Brits banned from travelling internationally - including to Thailand

webfact

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Think this story is more scare mongering than anything to be worried about.

The UK has clearly marked out a road map to get out of the covid situation - this including foreign holidays - and hopefully we will be well on the way to vaccinating the population (unlike Thailand) and opening up fully by May / June. 

With say vaccine passports international travel should be possible by the summer. An international travel ban on holidays during this interval should not be an issue to most.

I've been away from the wife for a year now, and want to get back without hoops - but we can both wait until October, it's near now than last March. 

My biggest fear is travel to Thailand this year being a non-starter due to THAILAND's vaccine inadequate roll-out

Absolutely spot-on! ????

I'm usually a "Snowbird" from UK to Thailand - obviously this winter hasn't been possible, so i've put it behind me.

Had my first vac, second in May, hopefully the Greek Islands in summer, then Thailand next winter........IF, as you say, the Thais abandon quarantine.

For that, we shall have to wait and see.

But, as has been the case for the last year, the situation is changing world-wide almost on a daily basis and, of course, "TIT"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lks7689 said:

When covid started we already know draconian measures are needed to keep it from becoming worse. And why it's still raging on now is because of people like you. 

If this affected your financial situation seriously I'd bet you would be the first to shout "open it all up!"....easy to judge when you are either a retiree or government employee or have enough savings. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Timwin said:

If this affected your financial situation seriously I'd bet you would be the first to shout "open it all up!"....easy to judge when you are either a retiree or government employee or have enough savings. 

Whining about the situation of others is not a help to those who are or are not affected, nor can someone change what governments have done, or are doing.  Accept what you can not, is a phrase heard over and over again.  You can not change things that have occurred, you can only change your direct sphere of influence.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Timwin said:

Did they not give benefits in the UK in the Netherlands companies and people hit by COVID get benefits. A lot of companies i do accounting for got their benefits. 

But yes its easy to say keep it closed if it does not affect you. But keeping it close is the safest option. But soon there will be enough people vaccinated so things can open up again. 

10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Whining about the situation of others is not a help to those who are or are not affected nor can someone change what governments have done or are doing.  Accept what you can not is a phrase heard over and over again.  You can not change things that have occurred, you can only change your direct sphere of influence.

Its sad but we see people wanting to open up because their business is hurting. That is understood thankfully in the Netherlands there are benefits for companies that don't make enough money anymore. But yes if it hits you in the pocket you look from it from a different angle.

That is why we have governments to make the hard choices what is best for the majority and try to help those affected. But opening up is not a solution unless enough people are vaccinated. I believe the UK is doing a great job at that.

Better then in my country my elderly parents and chronic sick brother who are all in the risk group have not been vaccinated yet. Havent heard about it yet either.

Edited by robblok
  • Like 2

There’s still the problem of quarantine in Thailand tho. So, after 3 days allowed to the pool / garden . But what about food, are you still obliged to eat hotel food in your room ? I’d hate that myself. 

3 hours ago, 10baht said:

Sorry buddy, it is not your right, it is only a privilege granted to you and may be taken away.

You take my citizenship away!? ???? 

Yes you dont know anything about my country , so you talk nonsense! If your country chance all they laws and things not my problem. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

You take my citizenship away!? ???? 

Yes you dont know anything about my country , so you talk nonsense! If your country chance all they laws and things not my problem. 

In Finland a travel document is just that a Travel document and it can be refused at any time.  Should you be convicted of a crime then they can also keep you from leaving the country.  Tell us more please because the Travel document can be made invalid by the police who issue them.

Passport and other travel documents – Finnish citizens' - Ministry for Foreign Affairs

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Looks like Boris doesn't want Brits going to dirty unvaccinated counties ???? 

Looks like Boris , wants Brits to spend their  money ,

in good hole,  Blighty .

Dont forget to bring you Sun cream .  Just in case ...

The TAT is completely lost.  That's why they are so concerned about saving face - they lose it every day.

Anyways....

With things changing, I'm sure that we will get some restrictions being lifted shortly.  I understand that they need studies to ensure that even more variants aren't going to be carried back.  

The only way to open a country successfully is to get the population inoculated.  Anything else is not going to work, I'm sorry to say.  If the health care system there gets overwhelmed, your little burn from riding on a motorcycle won't be looked at, broken arm, or whatever else is going on.  

I wouldn't quarantine 14 days for a holiday, or 7 days for a holiday.  No way.  And not in Thailand.  That would be absolutely horrible, and from what I've read of the experiences, it has been nothing short of horrible.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OswaldBastable said:

England was a total nightmare, you couldn't go out, then you could, then you couldn't.

The weather was awful, and even if you could go out everywhere was shut.

I can't see much surviving, everyone is just accumulating debt, all the rent/mortgage/loans will need to be paid in the end.

Thailand was about the only place I could find to escape after a year of that  nonsense.

And even that wasn't easy, and was expensive (about 3,000 pounds all in), but at least I have 3 months where hopefully I will be able to live a life again. If they ever let me out  of this hotel.

Never been to Asia before, looking forward to bars, beaches and whatever else there is to see and do.

Never been to Asia before, another lamb to the slaughter, 'hello hansum man'! ????????????

• Like 1

International travel on holiday is not permitted from UK until 17th May at the earliest, regardless of any other restrictions.

the next hurdle is going to be vaccination passports. It seems likely that many countries will require these.

As yet hardly anyone in UK has completed to 2 jab vaccine course, so this needs to be done and ten an internationally recognised passport system needs be put in place.

I suspect Thailand will be keen to use this system.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 8:22 PM, kwilco said:

International travel on holiday is not permitted from UK until 17th May at the earliest, regardless of any other restrictions.

the next hurdle is going to be vaccination passports. It seems likely that many countries will require these.

As yet hardly anyone in UK has completed to 2 jab vaccine course, so this needs to be done and ten an internationally recognised passport system needs be put in place.

I suspect Thailand will be keen to use this system.

Just came from there, it's really bad, you're  not even supposed to leave your home for recreational purposes, all bars and restaurants closed. It's become an extreme police state, and most people have just accepted it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, OswaldBastable said:

Just came from there, it's really bad, you're  not even supposed to leave your home for recreational purposes, all bars and restaurants closed. It's become an extreme police state, and most people have just accepted it.

Funny that... worked in Oztho! 

28 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Funny that... worked in Oztho! 

After being locked in a bedsit (recently  divorced, Worthing) for a year looking at a bottle of paracetamol, I jumped ship.

The refugees in the other rooms seemed nice enough (they also had recently jumped ship), but had no English (and I had no Arabic).

I was envious of all the welfare visitors, and the free  ride they had, nobody visited me and I had to pay for everything myself.

Good luck to those that have the will power to survive, locked in, with no end to the pain in sight.

In Thailand, with only 9 days left before I'm let out, I feel a lot more hopeful for my future.

Edited by OswaldBastable
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

3  Days of "connection Failed" and now this site has changed its format. Jeez.

It's called an 'update' I used to dread 'updates' on one last job I was on.  About once a month on a monday morning nothing would get done for hours.  People screaming at IT about lost e-mails, contact lists etc etc.  Usually a day wasted trying to sort things out.

Edited by overherebc

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

It's called an 'update' I used to dread 'updates' on one last job I was on.  About once a month on a monday morning nothing would get done for hours.  People screaming at IT about lost e-mails, contact lists etc etc.  Usually a day wasted trying to sort things out.

It appears the update still has some bugs in it. Sort of like the Governments Plans for opening up tourism, and then vaccination rollouts as well.  I wish I could get away with spraying the media with hand sanitizer, but oh well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

It appears the update still has some bugs in it. Sort of like the Governments Plans for opening up tourism, and then vaccination rollouts as well.  I wish I could get away with spraying the media with hand sanitizer, but oh well.

An injection of dettol might be better.

Can I decide on the orifice to inject it into??

On 3/8/2021 at 8:17 PM, newnative said:

Uh oh.  There goes those 6 million Brit tourists they were expecting this year.

Personally, I'm going to take full advantage of this by visiting Koh Chang, Phuket, and Koh Mak's deserted beaches. I hope they still have the 40% discount! 

• Like 1