient as possible.

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Probability 101. Testing negative on the first day might mean x% chance you might turn out positive down the road. Testing negative on both day 1 and day 3 and the chance drops to y%, where y << x, which is deemed an acceptable risk.

I don't have the numbers obviously but there's data around if you look and I bet that's on what they based their decision.

I understand the system, but again I feel that the quarantine is established to avoid relying on probabilities.

Another unrelated fun fact, I went to visit a friend this afternoon at a private hospital in the outskirt of Bangkok. I was surprised that many patients and relatives were walking with their masks down in the premises and that there was no social distancing whatsoever in order. we were squeezed like sardines in the elevators with a doctor removing his mask to clean his glasses with it... People were coughing left and right. An experience I'll make sure to avoid doing again.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Timwin said:

The New Commonwealth of Karenists! ???? 

Don't forget to breathe. Like few times per minute at least. 

Plenty of room to breathe here mate. It's a big country with lots of room to travel about. Do I detect a hint of envy? 

4 minutes ago, MickGC said:

Plenty of room to breathe here mate. It's a big country with lots of room to travel about. Do I detect a hint of envy? 

Cancel culture is coming for vacations one day soon, as fun and enjoyment are not allowed if it can not be enjoyed by all......

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Yes, but there has been no checking or enforcement of it until now. 

6 hours ago, shy coconut said:

No Brits  or Aussies not a.bad thing 

27 minutes ago, MickGC said:

Digging up and shipping it to China-economy. 

2 hours ago, Timwin said:

... This is madness. The median age of victims has been 80+ years and 90 percent over 70 years old, 95+ percent over 60 and most with chronic conditions. Basically, the end of life care patients.

I'll be 65 soon and although I am in reasonable health, I still reckon you're a cock.

Or maybe you're already an orphan?

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Scofield said:

On the Thailand travel FB group already 4 people have been refused boarding today. 2 had not filled out the form and the other ones didn’t have a viable reason for travel.

ROFLMAO. Maybe there is a God.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Timwin said:

These pandemics happen every 15-30 years, lesser epidemics once in 5-10 years, nasty influenza winter seasons every few years. Are we going to shutdown and disrupt the global economy for years to come from now on every single time? The cure will be much more harmful than the disease. 

They have shutdown economies and closed borders, so what's your point.