I find it incredibly annoying when driving on Thai roads when slow drivers stay in the right lane.

jack71

1 hour ago, jack71 said:

Nearly everyday I find I'm in the right lane of a 2 or 3 lane busy road and I'm stuck behind a brain dead driver going really slow. I usually proceed to flash high beam and mostly they

move over but sometimes they do not. 

I too get annoyed with slow drivers in the fast lane.  BUT, I have to admit that if I'm driving along in the fast lane and some maniac comes up behind me flashing his lights, I get annoyed with that as well.  (Usually cause I'm already going 110-120 kph.)  Anyways, just offering another perspective. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack71 said:

Please take a stand and flash your high beam at any slow drivers in the right hand lane. 

Do you have good health insurance? Check it covers you for gunshot wounds and death.

• Haha 2

Driving mannerism are totally different in Thailand to the aggressive and hot headed style we know and hate back in the countries we came from and thank god for that and if it takes to get used to some drivers driving in the right lane than so be it...

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not nonsense at all...  Thailand is a nation full of entitled princes who lack the ability to control their temperament in any situation involving criticism or conflict. Using the horn is an indication of criticism and instigation of conflict (even if your wester perspective doesn’t see it this way). 

While most people will not ‘over react’ to someone hitting their horn, the possibility of someone who lacks the emotional tools and overreacts is elevated in comparison to our home nations. The possibility of these same characters carrying weapons is also greatly elevated compared to our home nations.

You make it sound like Thailand is the only place that road rage exists....which is completely bogus.  America is the home of road rage.  People will literally shoot each other over the silliest things.  There are unhinged drivers everywhere.  

As for using your horn, there are perfectly acceptable situations to use your horn.  To avoid a collision, for one.  Or to remind the guy in front that the light has turned green (if he/she's playing with his/her phone).  But no, one should not use your horn just to express displeasure.  If someone did it to me, they'll surely get the finger.   

You might find that some just are brain dead and should not be driving and the other reason is they are on their mobile phones. Happens all the time on certain roads in CM. When I am on my bike I turn back to them shaking my finger to get off the phone. Most Thai think phones and driving are a right of passage. 

11 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

You make it sound like Thailand is the only place that road rage exists....which is completely bogus.  America is the home of road rage.  People will literally shoot each other over the silliest things.  There are unhinged drivers everywhere.  

As for using your horn, there are perfectly acceptable situations to use your horn.  To avoid a collision, for one.  Or to remind the guy in front that the light has turned green (if he/she's playing with his/her phone).  But no, one should not use your horn just to express displeasure.  If someone did it to me, they'll surely get the finger.   

No, I didn’t...  You do know what ‘elevated’ means ??... as in  'elevated in comparison to our home nations’ ???

I wrote of what happens and can happen in Thailand on a forum called ‘ThaiVisa’ in a thread about what happens on Thai roads...

If you want to discuss that it happens elsewhere.... then go and read ‘elsewhereforum.com’  !!!! 

I wrote that there are more weapons in cars here than we would bear witness to in most of our home countries and in general when tempers flare Thai’s are less emotionally equipt to handle the conflict without violence than we are used to.

If you don’t think so, one would have to question where you are posting from and if you have ever been to Thailand. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Absolutely agree...  with the exception of ‘using your finger’ which in itself is more inflammatory than using the horn to express displeasure and can escalate a situation to levels you yourself lack the tools or ability to safely de-escalate...

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its not nonsense at all...  Thailand is a nation full of entitled princes who lack the ability to control their temperament in any situation involving criticism or conflict. Using the horn is an indication of criticism and instigation of conflict (even if your wester perspective doesn’t see it this way). 

While most people will not ‘over react’ to someone hitting their horn, the possibility of someone who lacks the emotional tools and overreacts is elevated in comparison to our home nations. The possibility of these same characters carrying weapons is also greatly elevated compared to our home nations. 

------

I was in the car with a Thai friend, a car was driving slowly in the middle lane, weaving... I thought the driver of that horn was drunk... as I passed I didn’t want him to swerve into me so I papped the horn before passing. My Thai friend warned me not to do that again... People can react terribly.

Another situation, a white-minivan pulled out from the side or the road as I was approaching the junction, it looked as if he was about to pull out and cut me off, I would have hit him - maybe too late to emergency brake (I’m not sure), I hit the horn quickly....    the van then pulled out along side me to my left, opened his window and started shouting at me, he made a ‘gun symbol’ with his fingers.... I just ignored him and carried on until he gave up. 

Yet another situation... coming back from Hua-in.. 2 lane road (in each direction)... following queued moving traffic at about 40kmh...  very busy, cars nose to take with a little ’space’ between... a car darting yup the inside lane between lorries which were, going slightly slower, then cutting out... Just as I was passing the lorry this car darted out forcing me to slam on my brakes or I would have hit him...  I hit my horn. 

The car in front stopped...  so I moved to the inside lane to go past him. The car blocked me on the inside lane. I moved to the outside lane to, the car blocked me on the outside lane. Then accelerated hard, then slowed, as I (and the other traffic caught up, the car slammed his brakes on again)... this went on for about 10 mins... Lots of scenarios went through my mind... one of them involved him getting out of the car to try and attack me... If he had a weapon I would have had no choice but to run him over...   Ultimately I just held back and remained doing so until he got bored and screamed off, into traffic and doing exactly the same to other vehicles.

In each situation I was correct to hit the horn - in each situation hitting the horn could have created an escalation whereby myself and the other occupants of my car are placed at risk of a violent response from the juvenile but aggressive mind of an idiot. 

I mainly use horns for dogs on the road. In a car not really but on my bike yes as is sort of a different feel for the driver. But oh yes you are correct. The horn is something that infuriates the average small brained Thai guy. Dangerous if you do it. 

20 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Nothing wrong with Thai drivers

The traffic appears to be going the wrong way for that video to be from Thailand and not single pick up truck in sight.

Not saying they don't do that mind.

Edited by KhaoYai

2 hours ago, jack71 said:

Nearly everyday I find I'm in the right lane of a 2 or 3 lane busy road and I'm stuck behind a brain dead driver going really slow. I usually proceed to flash high beam and mostly they

move over but sometimes they do not. 

A typical situation occurs when a car is driving slow in a right lane because they are going to turn right or do a U turn further up the road- Even though it might be 1 to 2 km away....

I recently renewed my DL again for 5 yrs. I noticed they had the same video as before. Its presented by a slightly overweight/ chubby thai guy with a funny smiling face. Presumably he is acting out the road rules. They clearly need to update that video as I cant believe its the same one as 5 yrs ago. It looks like it was shot 20 yrs ago. 

I think its time that we all teach the Thai drivers to drive slow in the left lane only. Please take a stand and flash your high beam at any slow drivers in the right hand lane. 

cheers

Jack

I bet Thai people on escalators really grind your gears too?

3 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

I find it incredibly annoying when driving on Thai roads when slow drivers stay in the right lane.

I find it annoying when there are Thai drivers in any lane, but hey, not much I can do about it, it's their country!

Not too annoying when they are in 'a' lane......but keeping your options open seems popular....this lane/that lane/no that lane....

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

I too get annoyed with slow drivers in the fast lane.  BUT, I have to admit that if I'm driving along in the fast lane and some maniac comes up behind me flashing his lights, I get annoyed with that as well.  (Usually cause I'm already going 110-120 kph.)  Anyways, just offering another perspective. 

It's not the "fast lane". Unless you are overtaking you should not be in this lane, so it sounds like you are in the wrong, thus I don't see a reason why you should get annoyed.

I can see why people want to "cruise" in the fast lane, but in this case the driver should at least keep an eye on his rear view mirror, and if another vehicle is approaching from behind, move out of the way before the other vehicle is forced to slow down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

I can’t believe thats Thailand.... those lorry drivers did extremely well to brake in time and avoid that car, not one of them drowzy... Not a hint of brake failure.. no external michelin men, no external air-horns, neither lorry had 347 mirrors and 14 sets of headlights... there are proper crash barriers and no one has set up a stall on the side of the road....  

Can’t be Thailand... That has to be a Thai driver somewhere in Europe !!!!  :whistling:   :cheesy:  :1zgarz5:

Saw the very same thing...M62 east bound......woman realized she had nearly missed her turning...she was sat stationary in the middle lane (indicating left to be fair) waiting for a gap in the fast moving slow lane......

8 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

I bet Thai people on escalators really grind your gears too?

Oh no.. You’ve started something there....   The hesitation when getting on an escalator...  as if the person is making a great career choice...  'One small step for a Thai auntie, one giant leap in the decision making process - should I go now or wait for the next step’ !!!! 

Nearly as infuriating as going to a UK supermarket filled with geriatric women blocking off the isle with their shopping trolley while trying to read the sell-by-date on a preserved food item... 

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

It's not the "fast lane". Unless you are overtaking you should not be in this lane, so it sounds like you are in the wrong, thus I don't see a reason why you should get annoyed.

I can see why people want to "cruise" in the fast lane, but in this case the driver should at least keep an eye on his rear view mirror, and if another vehicle is approaching from behind, move out of the way before the other vehicle is forced to slow down.

I'm not saying I was in the right, only that I was annoyed.  Human nature I suppose.  Fact is, I was in the "passing lane" because I was passing other slower vehicles.  But the guy behind just wanted to go even faster.  This is not a huge deal.  I drive every single day and don't let minor annoyances bother me much.  

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:
3 hours ago, shy coconut said:

Have you tried tooting your horn?

Or overtaking on the inside and waving a replica pistol out of the window as you do so?

Believe me when I tell you it's not a replica.

Putting up with the appalling driving is a small price to pay for living in this wonderful country.

But while we're all letting off a bit of frustration,

Up here in Esaan, the local government, in its wisdom, has started to build roundabouts everywhere.

The only problem is, nobody seems to have a clue how to use them.

They eather stop on the roundabout, and give way (yield) to approaching traffic, or pull out on me from the left when I'm on the roundabout.

I think they should show a public information film during the commercial break of all the Thai drama's, or stop building them and replace them with Fai deng.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toolpush said:

Tooting your horn can have extremely negative consequences in Thailand. Right up there with giving someone the bird. Can result in severe road rage, pulled guns, chasing you down, machetes, etc, etc

I can still remember my driving instructor in Australia saying if you need to use the horn, it's your bad driving, not someone else's.

Here, I just pass on the left when the coast is clear, and get back into the RH lane. If someone comes up in my mirrors, I move over.