I find it incredibly annoying when driving on Thai roads when slow drivers stay in the right lane.

jack71

Some people, for whatever reason , take comfort in staying in the same lane.

My former Sister in law in the UK when joining s 3 lane motorway would automatically move into 

the middle lane and stay there, she didn't like overtaking and claims she was taught to do so in a 

lesson.

22 minutes ago, toolpush said:

Tooting your horn can have extremely negative consequences in Thailand. Right up there with giving someone the bird. Can result in severe road rage, pulled guns, chasing you down, machetes, etc, etc

Yes.....I had forgotten....first few times I did this, the wife went ballistic......having read of many incidents, including the use of guns, I can now see why.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, annoying. Sometimes I flash at them, then sometimes they move, sometimes they don't. But generally it's easier for me to just overtake on the left.

well that is the whole point...   there is nothing wrong with moving to another lane and resuming your journey! 

- there are many who are scared of travelling faster than another vehicle that is in the lane to their Right (they seem to want to call that 'undertaking' ???? 

(LOS, just like Australia and many other countries) ; are Not like the US, UK and Europe that have that weird No  Undertaking Law ) 

• Confused 2

Or when they drive slow and stay on the right lane.

Or when they overtake you left, right and soon fly overhead.

I came back from Koh Chang and had 3 idiot bus drivers in convoy. They just stayed on the right lane and if someone trying to overtake from the left, they just would accelerate and not let in the other driver.

Has ever someone here done a real driving school?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, shy coconut said:

Some people, for whatever reason , take comfort in staying in the same lane.

My former Sister in law in the UK when joining s 3 lane motorway would automatically move into 

the middle lane and stay there, she didn't like overtaking and claims she was taught to do so in a 

lesson.

was probably a "cooking" lesson.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, toolpush said:

Tooting your horn can have extremely negative consequences in Thailand. Right up there with giving someone the bird. Can result in severe road rage, pulled guns, chasing you down, machetes, etc, etc

The suggestion wasn't entirely serious!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tifino said:

well that is the whole point...   there is nothing wrong with moving to another lane and resuming your journey! 

- there are many who are scared of travelling faster than another vehicle that is in the lane to their Right (they seem to want to call that 'undertaking' ???? 

(LOS, just like Australia and many other countries) ; are Not like the US, UK and Europe that have that weird No  Undertaking Law ) 

In my opinion the "no undertaking" laws make sense and increase road safety. But they do of course depend on people following the "stay in the left lane unless there is an obstacle or overtaking" law. The latter isn't adhered to by many Thai drivers, so a "no undertaking" law wouldn't make sense in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Not only that.

I see many bicyclists who think they own the road by cycling slowly and blocking  traffic coming from behind in narrow roads.

I don't know how the drivers got their driving licences in the first place? If you are slow, turn to the left and let the faster cars pass first.

The same goes to bicyclists who are obliviously selfish and think they own the road.

Edited by EricTh

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

Probably on their phones like everyone else.  Just slow incompetent texters.

I've seen moronic motorcyclists texting while riding on their bikes slowly, oblivious to the back traffic.

Edited by EricTh

some of them think they'll get to where there going faster, because they are in the fast lane

but the death toll on the roads should be highlited more, its not bad luck or Karma, its lack of knowledge about what can/could happen

Edited by bolt

23 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Yes.....I had forgotten....first few times I did this, the wife went ballistic......having read of many incidents, including the use of guns, I can now see why.

It can be the other way around also,Ann can get so annoyed with these bad drivers that

she sometimes says:'Good i do not have my gun!"

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jackdd said:

In my opinion the "no undertaking" laws make sense and increase road safety. But they do of course depend on people following the "stay in the left lane unless there is an obstacle or overtaking" law. The latter isn't adhered to by many Thai drivers, so a "no undertaking" law wouldn't make sense in Thailand.

No law makes sense over here,nobody cares about the laws because they are not enforced.

47 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes, annoying. Sometimes I flash at them, then sometimes they move, sometimes they don't. But generally it's easier for me to just overtake on the left.

I  just   undertake  them  pull in front and slow down to a crawl, they  move over then  but  not before they've  flashed their  lights at you  oblivious to the fact it's  exactly what they are doing.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

What nonsense I  use the horn and no ones cut  my  head  off or shot me, only the other day motorcycle got the  full  BLAST.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1